HERBS

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetPeasMom

Reaction score
AGRIMONY - Conjunctivitis

BIRCH - Chewing, pain relief, anti-inflammatory, diuretic.

BLACK OIL SUNFLOWER SEEDS – Coat Condition

BLACKBERRY - Used for pregnant does, summer cooling, stimulate appetite, diarrhea

BORAGE - Laxative, milk flow of nursing does, fevers, reduce stress

CHAMOMILE - Pain relief, calm nervous rabbit, eye wash for weepy eye

CHICKWEED – Anti-inflammatory, healing of cuts, molt

CLEAVERS – healing of cuts, laxative

COLTSFOOT – respiratory expectorant

COMFREY - healing, bone formation, ill bunnies, stressed and weak bunnies, respiratory expectorant

DANDELION - Blood purifying, respiratory ailments, anti-inflammatory, bladder infections, diarrhea, milk flow of nursing does

ECHINACEA -Immune system stimulant and broad spectrum antibiotic. In the lower doses it’s the stimulant and in higher doses acts as an antibiotic. Anti-inflammatory with anti-viral properties

ELDER FLOWER - respiratory expectorant, fevers

EUCALYPTUS - dried and powdered, and sprinkled repel fleas

EYEBRIGHT – weepy eye

FENNEL – bloating & gas, milk flow of nursing does

GARLIC - immunize against disease, antiseptic, antibiotic, bloating & gas, respiratory expectorant

GINGER – infertility in bucks

GOATS RUE – Milk flow in nursing does

GOLDEN ROD – anti-inflammatory

GROUNDSEL – laxative, molt

KAVA KAVA - calms and extends the benefits of chiropractic adjustments.

LAVENDER - Cardiac complaints, circulation problems, migraine, nervous stress, neurasthenia, neuralgia, exhaustion, induce labor

LEMON BALM – anti-bacterial, antiviral, bloating & gas, diarrhea, reduce stress

LICORICE - gastric inflammation, coughs.

LINSEED – laxative, molt

MARIGOLD - bruises, contusion & strains, slowly healing wounds, ulcers, skin diseases, digestive problems, gall bladder complaints.

MARJORIM - coughs, inflammation of mouth, throat. Digestive problems, uterine discomfort, calm nerves

MEADOWSWEET – weepy eye

MILK THISLTE - helps take ammonia from the blood and protects both the liver and the kidneys, milk flow in nursing does

MINT - Firm loose stool, decrease nursing doe milk flow during weaning, mastasis

MOTHER WART – weepy eye

NASTURTIUM - Strongly antiseptic.

NETTLES – milk flow in nursing does

OAK - Eczema, diarrhea, hemorrhoid, pro lapse, digestive problems, bleeding of mouth & gums.

OATS - strong teeth, nails and hair. Feed sparingly in summer though. Eczema, digestive problems, diarrhea, kidney & bladder disorders, neuralgia, rheumatic complaints. Small kits may not be able to swallow oats and may actually choke on them.

OLEANDER - heart & circulation problems.

OREGON GRAPE ROOT - anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial.

PARSLEY - enriches the blood, urinary problems. Roots are used for constipation and obstruction of the intestines. Inflammation of bladder & kidneys, digestive disorders, fertility in bucks, productivity in does

PEPPERMINT - flatulence, gall bladder complaints.

PLANTAIN – antimicrobial, antispasmodic, healing of cuts, respiratory expectorant, fevers

PSYLLIUM - bronchitis, coughs, soothing skin application,, digestive problems, constipation.

PURPLE CONEFLOWER - abscesses, colds chills influenza, mild burns, slowly healing wounds.

RASPBERRY - Prevention and treatment of female ailments like retained afterbirth. Improves condition during pregnancy, ensuring speedy and strong birth. Also wonderful cure for digestive ailments including diarrhea, infertility in bucks, fevers

RED CLOVER – weepy eye

ROSEMARY - low blood pressure, weakness & exhaustion, circulatory problems, nervousness, indigestion. rheumatic & neuralgic complaints, antidepressant

SAGE – dried and powdered, and sprinkled repel fleas, dry up does who’s kits have been weaned

SASSAFRASS - dried and powdered, and sprinkled repel fleas

SCOTCH PINE - bronchitis, sinusitis, neuralgia, rheumatism.

