Hey there I’m new to breeding rabbits and have some questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophiebunny

Reaction score
Hi there everyone I’m new here

I have two pet rabbits, one male and one female. They are mixed breed and about 5 months old,
I wanted to breed them before I get them fixed. Today I put them together for an hour to see what happened, the female was willing to mate and the male had about 6 fall offs with loud grunts. They are currently living in separate pens and are doing well. Here’s my questions:

Will she definitely be pregnant?

Do I need to put them together again? And what will happen if they breed again while she’s pregnant?

What should I feed the female now she’s pregnant? She currently eats unlimited Timothy hay, 1/4 cup of alfalfa pellets and a cup of veggies (usually collard greens and romaine lettuce).

Should I breed them again on day fourteen to be sure she’s pregnant? I’ve heard this is dangerous though, what do you guys think?

It will be her first litter, is they’re anything bad that might happen that I should be prepared for?

thanks to everyone who reads this and answers my questions :)

She is most likely pregnant.

About 5 months old is more like 4,5 or 5,5? Are they siblings?

Any pics of them, any more info?

They are mixed breed but who were their parents, I mean if you have any idea how big they will grow? Asking because larger breeds mature later than dwarf breeds.

What size they are is male bigger or female?

Last edited:
She is most likely pregnant.

About 5 months old is more like 4,5 or 5,5? Are they siblings?

Any pics of them, any more info?

Hi there thanks for commenting on my post

they will be 5 months old in just over a week

Yes they are siblings pics will be attached

I never met their parents I adopted them from a lady who could no longer care for them, however the male looks like he’s a Dutch rabbit and the female looks like a cinnamon rabbit.

the female is bigger

Here’s picture of them (female is the brown one male is the one with white).

Attachments

• 8F8B278E-7C64-4A53-9FD3-3E92AD21865B.jpeg
    8F8B278E-7C64-4A53-9FD3-3E92AD21865B.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 7352916C-362A-447D-B2DC-3685EB7E5B63.png
    7352916C-362A-447D-B2DC-3685EB7E5B63.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • CDAEA9CC-E912-4BA0-BF3F-BEF9FEABA02F.jpeg
    CDAEA9CC-E912-4BA0-BF3F-BEF9FEABA02F.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 2114D830-A55B-4685-A3C1-C54D8E760121.jpeg
    2114D830-A55B-4685-A3C1-C54D8E760121.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 8C7852EB-1291-4972-AA1B-77083AC451A2.jpeg
    8C7852EB-1291-4972-AA1B-77083AC451A2.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 6
Hi there thanks for commenting on my post

they will be 5 months old in just over a week

Yes they are siblings pics will be attached

I never met their parents I adopted them from a lady who could no longer care for them, however the male looks like he’s a Dutch rabbit and the female looks like a cinnamon rabbit.

the female is bigger
Firstly, it is not recommended breeding siblings because inbreeding would often (not always but often) lead to creating unhealthy babies, even deformed, with bad temperament, genetic disorders etc.

Secondly, they are almost 4,5 months now and she is still growing (until about 6 months) and needs still lots of food (you are good for feeding her alfalfa, junior rabbit food probably unlimited etc) because she needs additional calcium, phosphorus and protein to grow healthy, she is still a baby herself. Now, if she is pregnant, she will have to give lots of building material, calcium and other good stuff to the babies because she will have 4-8 or more new bodies growing inside her and if there's not enough calcium in her diet for example they will take it from her bones to build their skeletons. This can affect her own health. The babies can also be born without limbs if not enough elements getting from her.
So make sure she gets unlimited high protein pellets and supplements during her pregnancy and when she will be nursing, producing milk, that is 3 months from now. That is if babies will be born healthy and will survive, but be prepared that some of them can die or can be deformed or stillborn because of inbreeding. After when babies are 2 months and weaned, separated from her, she will still need very good and plenty of food to recover.

So it would be better for everybody if she is not pregnant, but it is very likely that she is.

Last edited:
Firstly, it is not recommended breeding siblings because inbreeding would often (not always but often) lead to creating unhealthy babies, even deformed, with bad temperament, genetic disorders etc.

