hi all

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucylocket

Reaction score
hi all
hope you are all welll
the thing is a couple of months ago i had lucy to the vet for her makeover eg nails trimmer and a though brushing
i was quite surprized when i asked the vet about the mixie jab and the vhd jab
he said with her beening s house rabbit there was no point

but mt friend has a house cat and she always gets his jabs cause she said you dont no wat your bringing into the house
advice would be grateful
varna xxxxxx

Hi Varna! We missed you and Lucy :)

As far as I know you need to vaccinate all rabbits, indoor and outdoor. As you mentioned there are many ways these diseases can be spread and even house rabbits can be affected.

Heres a quote from the RO Library:

Is my rabbit at risk?

Myxomatosis poses a threat to all pet rabbits – but the risk varies depending on whether your rabbit lives inside or outside.

Pet rabbits at greatest risk are those living outside, especially if they may have any contact with wild rabbits or hares. Pet rabbits affected by rabbit fleas are also at very high risk - rabbit owners who also have a dog or cat that hunts wild rabbits (or foxes that visit the garden and nose around rabbit hutches) must be particularly careful, in case rabbit fleas are brought back to the pet bunny.

Houserabbits living permanently indoors are at less risk than outdoor rabbits, but can and do get myxomatosis. They must be vaccinated and protected from possible sources of myxomatosis transmission too.

Heres some more info for you here: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=25867&forum_id=10

Maybe you should see about finding another vet who's more rabbit savvy?

Hi Varna. Yes, definately have Lucy vaccinated against both. Both diseases have been bad in the UK this year, and house rabbits can still catch them, either by insects or things carried in to the house. Better safe than sorry:)

Jan

Latest posts

Back