SHEPHERDS PURSE - uterine disorders & hemorrhage, diarrhea

SMOOTH-LEAF ELM – hemorrhage, hemorrhoid, mouth & throat inflammation, slowly healing wounds
SORREL -another neuralgia herb. Very cooling and soothing, it is a much cherished treat in the summer.

ST. JOHN’S WORT - neuralgia & rheumatic complaints, gastritis, climacteric complaints, uterine disorders, stress & nerves (long term dosage needed - 1 month at least)

STRAWBERRY - Whole plant is antiseptic and cooling. Leaves are rich in iron and are supposed to prevent miscarriage. Externally used for inflamed areas, rashes and sore eyes.

THYME - diarrhea

UVA URSI - diuretic and urinary antiseptic that is recommended for urinary tract infections and kidney problems.

WALNUT LEAVES – weepy eye

WILLOW - intestinal inflammation.

YARROW – Cut healing

I tend to avoid the plants that have 'healing' properties, as I'm afraid they might do more harm than good if I've not read up on the herb thoroughly, I'd be especially leery of the ones described as laxatives, except in crisis situations & then only in minute doses. I would try olive oil rather than linseed.

This is great but here's a dumb question.

What the heck are you suppose to do with these herbs/plants? Why I'm asking is:

MARIGOLD - bruises, contusion & strains, slowly healing wounds, ulcers, skin diseases, digestive problems, gall bladder complaints.

How does eating Marigolds help with the above skin ailments. Geez I should try marigolds I have such horrible eczema on my hands.

Susan:?:confused2::shock:

Susan, I assume you're supposed to use some part of the plant as a poultice, but I wonder what part; leaves or root? And how do you keep a poultice on a rabbit?

This almost certainly is a list meant for humans, not rabbits. Garlic & Scotch pine are on it, which I think would be deadly for rabbits. Garlic is listed as an expectorant, though rabbits can't throw up.

What is the source of this list?

Nerium oleander is Extremely poisonous. I don't know if it applies to rabbits but i wouldn't let mine near it. I use gloves when I must prune it. I am a professional gardener.

Four?

Ape337 wrote:
Nerium oleander is Extremely poisonous. I don't know if it applies to rabbits but i wouldn't let mine near it. I use gloves when I must prune it. I am a professional gardener.

Yes, oleander is poisonous to humans and bunnies. I think it's important to know how those herbs are to be used -- topically, orally, etc.

As a side question, I know mint is ok to feed to our bunnies, but does that apply to all mint plants. I have a "chocolate mint" plant in my herb garden. Does anyone know if that is safe for bunnies too?

LakeCondo wrote:
Susan, I assume you're supposed to use some part of the plant as a poultice, but I wonder what part; leaves or root? And how do you keep a poultice on a rabbit?

This almost certainly is a list meant for humans, not rabbits. Garlic & Scotch pine are on it, which I think would be deadly for rabbits. Garlic is listed as an expectorant, though rabbits can't throw up.

What is the source of this list?

Yes it is for rabbits and not for human the source is from this web site

http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/rabbitsandherbs.php

Ok so i'm more confused if this listis for rabbits but some of the things on the list are poisionous why are they on the list.:?

And how do you make a poultice?:?

Susan:?:confused2:

Having recently become an old lady [not very little, though] I don't want to disparage their site, but ...

There are 10-pages worth of herbal information in Rabbit Health in the 21st Century. I guess I can type it up notes on it later & post that.

Expectorate is a fancy way of saying spit up & an expectorant is something that causes spitting up. In connection with a cold, this usually means clearing the lungs &/or sinuses. I don't know if rabbits have the muscles for that, or if it's like clearing the stomach, ie they can't do it.

I think it's unlikely that chocolate mint has the chemical in chocolate that makes it a problem for animals. And surely when mint is listed as ok, they'd add 'but not chocolate mint."

A friend moved to Vegas about a year ago & I was giving him some plant information. I read that someone was either hospitalized or died from using a home-made hot dog roasting stick made from oleander wood.

Latest posts

Back