"Hey, Amy! I heard you have bunnies...."

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
So, a lady walks up to me at work and sits down. Our conversation goes something like this....

Lady: "Hey Amy, the ladies in solar told me that you have rabbits."
Me: "I do! I have three house bunnies."
Lady: "Great! How about two more?"
Me: "Nope, no thank you...I have quite the handful already. Why?"
Lady: "I have these two lop rabbits that live outside and my kids are complaining about them and won't feed or give them water anymore. I am tired of doing it, so I want to find them a new home. Their nails are also curly too because I don't cut them because they just run around outside in a dog run."
Me: "Lop rabbits? Are they Holland Lops?"
Lady: "Yep, that sounds about right. Well, I guess if you don't want them, then I will put them in my garage sale and put a "free" sign on their cage."
Me: "Ahhh, don't do that. Someone will take them for snake food."
Lady: "Well, these rabbits are huge." *lady shows me with her hands how big the rabbits are*
Me: "Hollands are 3-4 pounds or so, that is a smaller breed of rabbit. You'd be suprised who has large snakes around here and wants free small animals for them to eat. You should put a rehoming fee on the bunnies, at least."
Lady: "Okay, that sounds like a good idea. Thank you. Let me know if you know of anyone who wants them."

Blah, blah, blah :headsmack. Now I am the bunny person at work. Ryan's supervisor wants us to take his 5 month old broken tort (or chocolate) Holland Lop when we move into our new house around May, which I don't want to handle another bunny. Ryan told him we would, but NOPE! I give Ryan's supervisior toys and hay for the bunny once a month, I think I am helping out enough there. They aren't going to turn around and rehome it, they just think it doesn't get enough attention with 3 young girls in the house and 4 dogs always being loud. It does get to go outside and run around the backyard for a few hours a day, though.

I guess the HL that Ryan's supervisior has is from the same breeder as Brody...and they are the same age...they could be litter mates.

AND, I already had to talk another lady at work out of getting a bunny for his son, who's pets "never seem to last" :craziness. Arggg.

I felt sad that I couldn't help out those two bunnies that that lady has :?, but I absolutely do not want more bunnies, even outside :sweep!

*ending her little rant :peace*

oh my god, i hate people.

you get a pet...an animal...a LIFE...and then a few months into it you say NAH i don't feel like this anymore, you go find a new place to live ::kick::.

oh look that lady has rabbits she'll want you for sure!

AAAMYYYY....

UGH. FRUSTRATING.

:grumpy:

It's one thing rehoming because you absolutely can't provide for that animal anymore, and then it is another thing because you are plain lazy.

2 years and then all of a sudden you just don't feel like feeding them anymore? Arggg.

THEN...one of Ryan's friends who is very irrisponsible and never has any money told us today (he works at our work) that he wants to get A guinea pig or A rat. I told him all the bad stuff and vet bills, specific diets, ect....and he still is set on getting one of the two. I am so ticked. I don't need to end up with another rat or something because it gets sick and he doesn't have the money to pay for the vet bills or something.

:grumpy:I was talking to someone at work about the guinea pigs coming and some guest comes up and ask if I want two more her kids no longer want. :shock:

I get stuff like that all of the time... all my family tries to give me their unwanted pets... i finally had to start telling them no... I think I have SUCKER tatooed on my forhead...lol

Yep, once the word is out that you have certain pets (especially exotics), poeple try to dump them on you.

The lady tried again yesterday. I guess the rabbits are 2 year old males, that live seperately.

I had to tell her "no", again, lol.

They don't even ask me! They just dump them on my lawn or leave 'em in a box by the barn.... Once people find out you're the "bunny lady", they think you'll take anything!

Now I will ALWAYS take back a bunny from my breedings, but like you said... two or three years later? Just dumped the whole cage on my lawn last summer!

Leave two neutered rabbits in a box together and tack on a note.. they're "Best Friends"... So I assume they are bonded and put them together in a cage. Come out an hour later and ones bleeding, they've been fighting... fur all over the place... when I tracked down the owner, no, they're not bonded... just "like to look at each other". HUH?

I've probably had about 22 "dumpings" in the last year.

People are lazy, selfish and only want instant gratification. And they teach their kids the same things... sad, very sad.....

Latest posts

Back