Secondly, they are almost 4,5 months now and she is still growing (until about 6 months) and needs still lots of food (you are good for feeding her alfalfa, junior rabbit food probably unlimited etc) because she needs additional calcium, phosphorus and protein to grow healthy, she is still a baby. Now, if she is pregnant, she will have to give lots of building material, calcium and other good stuff to the babies because she will have 4-8 or more new bodies inside of her and if there's not enough calcium in her diet for example they will take it from her bones to build their skeletons. So make sure she gets unlimited high protein pellets and supplements during her pregnancy and when she will be nursing, producing milk, that is 3 months from now. That is if babies will be born healthy and will survive, but be prepared that some of them can die or can be deformed or stillborn because of inbreeding. After when babies are 2 months and weaned, separated from her, she will still need very good and plenty of food to recover.

So it would be better for everybody if she is not pregnant, but it is very likely that she is.

Oh gosh now I feel terrible I never knew about inbreeding. She’s currently on supreme science selective adult rabbit pellets, they have 14% protein, 0.6% calcium and 0.4% phosphorus Is that ok?

Oh gosh now I feel terrible I never knew about inbreeding. She’s currently on supreme science selective adult rabbit pellets, they have 14% protein, 0.6% calcium and 0.4% phosphorus Is that ok?
That is adult pellets, you need to change to junior pellets with min 16-18% protein, min 1% calcium and higher phosphorus. Alfalfa-based.

But when changing you will have to mix her old and new pellets for a week so changes are not sudden in her diet.

If she is only 5,5 she should be still on junior pellets until 6 months, or was she always on adult pellets? How long is she with you?

That is adult pellets, you need to change to junior pellets with min 16-18% protein, min 1% calcium and higher phosphorus. Alfalfa-based.

But when changing you will have to mix her old and new pellets for a week so changes are not sudden in her diet.

If she is only 5,5 she should be still on junior pellets until 6 months, or was she always on adult pellets? How long is she with you?

Ok I’ll get some junior pellets tomorrow, she has always been on adult pellets. I’ve had them for 2 months

Ok I’ll get some junior pellets tomorrow, she has always been on adult pellets. I’ve had them for 2 months
Great if you could get junior pellets just mix them with her old pellets for a week.
Rabbits are still babies until 4-6 months, so usually they still get junior high protein and calcium pellets until 6 months, they still growing intensively and need stuff to grow healthy.

You need to keep them completely separately and would be best to neuter her brother as soon as possible, he will still be fertile about 3-4 weeks after neutering so still you will have to keep them separately.

If she is pregnant she won't get any more pregnant right now until kindling, but she won't be letting him to mate and can get aggressive if he keeps humping her and can damage him, so just separate. After giving birth she can get pregnant immediately same day so they must be kept separately.

Great if you could get junior pellets just mix them with her old pellets for a week.
Rabbits are still babies until 4-6 months, so usually they still get junior high protein and calcium pellets until 6 months, they still growing intensively and need stuff to grow healthy.

You need to keep them completely separately and would be best to neuter her brother as soon as possible, he will still be fertile about 3-4 weeks after neutering so still you will have to keep them separately.

Ok I’ll get them both new pellets. They are in separate pens and are let out individually during the day for exercise, the male is getting neutered on the 9th of this month.

If she is pregnant she won't get any more pregnant right now until kindling, but she won't be letting him to mate and can get aggressive if he keeps humping her and can damage him, so just separate. After giving birth she can get pregnant immediately same day so they must be kept separately.

What veggies are best to feed pregnant rabbits?

Ok I’ll get them both new pellets. They are in separate pens and are let out individually during the day for exercise, the male is getting neutered on the 9th of this month.
That's great that he is getting neutered soon, you can keep him on adult pellets you will feed them separately anyway. I've added to my previous post that after neutering male still will be fertile up to 4 weeks so don't put them together after neutering, it is best to wait 6-8 weeks, otherwise he will still be hormonal and will be chasing her

That's great that he is getting neutered soon, you can keep him on adult pellets you will feed them separately anyway. I've added to my previous post that after neutering male still will be fertile up to 4 weeks so don't put them together after neutering, it is best to wait 6-8 weeks, otherwise he will still be hormonal and will be chasing her
[/QUOTE

Ok I will keep them separated for 8 weeks after his neuter, thanks for your help.

I am being curious here: Why did you even want to breed them? It is not nescessary for rabbits to breed before being fixed, and as your she-bun is still pretty much a baby herself, it is not a wise idea at all for her to raise kits the way she is.

