HELP!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheridan

Reaction score
Both my rabbits got spayed today. They have both eaten a bit and are currently trying to do a half bunny flop but cant get comfortable. The problem is they both keep shivering almost like they have the chills.

I kept asking the vet about pain meds but he said they dont need it. They got something that works for 24-48 hrs!! I asked numerous times.

I know they just went through big ops but is the chill thing normal? I have a sock for both with heated rice in them and the hutch is nice and warm..

I dont want to ignore this incase they are in pain.

When I got them home and I was lifting Ellie to the top bit of the hutch, Furby jumped out of hers and went straight to the food!

Please, any advice or help would be great!!!:?

Try warminga couple of socks full of rice in the microwave and put that in there with them.

Poor girls! They should have pain meds, but the good ones take a while to work, they have tobe taken with food,and can surpress their appetites (although so does pain).

One vet on here used an pain killer ear gel,and apparently it worked just fine,but that's not too common.

Hope they're feeling better soon!

sas and the gang

EDIT: oops, missed the part about the sock! :upsidedown good job!

Their body temperature does drop a little after the surgery. Keep up the good work with the warm socks or towels.

Some bunnies have more pain tolerance than others. If yours appear in pain, demand some pain meds! I had to get some for Jordi.

If they are eating, thisa great sign. Keep an eye on them and let us know if there are any changes.

Do you think I should call the emergency vet or just keep watching? I am guessing that if they were in a lot of pain they would not be doing their half bunny flops(they never do full ones)? Has anyone else heard of not getting pain meds? I know the vet said to initially that depending on how the op goes then they may give antibiotics, pain meds etc. I got charged the basic rate although before they did warn me that it may be close to £200 after everything. I got charged £140 for both.:?

Keep them quiet and calm for now.You might want to put a blanket over top of the cage to keepthem warm and to give them somepeace andsecurity. Check to see if they don't pull on their stitches.

If you think they are still in pain, you might try some Baby Aspirin. I wouldn't know what the dosage would be.
If all else fails, keep in touch with the Vet.

Rainbows! :)

I have been down beside them just now. I took some of my hand towels down, heated them and put them over the bunnies. I have also reheated the socks. I think it is cold more than pain. When I was touching them they were both colder than usual. At the moment, Ellie is under a hand towel, a large foled towel and beside the sock. Furby is sprawled out and is under the hand towel and with the sock.

They dont seem to be in pain I think but if they were what would it come across as?:?
Oh and I forgot to say earlier, they are both separated as they had 1 ncident a few weeks back so cant keep each other warm.

If they were grinding their teeth loudly and/or weren't eating or drinking, this would be a sign they are in pain. Keep up the good work with keeping them warm and keep encouraging them to eat. The pain meds from the procedure should last around 24 hours.

I went back to the vet for pain meds and they weren't very expensive.

Their not grinding at all but havent really eaten since they got back. They ate some veggies when they got back. I think they are just tired at the moment. Ellie I think is just curled up sleeping, and Furby is just relaxing.

I will keep checking though:)

Thanks for the really quick advice guys!

Furby is taking very occasional bites out of the veggies. As far as I could see, Ellie wasnt eating anything so I gave her some treats which she ate without any hassle. I have put a heater kinda near their hutch,(not close enough to heat them too much, but maybe just heat the area a bit more)

They keep running away from the towels and socks though!!

Just a quick update

They are a bit warmer but not much. They are moving around a bit more but still werent eating.... that is unless I hold the veggie directly under their noses and it can only be romaine lettuce. Nothing else will do today.

My only worry is the socks and towels getting cold overnight.:?

Oh and it doesnt seem like they have pooped since this morning but are peeing a bit(and not in the litterbox!!!) but I will let them off with that:D

Is no pooping normal?

nope thats never a good thing. you maybe need to take them to the vet if you dont see some poops!! what i do in that situation i would give them some wild grasses and just something about grass gets there guts going. if you have to feed them all night by holding hay and veggies to there nose then thats what you need to do. when Ryo went through GI stasis i had to do that a lot. luckily when she got spayed she was eating the night i brought her home.

good luck to you and your bunnies, keep us updated! i bet she NEEDS pain meds. i would demand them. its a major inturnal surgery and it sorta ticks me off that they didnt offer pain meds

No pooping is normal right after a spay. They loose their appetites for a bit, so nothing goes in, nothing comes out. But they're certainly eating enough early enough that they're probably home free.

We're not supposed to panicunless it'sbeen 23 hours without eating or pooping. (Of course we do anyway). :cool:

sas

Well, I checked this morning and they had eaten a bit of lettuce. They havent drunk much but they tend not to anyway when they are eating their veggies. They have pooped this morning but it is mushy. Im guessing that because of their diet over the last day.

I have been holding the food under their noses and they do tend to eat but push me away after a while. I checed on them this morning and both were doing their half bunny flops. No grinding.

Should I still call up for pain meds? I just wonder if they are in pain or not. They both seemed really relaxed this morning.

I am sorry to eep bothering you all with this. I just want to make sure I am doing right by them

If they look more comfortable then they probably don't need pain meds. Keep feeding them by hand, including hay. That's how my girls ate most of their food after their spays. The mushy poops are normal too because their diet was off yesterday.

Sorry but yet another question.How do I get them to eat the hay? each time I hold it under their noses they push my hand away but If I hold veggies, they munch like there is no tomorrow!?

Also, before the op, when I initially separated the 2 of them, Ellie(who now lives on the top floor) would shrink into a corner kinda like she was scared but would let me stroke her and would eat from my hand. Since yesterday, If I open the hutch door, she starts to breath really heavily and stays in the corner, but again eats from me!!.

Will she get better? Do you think when I rebond them she will be better?:colors:

im glad to hear they are doing better. i wouldnt worry about pain meds now either. i dont know how to get your bunnies to eat hay, mine always hate it when i put it in front of them with some incouragement.

and i cant help you with your last question

sheridan wrote:
Sorry but yet another question.How do I get them to eat the hay? each time I hold it under their noses they push my hand away but If I hold veggies, they munch like there is no tomorrow!?

Also, before the op, when I initially separated the 2 of them, Ellie(who now lives on the top floor) would shrink into a corner kinda like she was scared but would let me stroke her and would eat from my hand. Since yesterday, If I open the hutch door, she starts to breath really heavily and stays in the corner, but again eats from me!!.

Will she get better? Do you think when I rebond them she will be better?:colors:
Don't apologize...you're just concerned like the rest of us get.

So far everything sounds about normal as compared to our buns behavior after spay/neuter/surgery. Including the standoffishness.

It took Binkie 3-4 days to forgive me after her last surgery. Then she had to wear the ecollar for over a month. When I took the collar off she acted as if she HATED me. She even bit me again this morning when I put a timothy cube in her cage. Little snot.

:thumbupAnd kudos to Pipp for this: nothing goes in, nothing comes out

Yup I got the biting just now. I put held hay infront of them and Furby would grab it from me and chuck it. Ellie bites it and drops it then tries to bite me!! Shes a tough cookie to please!!!!:colors:

Latest posts

Back