Hi everyone!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clevername

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I just wanted to mention what a refeif it is to find another rabbit loving community which is more accepting.

I love rabbits (which is why I've dedicated myself to raising a critically threatened breed) and I've been lurking around a couple other rabbit forums for awhile now. Unfortunatly as a breeder about all I could do was lurk or constantly censor my posts because these forums were very much against even talking about pairing rabbits intentionally. Now I understand the bias against such things but it was extremely frustrating reading post after post bashing breeders (often with grossly generalized statments) without being allowed to defend myself.

So anyway I'm done venting and I'm here now so I just wanted to thank everyone for being a part of a community which incorporates all aspects of keeping rabbits.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome! We're glad you found us!

RO is a very inclusive forum whose members just love rabbits. And that's what's important, you know? We do welcome responsible breeders and are welcome to learning new things and meeting new people. (Look at me, I sound like the "welcome wagon" - he he!)

We have a couple of members here who have english angoras and I, for one, am currently enthralled by the breed. They're just stunning to look at and seem to have really wonderful personalities. And I've seen silver foxes and they're beautiful. I'd love to see some photos of your bunnies.

I hope to see you around and hear more about you and your rabbits. Again, welcome!

Thank you very much.

Both breeds have very nice natures which is why I'm drawn to them so much. If you're intersted in EAs you should go to a rabbit show and ask to pet one--that's how I got hooked :D

I'll no doubt post some pictures soon. One of my angora does is due for a shearing so I'll be posting some before and after pictures sometime in the future.

:welcome1to the forum! You will indeed find this a friendly site filled with great information and wonderful people. I look forward to seeing some pictures of your bunnies, everyone loves pictures, and hearing about your life as a bunny slave.

You can start a blog in that section of the site.

Glad you found RO.

Hi Clevername (love that by the way).. And yes, RO is a VERY friendly forum - can't wait to see your photos and curious (I'm new to buns s- bare w/me) but do you do anything with the fur (and is it wool or is that only from sheep?) you've shorn? ;)

Yep, angora produce usable wool. I actually harvest mine and spin it by hand to make scarves and what-not. Their fur is super soft and warm, there's really nothing like it

Of course I may be a little biased.:)

Hi there and welcome to RO! :welcome1

That bun in your avatar is just beautiful- is that a baby angora?

Oh and I love your username. Awesome. Welcome to the forum! :hug:

Yep. The bun in my avatar is one of my lilac does at about 3 months. They are so cute at that age.

Anyway, thank you all very much. I think I'll like it here.:)

ok I finally got some pictures up on the internet...here we go!

This is Banya one of our Silver Fox 3 1/2 month old doe. She's just the sweetest little thing, very gentle very laid back.

banya.jpg

Next is Homer our Silver Fox buck. He's from the same stock but a different line (Silver Fox are critically endangered so they are hard to come by). He's got his silvering in a bit earlier.:D

homer.jpg

Here is Flour our ruby-eyed white doe getting ready to show. She's about 5 months here. This month we are going to get her senior weight and give her her first shearing.

angora.jpg

This is Freya. She is a prime example of why you shouldn't let your rabbits know they are adorable. She gets away with everything...

freya.jpg

Last but not least we have Hrothgar. He's crazy but we love him anyway.

hroth.jpg

Anyway that's the crew...for now:D

Hi clevername! welcome to RO :)

wow your buns are beautiful!! we don't have either breeds here in Malaysia, so you'll have to post more pics for me :p:p

how often do you need to groom each EA? they looks like little fluffy clouds to me lol! i wish i can feel their fur!

somebunny wrote:
Hi clevername! welcome to RO :)

wow your buns are beautiful!! we don't have either breeds here in Malaysia, so you'll have to post more pics for me :p:p

how often do you need to groom each EA? they looks like little fluffy clouds to me lol! i wish i can feel their fur!
Thanks! I'll be sure to post more.

We aim to groom them daily durring exercise time (so they look forward to it). When they are babies their coats are very very soft and mat easily. But when they hit maturity it becomes very silky and I estimate you can get away with brushing them out only once a week. I know a few people who keep them as fiber animals and they just shear them every couple months.

Wow they are just brilliant! The white ones look like they have their hair in pigtails!

So cute and (very quietly - adorable,, ssshh - do not want them to know) :D

PS: Do all of your buns get along?

:wave2Howdy There!Welcome to you and your lovely bun buns!This is truely a great forum, and the members make it that much better.

Your buns are wonderful! I loved the pictures!!!!:sunshine:

hmm.. what does 'fiber animal' mean? Does it mean that the bunnies are used as a source for wool, hence the frequent shearing?

weekly groomings.. sounds alright.. how is it like when EAs go though a heavy molt? my bunnies have short fur and it 'snows' bunny hair when its molting time :biggrin2: would there be a snowstorm when EAs molt?

somebunny wrote:
hmm.. what does 'fiber animal' mean? Does it mean that the bunnies are used as a source for wool, hence the frequent shearing?

weekly groomings.. sounds alright.. how is it like when EAs go though a heavy molt? my bunnies have short fur and it 'snows' bunny hair when its molting time :biggrin2: would there be a snowstorm when EAs molt?
You hit the nail on the head. People keep angora rabbits just like some people keep sheep. Their wool is great for scarves...extremely warm.

My experience is that they don't molt too badly---if at all. But they pretty much are always shedding. If you hold an English Angora, you will be covered in tuffs of wool. I find it on my couch, on my clothes...stuck in my husbands beard...it gets everywhere. But brushing out all that loose fur really seems to keep things from getting too out of control--at least far from snowstorm proportions.:biggrin2:

juliew19673 wrote:
PS: Do all of your buns get along?
I can put my does out to frolic with very little problems. They are all unaltered so I have to keep and eye on them to make sure everyone plays nice. But everyone seems to get along since I let them exercise on nuetral ground. Flour and Freya have even been spotted snuggling.

My two bucks would be more than happy to join them but they get their own private exercise time because we don't want any fighting or unscheduled mating.

Our girls love to taunt them though. We sometimes let them out to play among the cages and Hrothgar binkis in his pen like crazy. When they run up to sniff him he pulls on his cage door with his teeth.

Latest posts

Back