Raising kits with a first-time momma is usually not easy, and unless you plan to keep all the kits, or know of people who are absolutely sure they will be able to take care of the kits, it is not a wise idea at all to let the bun get to keep her pregnancy.

You managed to get your buck's neuter to the 9th this month, yes? You should call the office again and ask if they do emergency spays as well. If she just had the thing a day or so ago, the vets might be able to cancel the pregnancy when they spay her. True, baby kits are nice to look at, but they will be a burden on your she-bun and you don't want to bother her body with that while she's still growing herself.

You also need to remember that there are more than enough of homeless pets because of all sorts of people, who just might not know any better and think that breeding the mum before spay will do her good. Honestly, she doesn't need to breed before being fixed.

I don't mean to come off as harsh, but your bun really doesn't need that pregnancy.

First off, when breeding having a plan is something very useful. Too bad you didn't ask before breeding them, there would have been a lot to say that might have been worth considering, but that point is moot now.

With 5 months she's a bit young, but old enough. Can't say that first timers are much more prone to problems , all of mine did ok. But she'll need rest, peace and privacy when the time comes.

Anyway, prepare a viable plan for what to do with the kits. Do research on how to sell or rehome them in your area, preferably without making them other peoples problems. Start watching those sites now, to get an idea of how and where to advertise. Breeding rabbits can get out of hand pretty quickly without a plan, at 10 weeks you'll need to seperate the bucklings (not with the buck), prepare the space in time. The doelings can stay with mom, but they'll need more space too. A shelf high enough where the doe can get away from the kits the first 6 weeks or so is a good thing.

If they have enough space the buck could stay with the doe for about 3 weeks, unless he pesters her too much and they don't have the room and amenities to get away from each other if they feel like it ( A cage might not be enough). Never had a doe become aggressive, but keep your eyes open, all rabbits are different.
(EDIT:) Since you get him neutered you'll have to keep an eye on them anyway and seperate for the healing time, there is a lot to read about what to care about post neuter, my bucks are intact so what I wrote might not apply to your situation.

She just needs somewhat more food, unlimited, fresh hay, greens and pellets are ok, you can introduce different veggies gradually. Once she nurses she'll eat up to 3 times the amount she would need otherwise. Getting fat is much more of a problem for rabbits than a meager diet.
Which pellets really does not matter as long as they are of reasonable quality (no colorful pet shop muesli mixes and so), that's all just marketing. The doe just needs more food. Percentages are not really that relevent unless you are optimizing your breeding line to get them to butcher weight in 10 weeks.

Breeding pets, well, there are risks involved. I like all my girls, but those who are breeding stock are not my pets. I keep some emotional distance since there's always the possibility that something goes wrong, not very likely and was quite lucky for 9 years, but I have that in the back of my mind.
Inbreeding is less of a problem if it happens once, that gets quite overrated online. Mixing random rabbits can as easily have questionable results, the more breeds differ from their natural form the more likely, I would say.

Catelyn absolutly has a point there. An emergency spay is an option if available and if you change your mind soon. There is no benefit in breeding rabbits before spaying.

Anyway, keep us updated :), I reckon there will be more questions ;)

Last edited:
I am being curious here: Why did you even want to breed them? It is not nescessary for rabbits to breed before being fixed, and as your she-bun is still pretty much a baby herself, it is not a wise idea at all for her to raise kits the way she is.

Raising kits with a first-time momma is usually not easy, and unless you plan to keep all the kits, or know of people who are absolutely sure they will be able to take care of the kits, it is not a wise idea at all to let the bun get to keep her pregnancy.

You managed to get your buck's neuter to the 9th this month, yes? You should call the office again and ask if they do emergency spays as well. If she just had the thing a day or so ago, the vets might be able to cancel the pregnancy when they spay her. True, baby kits are nice to look at, but they will be a burden on your she-bun and you don't want to bother her body with that while she's still growing herself.

You also need to remember that there are more than enough of homeless pets because of all sorts of people, who just might not know any better and think that breeding the mum before spay will do her good. Honestly, she doesn't need to breed before being fixed.

I don't mean to come off as harsh, but your bun really doesn't need that pregnancy.

