Hershey has the sniffles:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyHersheyBun

Reaction score
Help! I am not sure if my rabbit is really sick or just is normal. I am definately new to rabbits and need some help lol. My black jr. buck Hershey has recently been having the sniffles and sneezing quite often. There seems to be no loss in energy or appetite at all. What could this be and do I need to see the vet?

Thanks

Hi! I just took my bunny to the vet this morning for the same thing! Does he have a lot of snot on his nose? If so, what color? Does he sneeze constantly, like 6 times in a row, or just once every few days? Have there been any changes in his environment lately, like stress, weather issues (if he's outside), or the presence of a new animal?

I hope it's just nothing, but you might want to take him to a vet anyway if it's been a while. There's a REALLY good listing of vets in the Infirmary section, and the HRS is also good for vet reccomendations. If you put your general location (state/country) in your profile, some members might be able to give you reccomendations too.

You really, really need to get him to a rabbit-savvy vet ASAP.

Have you checked the vet section in the "infirmary" forum yet?

Edit: Sorry for repeating what tonyshuman has said, but this is a serious thing and can't be treated or cured without a proper diagnosis and prescription meds.

Did you go today? How'sHershey doing tonight?

How often has he been sneezing? Have you noticed if it's when he's eating or grooming? When eating, this can be caused by dust in hay or pellets. When grooming, it can be getting a hair in their nose.

My bun sneezes when grooming. He sometimes has a damp nose, but never any discharge. That is key. Any discharge, especially any colored discharge, is not good.This needs a vet asap, for a culture,to find outthe pathogen that's causing it. Therefore a proper anitbiotic prescribed.

Just want to add this for future ref, if ever needed. Posted by Randy initially:

' "As far as the Baytril not working against pasteurella, not at all surprised. We stopped using that drug quite some time ago as a front line treatment for most anything. Zithromax....it has to be used in proper dosing for a longer time to be effective. Couple of things, the only way to know it's pasteurella is to culture the current infection. Next, pasteurella can never be cured, only contained. Anything that can cause the slightest compromise in the immune system can allow this bacteria to make an undesired appearance. And to be honest, we are starting to see some resistant bacteria to zithromax. I have been using more Doxycycline of late. But the only true way to know what to treat is get a current culture.

Many drugs such as amoxicillin, spiramycin, amikacin and ampicillin (to name a few) can be used in certain situations. These "situations" should always involve a highly skilled rabbit vet and should never be attempted by anyone other than that." '

If you need to go to the vet, these are good to bring to the table.:) Ask for them, and use this post as backup.

Thanks for all the help!!! Hershey does not have any discharge at all thank goodness. He just sniffles and sneezes a couple times a day. I think that it must be allergies lol. Hershey may be going through the same allergy and sinus problems that I am having!! I think just to be safe I am going to call the vet!

Hey Meagan,

Sorry I forgot to tell you alot of rabbits sneeze as if they were sick when in new suroundings its like they aren't used to it like the smell or something but It may very well be the sniffles if there is no discharge it most likely isn't

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it so much!!! Hershey is doing good. He will just sneeze twice a day and move on with his day! I think that it is true about him being in a new surrounding being the main cause for his sniffles. Thanks again. Hope all is well with your rabbits!!!!:D

Latest posts

Back