He's getting cage agressive!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralvr

Reaction score
Last night when I went to give Acorn more hay, he lunged at me and actually bit me! I know before he got mad when I swept out his area while he was in it but he has never lunged at me before. When he first came home, I sat in his enclosure every night and he never seemed mad about that. I have to admit, this last week I was really busy so I didn't get to spend as much one on one time with him downstairs so I brought him up to the bedroom a few times to spend some time with me instead. I really don't know if that could have something to do with it though. I had noticed that for the last few days he seemed kind of agitated when I came in his space to feed him, but this was the first time he actually bit me.

I just don't understand, why would he suddenly decide to bite me when I was just trying to feed him? I really need to do something about him lunging at me every time I go down there but I don't know what I can do. I cannot get bit every time I give him more food though! Beyond only giving him more hay/water/cleaning out the litter boxes when he is out of his space, what can I do?

It might be worth your reading the article I posted on this thread because it might help you understand it.

I don't necessarily think he is being cage aggressive, more protecting a good source of food.

You could try things like being calm and holding his head firmly down, so he knows you are in charge, or taking him out and turning him on his back so he knows you are dominant, or maybe wearing thick gloves so he realises that even if he bites you it has no effect so he should learn to stop doing it.

Is he neutered?

I never thought about that food source thing, great article, thanks for the link. I think that would make sense especially since his previous owners only fed him junk pellets and no hay. Now he loves his hay and pretty much leaves the pellets alone. Whenever he sees me get to close to his hay box, he seems to get uspet. I will try holding his head down but he is so tiny and quick that i am not sure if I can catch him.

He isn't neutered yet because I couldn't drive for the last two months because of my foot. The good news is, I went to the Dr. yesterday and I can drive now so it is definately time to schedule his and Henri's neuters.

Hopefully neutering will help.

I agree with you, this is probably a backlash from him past owners, so hopefully with time he will settle down, and realise things are safe there. Can you pinpoint a start of it? Like maybe a time you might have moved him away from his food? Or moved his food around in his cage?

You could try having it so that you swapped what was in his hutch, and gave him a fresh bowl everyday so that you are messing the minimal amount, and maybe have a poke hole through the bars that you can poke hay in so that he doesn't see you messing with it, just finds fresh hay, if that makes sense.

Maybe also try having lots of hay areas, maybe with a different type of hay in each, so that if you have to mess with the hay he will know there is hay elsewhere. Maybe only remove the hay when he is out of the cage, like you suggested.

Captain Snow exhibits the same types of behavior. I usually have to put the food in his dish and set it down. If he is busy eating, then he doesn't have time to get agitated while I fill his hay rack. He, too, came from a previous owner...and I know nothing of his history.

He hates when I clean his cage, too. So I usually do it while he is out running around the house. The only way he allows me to stick my hands in his condo while he is there is if I am petting him or using the shop vac (he hates it...and cowers in the corner on his shelf).

So...not that I have any advice to add to what Flashy's already given you. Just know that you are not in this alone!

-Mary Ellen

I agree, I think he's getting protective of his feed. It's probably the first time he's had a steady diet and good food.

If you want to hold his head down, you would want to get in his cage and hold his head down with one hand while you fill the feeder/hay rack. Another option is to pick him up and hold him on his back while you fill the feeder/hay rack. You may need to wear gloves a time or two, but he will get used to the routine of you holdind him.

What happens if you offer him a treat out of your hand, and then pick him up. Don't let him know you're going to add hay or clean. After you're holding him, then add the feed or hay. He'll associate getting hay and feed with a treat and a snuggle.

BlueGiants wrote:
I agree, I think he's getting protective of his feed. It's probably the first time he's had a steady diet and good food.

If you want to hold his head down, you would want to get in his cage and hold his head down with one hand while you fill the feeder/hay rack. Another option is to pick him up and hold him on his back while you fill the feeder/hay rack. You may need to wear gloves a time or two, but he will get used to the routine of you holdind him.

What happens if you offer him a treat out of your hand, and then pick him up. Don't let him know you're going to add hay or clean. After you're holding him, then add the feed or hay. He'll associate getting hay and feed with a treat and a snuggle.

He REALLY doesn't like it if I try to hold him on his back so I don't think that would work too well for me.

I will try the treat thing. He really likes his craisins so maybe if I offer him one as a peace offering whenever I have to go into his area then he will forgive me for my intruding.

He probably doesn't like it because he wants to be dominant. Try to find a way to hold him on his back, i.e. cradled in your arm, or rested on your knees or something, and the more you do it, the more he will learn he is to be submissive to you, but he will fight it. You effectively need to show him who is boss.

:yeahthat:

Wait, you're going to let a little 4 lb rabbit tell you what to do, even if it's not in his best interest? Ummm... who's in charge here?

You have to handle him and make him like it. Not to be rough, just persistant. If he knows he isn't going to get away with that behavior, he'll be more submissive. You have to be the head honcho... the Big Bunny! And he has to learn this.

BlueGiants wrote:
:yeahthat:

Wait, you're going to let a little 4 lb rabbit tell you what to do, even if it's not in his best interest? Ummm... who's in charge here?

You have to handle him and make him like it. Not to be rough, just persistant. If he knows he isn't going to get away with that behavior, he'll be more submissive. You have to be the head honcho... the Big Bunny! And he has to learn this.

lol, I think my animals are in charge.

He doesn't mind being held. Whenever I pick him up, he just likes to be held on my chest where he can push his head under my chin. I think he really freaks out whenever both of his feet are not touching something solid. I guess it is necessary to be able to hold him on his back though for things like cleaning his scent glands. I did that once when I first got him and boy was that a fight! How do you get a bunny used to being on their backs? I would guess that is a very submissive and vulnerable position for them. I hadn't tried it to much with him yet mostly because I wanted him to feel safe with me. I guess I will have to start working with him on that one.

Whenever you hold him, be calm and gentle, don't get frustrated, just be persistent. The more you do it, the more used to it he will get.

My Rodney is like that and he bit me, i have to hold his head down when i get his bowls out, he hasnt been too bad lately

Latest posts

Back