Hi there thanks for your comment :)

in answer to your questions, I wanted to breed them because when I originally got my rabbits I was told they were both males so I housed them together. I found out one was a female about 2 weeks ago and since finding out they had probably already bred (since I had witnessed mounting but I thought it was just for dominance) I wanted to breed them. I know now it was not a wise idea but I can’t do anything now it’s happened.

in regards to finding the bunnies homes it depends on the size of her litter, if she has 1 or 2 kits I’ll just keep them and raise them as my pets and if she has more then I will sell them (although I do have a few friends and family who I would trust to look after a bunny).

Yes the male is getting neutered on the 9th of this month

I gave my vet a call this morning and she told me she does not do emergency spays.

First off, when breeding having a plan is something very useful. Too bad you didn't ask before breeding them, there would have been a lot to say that might have been worth considering, but that point is moot now.

With 5 months she's a bit young, but old enough. Can't say that first timers are much more prone to problems , all of mine did ok. But she'll need rest, peace and privacy when the time comes.

Anyway, prepare a viable plan for what to do with the kits. Do research on how to sell or rehome them in your area, preferably without making them other peoples problems. Start watching those sites now, to get an idea of how and where to advertise. Breeding rabbits can get out of hand pretty quickly without a plan, at 10 weeks you'll need to seperate the bucklings (not with the buck), prepare the space in time. The doelings can stay with mom, but they'll need more space too. A shelf high enough where the doe can get away from the kits the first 6 weeks or so is a good thing.

If they have enough space the buck could stay with the doe for about 3 weeks, unless he pesters her too much and they don't have the room and amenities to get away from each other if they feel like it ( A cage might not be enough). Never had a doe become aggressive, but keep your eyes open, all rabbits are different.
(EDIT:) Since you get him neutered you'll have to keep an eye on them anyway and seperate for the healing time, there is a lot to read about what to care about post neuter, my bucks are intact so what I wrote might not apply to your situation.

She just needs somewhat more food, unlimited, fresh hay, greens and pellets are ok, you can introduce different veggies gradually. Once she nurses she'll eat up to 3 times the amount she would need otherwise. Getting fat is much more of a problem for rabbits than a meager diet.
Which pellets really does not matter as long as they are of reasonable quality (no colorful pet shop muesli mixes and so), that's all just marketing. The doe just needs more food. Percentages are not really that relevent unless you are optimizing your breeding line to get them to butcher weight in 10 weeks.

Breeding pets, well, there are risks involved. I like all my girls, but those who are breeding stock are not my pets. I keep some emotional distance since there's always the possibility that something goes wrong, not very likely and was quite lucky for 9 years, but I have that in the back of my mind.
Inbreeding is less of a problem if it happens once, that gets quite overrated online. Mixing random rabbits can as easily have questionable results, the more breeds differ from their natural form the more likely, I would say.

Catelyn absolutly has a point there. An emergency spay is an option if available and if you change your mind soon. There is no benefit in breeding rabbits before spaying.

Anyway, keep us updated :), I reckon there will be more questions ;)

Hi there thanks for commenting :)

Thanks for the advice you have given me, it’s very helpful.

Hi there thanks for your comment :)

in answer to your questions, I wanted to breed them because when I originally got my rabbits I was told they were both males so I housed them together. I found out one was a female about 2 weeks ago and since finding out they had probably already bred (since I had witnessed mounting but I thought it was just for dominance) I wanted to breed them. I know now it was not a wise idea but I can’t do anything now it’s happened.

in regards to finding the bunnies homes it depends on the size of her litter, if she has 1 or 2 kits I’ll just keep them and raise them as my pets and if she has more then I will sell them (although I do have a few friends and family who I would trust to look after a bunny).

Yes the male is getting neutered on the 9th of this month

I gave my vet a call this morning and she told me she does not do emergency spays.
Maybe try another vet and maybe don't state that she is pregnant, because you don't know for sure, just tell them that you wish to spay asap because you have two rabbits and can't keep both if they are intact.

Here's a list of rabbit-savvy vets in the UK I would check if there's any near you and would call a few of them maybe you find one who will be able to take her soon. Also you can check your local shelters/rescues they do emergency spays usually since they neuter lots of kittens. Just google them locally they might be able to help.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Maybe try another vet and maybe don't state that she is pregnant, because you don't know for sure, just tell them that you wish to spay asap because you have two rabbits and can't keep both if they are intact.

Not a good idea. The vet should be told up front that the doe may be pregnant.

Latest posts

Back