Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivy

Reaction score
When I got from work this eve I was not greeted by my usual happy bunny ivy was fine and was happy to see me but Bailey was laying down and not moving much I grab this favourite treat parsnip and he would not touch it I'm thinking GI ad that share a litter I could not tell if he was pooping i rang the vet and took him down there they checked his temp bottom heat rate eyes and tummy noises they said every think was normal but I'm still scared and going to worry all night I put him back in his hutch with ivy as I didn't want him to get stressed out any more has any one else hah this before the vet said if he still showing Signs Tomo to take home back I can not bare thinking about if any think would happen to him :((

Did the vet rule out a complete GI blockage? Where any xrays taken or your bun given any sub q fluids for dehydration? Were you given any pain meds(metacam), gut motility meds, or recovery food to syringe feed your bun with? This is typical treatment for a rabbit with GI stasis, where the rabbit is not eating or pooping and a complete blockage has been ruled out. If your vet is telling your everything is normal and didn't give you any medications when your rabbit has stopped eating/pooping, this is not good and I would suspect the vet isn't rabbit savvy, in which case you should get a second opinion from a rabbit savvy vet right away if your bun is still not eating/pooping. The vet in Brentwood, that I mentioned in your other thread, is a good rabbit vet. If it is out of hours there, you could try calling their number to get their out of hours information.

In the meantime you should bring your rabbit inside and Ivy as well if they are bonded, as you need to keep a close eye on his eating and pooping. Plus a rabbit in stasis will usually have a low body temp. If your rabbit is cold, you need to actively warm him with warm packs or warm towels. If you have some infacol, you could also try giving 1cc of that once an hour for the next 3 hours in case the lack of appetite is due to gas pain. But most important is contacting a good vet and getting the proper treatment and medication for this illness.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Thank you the vet did rule out a GI blockage and she was right this morn he has eaten all his greens / hay and is pooping fine as I watch over him in letter box then graves it to check there was a normal pile of poops :) think he just must have been a bit down ? But glad I took him to be checked any way but I did not get a good nights sleep but worth it the vet is not my normal vet its a late night vet as mine was closed but they are rabbit savvy well that's what it says online the vet thoroughly checked him and he also saw a nurse first thank you but he is all good now :) think I was just being overprotective mummy

I am not fully sure how short to cut my buns nails. I know you have to stop before you see the pink but I am always worried I will cut it too short. My bunny pepper is black so I cannot tell on his hind legs where to cut. Any suggestions?

Ivy, be sure (for future reference) to always bring both rabbits to the vet, even if only one needs to be seen. Bonded rabbits should not be separated. A trip to the vet and coming home smelling differently has been known to cause bonds to break. Plus it is a comfort for the sick rabbit to still be with the comfort of his bonded mate.

Blue eyes I do normal take them together but I did not have time to catch the other one as I was in a rush to get home to the emergency vet ASAP

Latest posts

Back