Hi!! Angora breeder and spinner here.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverpines

Reaction score
I went searching on the net for a forum thats more geared toward pet rabbits. I dont raise meat rabbits.
I tried meat rabbits but I didnt care for the meat enough. So I quit that route.
I have chickens for meat and eggs instead. :)
I raise fiber buns because I spin and I love the fluffy buns!

My rabbits are spoiled but thats ok. :) They are worth the spoiling. :)

I am very protective of them so they are not housed outside. They all have an addition thats was built onto our house so they basically have their own room. They are caged and need to be because of the long wool.

I dont care for wire bottoms but my pedigree English needs it as he has long wool all over including his underside. Several of my French and French crosses are on solid bottoms as they have short wool underneath.
I am slowly working on changing the rest of the French and crosses cages to solid bottom.
Yes the wool may get a little messy with hay and aspen shavings but thats ok. My buns are more comfy and I dont mind the little extra time in grooming.
I dont show my rabbits or anything. I raise them just for the pleasure of having buns and for the beautiful wool.

I have over 13 rabbits. :)

I also have Angora goats and Cotswold sheep. :)
I love fiber. :)

:helloand :welcome1to RabbitsOnline. I am glad you found the site. RO is a very active, friendly and helpful website devoted to rabbits and their slaves.

Here are some good links to areas of the site you might find interesting, the Library section, full of good reference info, Bunny Blog, where you can keep everyone up to date on your bunny and your life as a bunny slave and if you bunny would like to ask questions of other buns the Bunny Chat is the spot to be. The regional forum is a good way to find a rabbit savvy vet or to post places where you get some of your supplies for your bun etc. For the lighter side and to give you a chuckle or two stop by the go to the Let Your Hare Down section for anything but bunny's.

Here is link to the rules of the site, light reading Rabbits Online Forum Rules.

You don't have to say what city your in but if you could update your profile withthe areayour in, may be likeNorth west Ohio, Canada, UK etc, that would help others provide you with info that may help you and your bunny.

If you would like to post pictures in your post this link How to put photo's in your posts will help explain that.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with info. This is a wonderful site and I look forward to seeing pictures and reading some stories.

Dave

Not to over whelmed. But it took me a little time to find the areas of my profile so I could update everything.

I already posted a question here and was in such a hurry as I am so excited by my latest bun that I did that first before anything else. LOL

Thanks for all the info. :)

OH ok I was so excited you would b close to me. I am on the Mississippi and I take a bride to get to WI (like 5 min for me)

Either way welcome and we would love pics of your buns!!!

Fancy77 wrote:
OH ok I was so excited you would b close to me. I am on the Mississippi and I take a bride to get to WI (like 5 min for me)

Either way welcome and we would love pics of your buns!!!
The Mississippi is so beautiful!!!!!!

I am on a smaller river, the Sugar river. I love it though. I originally grew up on the Wolf river and the Sugar reminds me of home. I am home. :)

Our land is the River bottoms so its great. Seasonal floods and frogs everywhere!! LOL
But we're river rats here so for us its heaven. :)

I just installed Win7 on my pc so I dont have anything back on it yet. I will get pics up eventually. I have my web site I am working on but so far I just have some goat pics there, a birthing.
I do have my thread on here, the rabbitry show section, about the color of our new baby bun, I have her pic there. :)

With winter coming I am hoping to have more time to work on the many projects I have going like the pc and website. :)

so then if u r river rats you must have a boat or pontoon. R u weekend warriors or do u have a dock by u??

I will check that thread out.

We used to have a boat but didnt use it enough..kinda ironic 2 min. off the Miss. and we didnt use the boat enough. Hubby likes to fish but he doesnt do that enough either. I am not a big fan of eating fish from the Miss who knows whats in there. they even had articles in the local paper on not eating too many fish from the Miss.

well u'll have to post your website Id love to check it out.

Hi and Welcome :wave:.

Have you considered litter training your bunnies? If they are litter trained, you don't need to use wood shaving in the cage and a grate can be used over the litter in the box so they don't sit in pee and poop. A blanket can be used in the main part of the cage. It should help keep your angoras cleaner and happier. A hay rack does help with them getting hay in the wool. but some rabbits do like to pull it out and make a mess.

I have a giant angora who I got from a breeder. She has mostly lived on a wire cage (with resting boards and such), but she took to litter training fairly quickly. I finally have her using just 1 large box and most of her poops get in there too. I have only had her for a few months, but she doesn't get very dirty feet and the hay in she doesn't get hay in her wool.

You need to get some pics. We love them here.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Hi and Welcome :wave:.

