Here We Go Again - GI Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
I would say it's been a little over a year since Wrangler had his last episode. Most episodes required a trip to the vet but I am hoping that I'll be able to help him work through this one.

I woke up early this AM and usually Wrangler is RIGHT at my feet. Or he's my alarm clock because he'll start stomping his feet to be fed. But not this morning. And of course you know right away when your animal is not feeling good.

He was sitting in his litter box eating his hay quietly. I knew right then something was up. He acted a little uncomfortable but still continued to eat his hay. He drank a little water too. Wrangler also proceeded to eat all of his cecotropes. I have been giving him lots of pets and he will just sit there and purr. No painful teeth grinding so far.

I called the university exotic vet and shared with her what I am dealing with (since he has been a patient several times there). She recommended that I feed him the critical care 15-20mg 3x/day (Wrangler is approx 1.23kg) which I so happen to always keep in my fridge and I bought an additional bag today.

I am hoping he'll poop again by this afternoon if not sooner. He appears to be resting comfortably under my bed right now.

...as I sit here being helicopter mom and he is GROOMING himself. Seriously? Still no new poops but he did get a drink of water.

When my rabbits slowdown I syringe fluids. One to two tablespoons of electrolyte fluids, up to 6 tablespoons in 6-8 hours. That's my protocol for what its worth. My protocol is based on reading a couple of articles by DVMs about hydration as a therapy for GI stasis and blockages. If no poo is coming out I don't like to syringe food because I'm afraid it could add to the blockage. This is one of the articles I read that stresses hydration over all else when it comes to GI stasis http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/gi.html

Back