HELP!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phinnsmommy

Reaction score
I just found a deer tick on Phinn. Its TINY!! Im surprised I even saw it, but it was right on the edge of the eye, where he doesn't have any fur.

Ive gone to different websites, and it looks like a deer tick for sure. We do have them in my area, and they do carry Lyme disease.

Does anyone know if bunnies can get Lyme Disease?

Thanks, im kinda worrying!

EDIT: Just wanted to add that it was not embedded in him, I got it out, but it was biting him hard because it was really in there. Its out now, but it has a piece of his skin in his mouth :?

Yeah, I dont think there is a big chance of him having it because I found the tick so soon but I think I am going to call the vet and see what the syntoms are. Just to make sure because if he's had one I dont know how many other ones hes had.

Thanks for the reply iluvmybuns!

Some of the symtoms of Lyme disease are partial paralysis, and lethargy. My dog had it, and the first way we really knew anything was wrong was his hind quarters got all wobbly, like he was drunk, and he lost his appetite. I was wondering about deer ticks giving bunnies Lyme disease, too, I found a baby possum in Arthur's cage Tuesday night, and I know it had at least one deer tick on it.

Just saw your other post-as soon as the tick bites the disease is tranmitted, he just wouldn't be showing signs yet.

They can get a bad infection anyway, even if it isnt lymes disease. Blood infections and fever...I'd go tomorrow to get something at least topical to put on it, just to be sure. I don't want to get you all freaked out but I'm paranoid and I go for everything

Thanks so much guys! Im going to call my vet tommarow to see what they want us to do. Dont worry iluvmybuns (whats your real name again lol) im paranoid too, so I was going to call my vet anyway just to see what they say.

hehe, the things we do for the bunnies. The thing is so small, im just so glad it was on an area I could see.

Haha it's Julia. It's a good thing you caught it so fast before it dug in any father!!! Good catch, we seem to have the same "Oh my god what do I do???"reactions, haha

LOL, im not to worried right now. My family in PA gets Deer Ticks all the time, my aunt has had it like 10 times!!

He defenietly isnt lethargic, or have appetite loss.

Ill keep you guys posted when I call the vet tommarow :)

Hi I work for a Pharmacy and just wanted to let you all know that instead of pulling a tick out with a pair of tweezers try this first.... get a cotton ball and soak it with alcohol not the drinking kind ;) LOL then put it over the tick 9 times out of 10 the tick will back out of bitting. this is a good way so that the head doesn't break off and cause infection.

get a cotton ball and soak it with alcohol not the drinking kind
There IS another kind?????
shock.gif

Thanks for the tip! I was going to but I didnt want to do that because it was litterally right next to his eye and I didnt want to get it in his eye, because that would sting like crazy!

golfdiva- I think she means alchohol like beer, and then hydrogen peroxide, which is used in first aid to disinfect.

lol

Phinnsmommy wrote:
Thanks for the tip! I was going to but I didnt want to do that because it was litterally right next to his eye and I didnt want to get it in his eye, because that would sting like crazy!

golfdiva- I think she means alchohol like beer, and then hydrogen peroxide, which is used in first aid to disinfect.

lol
Sorry I didn't know it was next to his eye...yeah Alchohol in his eye would not be a good thing!

Phinns good today. Im going to call the vet as soon as I take my moms friend to the airport with her.

We saved the tick so they should be able to see if the tick carries lyme.

Ill keep you guys updated!

Well I called the vet, and she doesn't think there is a big chance he has lyme, because not all deer ticks carry it.

We just have to watch out for symptoms of him not being himself, too drowsy, etc. We also have to watch the bite area to make sure it doesn't get infected.

They are also going to get us some safe flea and tick preventative.

Oh and she said that they've seen rabbits who have tested possitively for Lyme, but show no symptoms, so even if he gets it, it may just pass right through his body.

Thanks for all the posts guys, im a lot more relieved now :)

Silvie&Phinn

Glad to hear Phinn is ok!

When I first found Mr. Tumnus (he was living in the wild) he was covered in ticks. It was the most disgusting thing Id ever seen. He had at least 20 of them on his back/neck area. I was able to get some to back out with alcohol, the others I had to pull with tweezers. My boyfriend was cowering in the corner as I did this! Wuss :)

He even had one that was so embedded the vet had to surgically remove it. Yuck.

Latest posts

Back