Have you considered litter training your bunnies? If they are litter trained, you don't need to use wood shaving in the cage and a grate can be used over the litter in the box so they don't sit in pee and poop. A blanket can be used in the main part of the cage. It should help keep your angoras cleaner and happier. A hay rack does help with them getting hay in the wool. but some rabbits do like to pull it out and make a mess.

I have a giant angora who I got from a breeder. She has mostly lived on a wire cage (with resting boards and such), but she took to litter training fairly quickly. I finally have her using just 1 large box and most of her poops get in there too. I have only had her for a few months, but she doesn't get very dirty feet and the hay in she doesn't get hay in her wool.

You need to get some pics. We love them here.
Hi! I have over 13 rabbits so blankets and such are not really an option. ;)
Depending on the time of year and what we are all breeding that number can skyrocket!
They all do have litter pans but I still use shavings and hay throughout their cages, They like it. Hay is their main nibbles too as I never had wool block and strongly believe in free choice hay. They always have fresh hay.
We farm so hay is easy here. We use a blend of various grasses and alfalfa.
Plus hay keeps them warm in winter as they burrow into it when it gets real cold.
Most of our breeding is in winter and they make huge nest in the hay.
Finding the kits can be a challenge sometimes. ;)

They are not in the house. They are in an addition built to the house that's not heated. We made it so we can get to the rabbtry from outside or from the basement. But preditors cant gert in and we have a lot of predators here!
If I had cages outside, the risk from coons, fox, weasels, etc is just to great. The rabbits would most likely get ripped apart.

The only time we move rabbits into the house, the basement, is when the rabbitry wont go above freezing anymore. Then they are all moved to the basement where its stays at 38 during the worse of the winter.

I hate frozen water.
We have enough of that with the chickens, goats and sheep.
So the rabbits get a little spoiled, no freezing weather in winter. :)

Fancy77 wrote:
so then if u r river rats you must have a boat or pontoon. R u weekend warriors or do u have a dock by u??

I will check that thread out.

We used to have a boat but didnt use it enough..kinda ironic 2 min. off the Miss. and we didnt use the boat enough. Hubby likes to fish but he doesnt do that enough either. I am not a big fan of eating fish from the Miss who knows whats in there. they even had articles in the local paper on not eating too many fish from the Miss.

well u'll have to post your website Id love to check it out.
Our river is small, no dock needed!
We swim in it all summer and its shallow, 6 ft max in the channel.
We all can swim and when its low, walk to the other side. Its narrow.
We have several boats but dont use them. No reason. We have them up for sale.
We had them before we bought this place.
We dont want to go anywhere on the river. We like it right where we are. :)

Its a small river and not really a boating type of a river. More a canoeing river but we are not to interested in that either.
We like swimming and playing in the water. Thats it.
My kids love frog hunting and playing in the mud flats, yuk!

We have 2 marshes on our land that we love. They get a flush of fresh water during each flood, several times a year. They are so pretty and the wildlife is awesome. Thats what we like about living on the river, the wildlife and flora and the changing appearance of the seasons, flood, wet, dry, etc.

OK so if u have 2 marshes how many acres do u own?? sounds like you have a wonderful piece of heaven there. Ya I wanna see pics of your place 2..I am putting in my order early. Pics of all the bunnys and your place :)

I grew up on a 300+ acre dairy farm in Cochrane, WI 30 min from where I am now. We had every animal under the sun.

Ya know you could always start a blog...that wud b great.

We own only 3 acres of ag land with 350Ft of river frontage.
We are surrounded by farms.
We barter, trade and work with other farms.
Thats how we stay in hay and supplies. :)
We have just enough space to maintain our herd of sheep and goats which right now is only 11 animals.
4 Sheep, 3 Angora goats and 4 pygora's.
But that 11 keeps me in fiber!!! LOL
Oh and we have a flock of heritage, cross breed chickens and the rabbtry. :)

The chickens dont supply any fiber though. But they have pretty feathers!! :)
Molting time me and the kids go gather feathers for crafts and to give to our friends and family for crafts.

OMG that sounds so lovely!!!

What do u do with all this fiber??

OMG I had a couple of those kinda chickens on the farm I was in charge of eggs from the age of 3. Dad decided since I was up at 4:30 am everyday following him around that I needed to earn my keep lol I hate chickens btw lol They hurt me physically and mentally lol

I might be sending u cash and my address for some of the feathers tho they would look great on a quilt.

I spin!! I make my own yarns then make blankets, coats and all sorts of things for family and friends.

I am working on spinning 6 ply heavy weight to make myself a macrame hammock! :)

OMG u go girl way too crafty 4 me. I dont know anything about spinning except u can take classes 4 it but its not as popular as yoga and aerobics lmao

Latest posts

Back