hey i'n Samantha

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kala_Bunga

Reaction score
Hi my name is Samantha-I love buns and used tohave a holland lop named Pax-he was all black and used to adore earmassages and hated being picked up but loved pets just no picking uplolz-he had such a personality:bunnydance:.I have been bunless for 3yrs now and I figure enough is enough I need another bunn...also myfriends neighbour has 2 buns and they had "bunletts" and the neighbourdoesnt know what do to with them-when they were like 1 min old he tookthem out of the cage thinking that he could like give themaway!Needless to say those bunnlettsa had a very short life...and nowonce again his buns had bunnletts I gave the neighbors all sorts ofinfo so that there adult bunns are healthy and they are completlyclueless but I dont know much about baby bunns and how to raisethem-can you give me some tips on that?Like baissically everythingabout bunnletts is needed.I will be adopting 1-2 of there bunnlets ifthey survive.They wont spay or neutor there bunns so i'm mad at themfor that but I am going to take over this litter and "make" themsurvive...I can't do anything about the following bunns though...whatis the absolute youngest that I can take my new bun(s) home?I want theyoungest I can cause in this case there home doesnt look after themproperally and I want them to go to good homes.I will find homes forevery single bunnlett from this litter and i'll be keeping 1-2 does.Idon't know what breed they are but will try to get pics as soon aspossible.the neighbours are allowing me to do this.thx for the help,

Samantha

Hi Samantha!

Welcome to the forum! The Rabbitry might help you? Generally rabbitsshould be kept with their moms for 8 weeks, but if the males with hershe's probably already pregnant again.

I'd strongly suggest suggesting that your neighbour separate his tworabbits IMMEDIATELY. If they do not, the constant being pregnant,feeding a litter, and beginning the progress will kill the mother veryquickly because her little body just can't handle the constant stressof a litter. Rabbits can become pregnant immediately after birth. It'snot responsible or safe to have them under these conditions.

Hopefully you can talk them into spaying or neutering, or at least separating their rabbits.

Maybe show them this article..

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/scary.html

I'll try my best and I know they ummm areclueless when it come's to bunn's-i'm fine with adults but I don't knowalot about baby's...I am not on the neighbors side-i'm justing tryingto save the poor buns..maybe I could umm sneak away 1 of them and getthem neutered or spayed but they are against it.I keep on trying butits there buns not mine and the spca won't do anything about it.I'mtrying to "rescue" them but they will only let me have the baby's...Howdo you look after the baby's?they are kept out side in a good sizedhutch but are on a pellet only diet and dont come inside.I know theyare not under the best of care but i'm just trying to do the best Ican.They want to get rid of the babies as soon as possible so eventhough 8 weeks is best is it like a puppy that it will probably be okat like 7 weeks?I just don't want them to let 6 week old bunny's go inthe wild with out there momma.I really really want to help them but I'mnot really aloud to do anything with the adults but i'm aloud as manybaby's as I want....I wish I could spay and neutur them!they are sofreakin clueless about bunnies it makes me wanna cry-the poorbuns...but i'll do the best I can to help them and will try for thegazillionth time to convince them to get them spayed or neutered!poormamma,dada and babies....I hope they survive!I wish they would let mejust keep them or buy them or something but they won't,I only haveacces to bunnletts-any info on bunnlets would be greatly apreciated!thx,

Samantha

Hi there and welcome!

Please please explain to your neighbors that it is unneccary to keepunaltered males and females together if they arent experienced andcommitted to breeding and rehoming these animals. There are just toomany bunnies in need of homes.

If they are against spaying/neutering, could you convince them to just house them separately?

Oh, and babies can be taken away from mom around 8 weeks or so. Males can impregnant other doesas early as 8-9 weeks.

I know!I am trying my best-I don't want to berude but my neighbours are umm kinda complete jerks!Iask them why theywont alterter there rabbits and feed them all pellet diets!arrgggg itsooooo frusterating,
Samantha

Rabbits do not have a heat cycle, and arefertile at all times. The act of mating triggers a drop ofeggs, so needless to say they are very fertile.

It takes 28-32 days for a female to carry the babies to term and givebirth. She is then fertile immediatly after birth, so she ismost likely already pregnant with a second litter.

Babies normally stay with mom for 6-8 weeks before beingweaned. But if the mom is already pregnant her milk willstart to dry up early and the older babies will have to be removed afew days before she's due with her second litter.

The babies will most likely have to be hand fed for a couple weeks withKitten Milk Replacer (KMR) untill they are eating pellets and hay allon their own.

Please inform them that the female will keep having babies one litterimmediatly after the other until she dies if they do not remove themale from her cage.

The male and female cannot have any contact what so ever unless one orboth is spayed/neutered. It only takes seconds for a male tosuccessfully impregnate a female.

There is plenty of information online that you could print off to giveto your neighbor. If you need help finding some good websitesplease PM me and I can find some for you.

--Dawn

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

The poor bunnies, especially the female:(

I really hope you can persuade your neighbours to get at leastone of them spayed/neutered. How can they not see it is cruel for themum to have litter after litter:cry4:

Guess what every body!!!I have some fantasticnews!My neighbours descided to give me the bunns!!!!but....aparentlythere isnt just 2 like what I saw,there are 4 -3 does and 1 buck.I havemade an apointement 4 saturday for the buck to get altered.All 3females are pregnate-1 of them has a 2 day old litter and is pregnantagain....I have NO idea what i'm going to do with all theasebunns....atleast they have a home who will actually look after themthough....so i'm happy!:bunnydance:

I have no clue..its alot of bunns....but thereis no way i'm giving them to the spca-not a chance.I'll probably keepthem untill I can find good loving home for the babies and I will keepthe adults...and maybe a bunnlette or 2

Hopefully you can find good homes forthem. You should be proud of yourself. Not many people wouldtake on such a big responsibility. Those buns are lucky you were there.Good luck.:bunnydance:

Thx.I try to do the best I can...its going to bea big change-I havent had a bunn for 3 yrs...and those bunns werehoused out side on a very horrible all pellet diet...its going to besuch a big change for them and me.I'm so excited and soo nervous...allI can say is now I really have my hands full!

