Hernia On My Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty07

Reaction score
Hello! Two days ago I noticed a little bump on my rabbits belly and quickly called the vet to schedule an appointment. While I waited I looked online and saw mostly results popping up as it being a possible abscess or tumor but it didn’t quite match what Dusty had so I decided to wait for the vet appointment which was today and they told be that it could be a possible hernia since the vet would push on the bump and it would disappear. His surgery is scheduled for Tuesday so hopefully everything goes alright! The vet told me hernias on rabbits are pretty uncommon and it usually happens when they get stepped on but I know 100% that no one has stepped on him. I’m wondering if it could happen if he was accidentally kicked since he free roams in or if it’s because he jumps off my bed which is roughly 25 inches or more off the ground and he usually grunts really loud when he hits the floor. I’ll let everyone know how it goes after his surgery but I’m just wondering what it could have been.

I've had two that had hernias and seen a few others with it as well. They're not that uncommon in rabbits. The two that I had were definitely not stepped on... they were breeding rabbits, so they lived in cages. There is a strong genetic factor to it also

I've had two that had hernias and seen a few others with it as well. They're not that uncommon in rabbits. The two that I had were definitely not stepped on... they were breeding rabbits, so they lived in cages. There is a strong genetic factor to it also
Aw oh no poor babies did you end up giving them surgery as well? If you did how did they take it? It must be genetic for my bun then because I can’t think of anything else that might’ve caused a hernia.

Latest posts

Back