Here We Go Again... Pipp Won't Eat a Thing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
I spent all day (Friday) thinking it wasWednesday (go figure), so when Pipp didn't touch her dinner and thenbreakfast, I figured I'd make a vet's appt the next day. WhenI realized it was already Friday, too late!

It's too soon for another molar spur (or so I thought). Ialso thought I'd be able to feed her grated carrot,broccoliand pumpkin as usual. But nope. She won't eveneatbanana! :nerves1

She won't eat any of the usual sweet treats, so I'mthinkingthat maybe she has a sore on her tongue in addition tothemolar discomfort.

I bought her a bunch of juices (I went to find carrot juice, they didn't have any), now I'm thinking they're too acidic.

I've made up a mix of mashed pellets (the cheap ones shelikes,hoping she'd take it willingly from the syringe, butno), carrot,broccoli, cauliflower,pumpkinanda littlehoney.

It's going to be a loooong weekend.

sas
icon_neutral.gif
,pipp :bunnyheartand the gang :bunny5:brownbunny:brownbunny:bunny5

Poor baby! How's her stomachfeel? Is she bloated? I'm assuming you've gotsimethicone at home... maybe she's having a gas attack this time?

Does she like unsweetened apple juice or apple flavored Pedialyte? Those wouldn't be acidic.

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated!

I meant to get Pedialyte and forgot. :disgust: (We need a 'kicking yourself' smiley).

Isapple juice acidic at all? (I don't get along well with apples, so I don't drink it).

She's still hungry at this point, she just takes a bite of something,it's uncomfortable so she won't take another -- although she's gettingto the point where she won't try at all --and she runs to her'I don't feel well' spotunder thedresser. (The rest of the time she's on my lapwanting to be coddled).

The previous spurs weren't that bad and they hadn't ulcerated hertongue (if that's the right word), according to the vet, but that's howshe reacts to them.

She's not fighting the syringe after the first initial tussle, butshe's not taking it willingly, either.Nowshe's starting to run when she sees it. Toughbananas, bunny.

sas :bunnynurseand Pipp :nope

Oh Poor Pipp!

Is she at least drinking anything?

If she is, just to make sure she'sstill getting much neededvitamins & such... you could give her a little bit of Goatsmilk orMilk replacement supplement for the baby bunnies - Ifigure that if she's not eating, then Nutri-Cal would be to "solid" forher :?.

Will she nibble on Timothy hay? How 'bout oats?A piece of bread?

I'm just trying to throwsome ideas out to see if she'll at least nibble something.

~Sunshine

Poor Pipp! Tell her to get better! I don't haveany other advice to offer, I think its all been mentioned by naturesteeand sunniebunnie.

She's a terrible drinker and hay eater, which isprobably why she has these problems. The water would keep herurinary tract flushed, and the hay would keep himmolar spursin check. Dumb bunny!

I'm mixing her slurry pellet/veggie mix with a fair amount of water, hope that's enough.

No milk, but I've got some Acidophilus I've never used, not sure if I should throw that in there or not.

At this point, I'm trying to keep on the same diet she was on before,just watered down, blended and syringed, with thehope that asmuch of it gets down her throat ason mylap.:yuck

Oh, and when she doesn't eatbanana, I callthevet. When she doesn't eat oats, I call theundertaker.:shock:She is eatingthem, butvery slowly. And she's OD'd on them oftenenough to know that even if it's all she'll eat, still not a good ideato free feed!But thanks for the reminder, I can puta fewin theslurry. :)

Thanks for the good wishes, guys.

sas :disgust, pipp :bunnybutt:and gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Try singing. This has always worked in Pepsi'snot eating phases. AS soon as I hold up some celery leaves soaked inwater and start singing sometimes she'll atleast bite and throw it tothe side. I know the worry, it is awful.

Try some carrot tops. The second to last time, the worst one when Pepsirefused to eat anything she ate a bit of carrot tops. Also see ifshe'll eat some oats, extra fiber :D.

I know what you're going through, and hopefully Pip can recover quickly! :)

These bunnies sure do scare the heck out of us, don't they!

PoorPipp. A long weekend, and it's not even a holiday.

You are going to have to sendPippover to live with Pebbles.So Pebbles can
teach her how to eat and drink properly.

Here is Pebbles teaching Desmond how to use the training pad. :shock:

7198.jpg

Rainbows! :)

LOL. I give those for Bun-Bun if I run out of litter.

