Hhelp

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
My Dutch is producing tiny poops sometimes with small amount of brown liquid.
What should I do to correct. What is the cause?

You should probably take him/her to the vet. It can be caused by MANY things, including but not limited to: teeth problems, severe bacterial overgrowth, mild bacterial overgrowth, stress, tumors, etc.

Tiny poops occur when the guts slow. As RavenousDragon said, this can come from several different causes (stress, pain, teeth problems...). This is not an illness in itself, it's a side effect caused by another problem. There may be no need to treat the guts in themselves as long as they don't stop (that your rabbit is still pooping) and that your rabbit is eating a healthy amount (his own body) in hay. BUT you need a vet to understand what's the underlaying problem and to treat it as well as the pain your rabbit is probably feeling.
I also don't really like the brown liquid you mention. Small poops can indicate quite a lot of things, not necessary life threatening, but a discharge to go with it could indicate an infection. In any case, I wouldn't wait before going to a rabbit savvy vet. Sick rabbits can often be saved if they are treated fast but their condition tend to worsen pretty quickly.

I agree. Take him to the vet asap before it gets worse. Keep us updated on how he's doing!

My dutch is a female. I took note that her former care person had given her a hand full plus of dried Papaya. She was totally anxious to have more, more, and more when I would give her just a few (4) each morning. Also found that the second ingredient on her old pellets (which I was still giving her mixed with mine) was alfalfa. She is 5 years old. I took away the papaya and her old pellets. Also gave her a dropper full of canola oil. She improved within two days and is now doing very well.
She receives one baked timothy with apple hard treat and alfalfa free pellets each day, plus all the timothy grass hay she can eat plus a few greens. Also switched her from the bottle water to a water bowl. She is a happy and active little bunnie now.

Latest posts

Back