Helping a bunny adjust to a home with over animals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foreverblue127

Reaction score
***Oops, I meant OTHER animals!***

I am thinking of getting a new bunny. I am concerned that it may be stressful for it to be around my other animals. I have dogs, a cat and a rabbit. The rabbit we have now is from a pet store. He lived there almost a year before we bought him. I think that helped him adjust to our house so quickly. The pet store had dogs barking,birds making all kinds of noise and people petting him off and on all day. He came home with us and has never acted afraid or stressed out over the other animals. My dogs are huge! There have been a couple times where he escaped his pen and by the time I realized it he was climbing all over the dogs! He tries to play with the cat. Now I DO NOT leave him alone with any of the animals. He has his own room to play in.

So is his attitude more of the norm? Or is he unusual? I really want a new bunny, but I want it to be happy. What have been your experiences ?

I have 2 rabbits, 2 cats, 2 turtles, 2 gerbils, 9 birds, 2 fish tanks, and 1 frog. The rabbits live in the same room that has the bird cage. The cats come and go as they please (they just jump over the baby gate in the door to the bunny room). The cats and rabbits play together on a regular basis. One of the cats and one of the rabbits even cuddle up to sleep together.

There's a really good book I have about creating a peaceful kingdom. I will post it when I get home tonight (I'm at work now). It explains how to introduce differnt species so every one can get along well.

Best thing to do is to keep the new rabbit quarantined until he's accumulated to the other pet. Start by choosing a "neutral" area. Place where the pets aren't usually allowed to go and then while the new rabbit is in it's cage, bring the animal in one at a time and see how they interact. Any show of aggression or fear, take the animal out and try again the next day. After a while the rabbit should get use to having them come around. You can then try to see how they interact out of the cage, but keeping your old pets on a leash so if any aggression over takes one or the other you can pull them out. Unfortunately you would have to go back to the previous step of keeping the new rabbit in his cage with that animal and try again a few days later. After a few days of the leash introduction, you can then see how they interact without leash. if all goes well a few days after that then you can place rabbit out with the other rabbit and care for him as usual.

Good advice guys. Thank you. I have a large animal family. 4 dogs,1 rabbit,1 cat,4 turtles and some fish. All of my animals are older, with the exception of the rabbit.They have mellowed out in old age. I still do not trust my German Shepherd. My bun bun is kept in a hutch with a fence around it.Like a house and a yard!This set up is in doors. They walk by him and stop and sniff him through the fence. Do you think my rabbit is as comfortable with the animals because he grew up in a pet store?

Being exposed to many different sights and sounds as a young animal may make them more flexible. However, I recently adopted a rabbit that has spent her entire life (4 years) in a shelter. She never knew a home life. She has adapted beautifully. I think the birds singing may have made her nervous the first couple days, but now she binkies all over the place and it's only been two weeks as of tomorrow.

Off topic, but what kind of turtles do you have? Mine are three-toed box turtles. Kate and Leopold are quite the characters.

14135_021815_540000000.jpg

14135_021801_510000000.jpg

14135_021800_080000004.jpg

That's great that it was such an easy transition for your rabbit. As far as the turtles go I have, two red eared sliders, 1 African side neck and a baby eastern painted turtle! All wonderful. Especially the 10 inch female RES-Shelby. Here's a pic:)turtles

Oh you are brave having aquatic turtles. I rehabilitated a baby snapper once, but in general I'm not a water turtle person. I like mine on land, much less cleaning work :)

How much fun is your home!? I would suggest go to a shelter and really chat up the staff to find the more relaxed bun; you would have to "bond" your two buns (maybe your aware of the procedure - just didn't see this mentioned). I have 2 buns and a cat that are all pals; I've found if you introduce an animal to your "pack" that is younger than all (and more submissive) than the rest its much easier.

Will keep an eye out on your thread as I'm curious to hear what you find.

Good luck!

Well I found a really cute bunny at the humane society. He is three months old and came from a house with dogs,cats and rabbits! Also they will neuter him when he is old enough for free. Here is the link, tell me what you think-Bunny
oh and I have read about bonding here and there, but I am a little scared of it. I am going to see about getting my current bun neutered. I am hoping with both of them being neutered and the one being young... maybe that would help??? I do have supplies for a second bun, so it can take as long as needed to bond.

The link goes to the general page, not to a bunny.

The name of the book I mentioned is "Creating a peaceable kingdom: How to live with more than one pet" by Cynthia D Miller. It can be a little repetative if you have lots of animals and read all the sections, but it is very well written.

Thanks for the information on the book. I will look it up at the book store. I know the link for some reason takes you to the main page. The bunny is at the bottom of that page under all the dogs and cats.

I checked out the bunny and he looks cute.:) I would say that the biggest problem you will probably have is bonding the two buns. Unless of course your other animals have very high prey drive but it sounds like they are mellow.

I just brought home a new bun on monday and didn't do anything special as far as introductions. I have five dogs, four cats, three ferrets, three guinea pigs, snakes and tortoises.

My animals are used to living with different species so bringing in a new animal is not a big deal to them. Plus I've always had rabbits so they are used to them. I introduced him to a couple of the dogs at a time just so they can sniff him over and get that business done. I had him in his cage for awhile to just get used to all the new smells and sounds and then later brought him out to checkout the house. Right now he is on the couch with me and two of my dogs. :)

The big thing with my guys is that they don't get overexcited about new animals. So that really helps the rabbit to relax. In my experience too most rabbits have no problem living with other pets. This guy at the shelter seems like a good choice because he is already used to living with other animals. I would definitely get them both neutered though.

Ok, well I adopted that bunny from the Humane society! He is very cute and well mannered. He lets you hold him for quite awhile before he wants down. We renamed him peanut because Alister is a hard name to call out. He looks more like a peanut too:)He is scared of our dogs, but not terrified. I brought my two of my dogs in one by one to meet him. The dogs sniffed him and then laid down. The bun actual went up to them to say hello. Then walked away.I put the two buns cages side by side. I excepted something dramatic from my older bun. But he was just excitable for the first five minutes. Then he went back to playing and eating. They put their noses to the cage every once in awhile. But that's it. I have their cages about 2 inches apart right now. I had them closer but then got worried. Even though neither one can get their nose through the cage.What do I do next???

So I let them meet each other for a second. Bun bun (mature male) humped peanuts face. So I put the baby back in his cage and let the big guy run around. He kept trying to get at the baby. Clawing the cage and making a honking noise. So is he wanting to attack him or mate with him? Or both!?Oh and I moved the baby's cage out of the area.

Oh he is trying to mate with him. :) I would keep them in separated cages for now and get your older guy neutered asap.
Then get the new one done as soon as he is old enough. Once that is all done and everyone is healed up and had a chance for the hormones to settle you can bond them.

Back