Anyways, maby Pipp got into some thing poiseness or harmfull like certain plants.
Maby a mouth irritation or cotton mouth. Does he still drink?
I remeber when I let Bun-Bun and Cocoa run around on the deck, Cocoagot into my mum's marigolds and I found him nibbling on it. He hadcotton mouth, whitch is a dry mouth. I saw himlicking and smaking his jaws but it got over whith once I put him backinto the cage and he drank some water.
Maby he's got an upset stomatch.

Bun~Bun wrote:
LOL. I give those for Bun-Bun if I run out of litter.
The training pads are suppose to be forthe dog, but Pebbles uses them anyways. :D

7222.jpg

Pebbles likes to drink warm water if Itry to make her drink. She also likes todrink tea with honey.You can try using Nutrical mixed withoats.

Rainbows! :)

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Pebbles likes to drink warmwater if I try to make her drink.She also likes to drink tea withhoney. You can tryusing Nutrical mixed with oats.
That's interesting. Pipp will only eat her pumpkin if it'swarm. And fairly dry. (Reminds me, I was going tomention that to Laura for Toby).

If Pipp willdrink warm water or tea, that would beawesome. I'll give it atry, thanks. :)

sas :), pipp :bunnyheartand the gang :bunny5:brownbunny:brownbunny:bunny5

Just heard from the vet'soffice.:nerves1 Pipp's scheduled for molar spur surgeryMonday. :saddened

She's always such a messafterwards for weeks. It really hurts her. :tears2:

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Ya, I know. My puppy and Bun shared them. Thereis a scent in the pads that induces them to pee - and I guessrabbits will respond to the scent as well.

Pipp wrote:

Does she have plenty of chew toys? Do her cheeks feel a little swollen?
Yes, molar trimming is quite painfull for bunnies. How many times hasshe gone through this?
Just heard from the vet'soffice.:nerves1 Pipp's scheduled for molar spur surgeryMonday. :saddened

She's always such a messafterwards for weeks. It really hurts her. :tears2:

:(:(:(:(:(

Bun~Bun wrote:
Does she have plenty of chew toys? Do hercheeks feel a little swollen?
Yes, molar trimming is quite painfull for bunnies. How many times has she gone through this?
This will be her third surgery. She's almost two yearsold:shock: but she didn't get the first one untilthis past December, just before Christmas, and it lasted threemonths. Now we're down to two months for this one.:(

I can't get her to play with chew toys or to eat hay. Andbecause of some possible bladder issues, she's been on an almost allveggie diet, which in hindsight, probably didn't help herteeth. (She also got three different kinds of pellets, justnot very many).

Her only sypmtom is that she stops eating, although the last couple oftimes, she's been moving her mouth more than usual. I had totell the vet to put her under and check the first time, he didn't thinkthat was the problem. But it was.

She's got such a tiny little mouth, they really have to stretchthepoor thing to work on her. (And frankly, she's abit of a wimp when it comes to health issues. Sad to say sheis mostcertainly not abrave littlebunny). :nerves1

sas
icon_neutral.gif
andpipp:bunnyheart (and the gang)

Give here some treats - like Corn Slims or thosepillow shaped treats that Bun-Bun likes. Give her a walnut shell or acinnamon stick. Some thing tasty but crunchy.

I would worry about the cinnamon oil in thecinnamon sticks irritating a bun's mouth. I chomp theoccasional cinnamon stick, and it can irritate my mouth.

I know I've read somewhere, on this site, about sprinkling apple juiceon hay or in water to entice the bunny to eat the hay or drinkmore. Have you tried that?

I hope Pipp recovers quickly.

Nadezhda, Fred, and Zorro:bunny5:bunny5

If she's got a sore on her tounge, try making abanana and carrot smoothie.Today, I was out of fruit juice soI searched on line to find some thing I can whip up for Bun-Bun.
Any ways, take 2 peeled carrots or some baby carrots andchop them up. Then chop up 1 1/2 bananas and addseveral ice cubes and put all 3 ingridiants and blend them in ablender. It was hard for me to blend those solid objects(Ialso added a little bit of Kale.) so I added a little water and applesause. It's way too thick for them to drink it from waterbottle, so put it in a little bowl. Bun-Bun likes it verymuch!! Even though the ice particles will melt and cool off - it stillshould be drinkable.

Latest posts

Back