HELP!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12animaluv34

Reaction score
My rabbit Penny is bloaded!!

What do i do??

She is laying down and u can tell she is bloaded.

I dont know now old she is i rescued her from a pet shop almost 2 years ago.

She is some kind of giant rabbit not a giant lop her ears are up and she is 8-10 pounds.

She looks like she is trying to go to the bathroom.

Her belly looks BIG!!

Im going to try to call the vet right now.

My mom wont drive me anywhere and i cant drive to take her to the vet.

She said i dont have the money to take a RABBIT to an emergency vet place.

But some how she found the money a month ago to take her dog their.

If i could drive i would be leaving NOW.

When did she last poop and did she have any diarrhea?

Is she pressing her tummy to the floor?

Is she cold? Can you take her temperature? It will be critically important to keep her warm if it is true bloat.

A vet will have to xray her and if it is true bloat, she'll probably need a tube inserted into her stomach (a few times) to drain the gas, liquid and other goop.

I'll grab the Library files.

sas :?

Also... could she maybe be straining to pee? When did she last pee and what did it look like? Has she been drinking more or less water than usual?

More often with true bloat, they're hunched in a 'loaf' and lethargic. Your bunny may have something else going on.

How is her breathing?

EDIT: Is she spayed?

She pooped yesterday

Yes she is pressing her belly on the floor.

She has been eating and drinking fine.

No she is not spayed.

I cant tell with all the bedding in her cage when the last time she peeded was she like always digs and covers everything.

Do you have any gas meds in the house containing mostly Simethicone? Like Gas-X,Mylanta, Maalox... anthing like that?

Anyfeeding syringes? (A syringe with no needle).

You may also need to give her some Motrin or Ibuprofen.

Does shefeel warm or cold to thetouch?

Check her litterthe best you can to make sure there's no bloody or thick white discharge. Also check her bottom to see if there's anything like that down there.

Any chance there's a plastic thermometer and someone to help you take her temperature via her rectum? I'd have to get youthe instructions.

If it's gas, you're going to want to give her gentle tummy rubs and keep her moving. If it's bloat, you want tobe very careful about applying pressure too much on her tummy. If it's a fluid build up, you're not going to want to exert her too much.

So you need to let me know if she cold, her breathing is labored,if shehas any kind of a discharge, etc.

I have her an a blanket.

Shes kind of cold but not to cold.

No i dont have any of that.

Ya i do have syringes.

You can tell she REALLy dosent fell good.she streching around kind of like crawling.

Pipp or other infirmary mods - some quick questions...

Would a baby aspirin (if they have any) be ok to help with any pain the rabbit might be in? Or no?

And for 12animaluv34 - has she eaten anything different in the last 24 to 48 hours that might have made her gassy or bloated?

I don't mean to scare you - but this is from our bloat/gas library article - maybe it will help you to figure out if she's bloated or has gas..

Bloat: [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]From: http://www.bunnylu.org/bloat.html[/font]

Having cared for many rabbits through the years, I have witnessed GI Stasis and Bloat. There are subtle differences between the two conditions, but prompt recognition and treatment determine the outcome. Whereas GI Stasis has a prognosis of fair to good, the prognosis for bloat is poor to guarded. Unlike GI Stasis, bloat happens suddenly and without warning. One minute your bun is eating, drinking, eliminating, and playing normally, the next minute he is depressed, moribund, and stops eating, drinking, and playing. Just like that. A bunny rapidly decompensates with bloat, and immediate veterinary intervention is crucial to his survival.

Gas: From: http://www.ontariorabbits.org/hot_topics/hint_9.html

Rabbits can - and do - suffer from gas. If ignored, painful gas can cause a rabbit to stop eating and go into gastrointestinal stasis, the slowing or complete cessation of normal intestinal movement. This can be fatal if not treated. Gas can also be the result of stasis.
Rabbits that have gas often exhibit one or more of the following symptoms: loud gurgling noises coming from the rabbit's stomach; hard, taut stomach; lethargy; and significant decrease in appetite. Often, this is the first sign of gas. When suffering from gas, some rabbits sit hunched up, with their eyes partially closed, some will sit with their stomachs pressed into the floor, or upright with an unnaturally straight posture.

Important: Gastric Dilation (Volvulus) or severe 'bloat' is not the same as a gas episode. With bloat, the stomach becomes extremely hard and grossly distended which can cause the blood supply to be cut off from the stomach or intestine. Bloat can quickly lead to shock and death. If you suspect bloat, do not massage the rabbit's abdomen, which could make the situation worse. Seek immediate veterinarian attention.

Here is the link to the article in the library..

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11931&forum_id=10

Any chance at all she's pregnant? Could she have a stuck kit, anything like that?

Is her bottom parts all looking normal? No swelling, redness, discharge.. ?

Does your mom have Meticam? (Meloxicam).

I'd try a very gentle abdomen massage and see if it seems to help or if it seems to cause her more pain. Most rabbits, once over the intial shock of having their tummies rubbed, appreciate therelief they get from the massage breaking up thegas bubbles.

It's not sounding like bloat,it may or may not be gas.

No 24 hour drug stores where you can find gas meds? You really need Simethicone and pain meds.

k i will go see what meds we have.

No she cant be pregnant.She has never been around any bucks.

Im going to go put her in her x-pen right by the computer and go check her cage.

Her belly is as hard as a rock!!

She has a metel bottem to her cage and it always just looks wet as far as i can tell her pee looks normal shes not jumping around at all.

And everything looks normal.

simethicone often has other names like Phazyme, Gas X, so you should check medications in your medicine cabinet and look at the ingredients on the back..if it is simethicone as the only active ingredient it is fine to give about1 ml of it.

Back