Oh wow! :shock:That's great though!

I have confidence in you though! I'm sure you'll be able to handle them great!

I would maybe post a thread in the Rabbitry asking for what to with themommas to keep them as strong as possible under such stressfulconditions. I really can't help you other then to suggest having themin a stress free environment with themfar AWAY fromthe buck.

Remember even when the buck is neutered, he can still impregnate afemale up to a month-month and a half after his snip. So best to keephim separated from the does. I've read about it before, but is thereany chance you could spay the mommas who don't have babies? I've heardabout it before, and it would definitely take away some of the stressand strain on both you and the moms.

Also If you are changing anything in their diets, do it slowly. Iwouldn't add any veggies or anything until they settle in. Are theygetting any hay at the moment now that they are with you?

You've just saved these three girls from a certain death frombeing constantly breed. Good job! I'm proud of you!

Yes I will spay the does but they are allpregnant-there is going to be 3 does and 4 litters!...but once they arefinished having bunnlettes and the bunnlettes are weaned they will bespayed.They have acces to hay right now-I think that when there evilex-owners had them they only got haye but they were from a pet storeand I know which 1 it was and they feed hay and sometimes(like onceevery week or so)get veggies.But they have been with the now ex ownersfor 2 1/2 yrs and they got nothing but those dyed icky disgusting looklike bird food pellets.I will add veggies slowly and only after theysettle in alittle bit.It'll be a big change for them.Good thing eventhough the ex-owners didnt know how to feed them atleast they handledthem so they are hand-tame and let me hold them...i'm thinking whatkind of cage sett-up should I get?Right now they are at the vet's for acheck-up...and they travelled there is seperate kennels.So I have aprox3 hours to get a cage/pen....I want them to be house bunnies eventuallybut I dont think that they are completly litter trained although theyhad a litter box in there old cage....thx for all the help!Also I needsome names...,
Samantha

no pictures yet-but as soon as I get pics i'llshow you!what kinda cage do you think would be best from there out doorhutch?I have to go and buy a cage or 2 in like 1/2 hour 45 mins whilei'm on the way to pic up my 4 bunns and ? amount of bunnlettes*I can'tbelieve I just said that 4 bunns lolz*.Normally I would have the cageset-up in advance but this was an acception lolz.I want to build one ofthose NIC cages but I don't have time 2day and I think that a normalcage would be easier to transition into and then i'll build a NIC.Ialready have 2 exercise dog pens so that they can hop around with outbeing in there cages...I am so happy but very nervous.....I don't evenknow how many bunnlettes there are...when I came over to check on thelittle ones he had them all packed up in carriers and told me 2 takethem...the 1st place I took them was the vet...now I g2g buy a cage in1/2 hour so I need advice fast...I have aloooonnngggg nightlolz......:bunnydance:

The NIC cages are quite easy to put together andvery cheap. This would be my number one option because you can buy asmany grids as you need and change the cages around if you need morecages or if you have to make a cage into 2, etc. Very versatile. Petstore cages can be very expensive, so if you need a few cages, it willcost a lot if you are just using them as temp. cages.

I would maybe keep the male in the one dogpen (do you haveenough room to set up indoors?) and the 3 females in the other for now,then build the NIC cages. If that works. You can definitely turn a dogexercise pen into a temp rabbit cage. Just put maybe a sheet over topin case they try to jump out.

Yes I have room to set up indoors.On my way tothe vet i'll pick up 2 igloo's ,hay,good quality pellets,some of thereicky old pellets and 2 new litter box's.I am sooo excited-I think i'mgoing to leave now even though I still have a bit to wait-i'm impatientlolz.ok so i'll probably be back in like 20 mins k?i'll give every 1 anupdate then..hmmm maybe I should make a blog for theesebuns?:bunnydance:

Sooo i'm home-I got some good news and somebad....My 1 buck and 2 of my does are aparently healthy aside fromthere old pellet only diet.But...my 1 doe the 1 with the 7bunnlettes(yes i said 7!)is doing ok but she looks alittle lethargicand very exhausted-she is pregnant and has a litter and had 3 littersb4 that...Her 7 bunnlettes came home with me and I am handfeedingthem(they are only 3 days old!) and that doe is at the vet overnight-they want to keep an eye on her for abit b4 she can come home.Iam really worried she has had soooo many litters all at once inpregnant and has 7 bunnletts right now...her bunnlettes are doing ok Iguess...but i'm seriously in need of info on how to hand feed them!Ihope momma feels better soon...The other bunns are at home in therepens sniffing around and are very curious!The buck is umm really"bucky" and i'm glad that he is getting neutered on saturday...theother 2 are happy-one is actually quite relaxed and is spread out justchilling,1 is doing binkies surpriseingly and aparently has tos ofenergy and 1 is alittle timide and I think she is looking for the bunnwho is at the vet(it appears that they are especially bonded).I willgive updates when I can,
Samantha and 11 bunns!!!!:colors:

Latest posts

Back