Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble Briar86

Reaction score
A man contacted me about my californian rabbits after he saw my rabbitry in a directory. I told him that I do not ship, and asked him where he lived to see if other arrangements could be made. He said he lived in the United Arab Emirates and would send over a representative to pick up the bunnies.

I really don't know what to do. I'm not keen on the idea of shipping them overseas, not to mention i've never heard of something like this!

Has anyone else ever had someone ask to have rabbits shipped overseas?

I'm also concerned about the rabbits' welfare, i'd imagine it would be blistering hot over there for them until they are used to it!

Help!

Ellie

This is a common hoax. I get this type of email all the time and simply delete them.

You'll be sent a check that is more than the amount of the purchase. You are asked to cash the check and refund the overpayment. Unfortunately, it takes a couple weeks for your bank to discover that the check is a fake, and you are out the money you sent to the "buyer".

Pam

I'm really glad I asked someone about this then! It started to sound fishy when I told him I didn't ship and he kept pressing the matter anyways. I learn something new everyday....I just can't believe people to scams like this :disgust:, certainly had me fooled.

:thanks:for the help.

Ellie

I heard about this from a group I belong to. The lady who sent the alert out to everyone just said to ask them for pictures of their rabbitry and you will never hear back from them!

Sharon

That's a bit naff about the scam :X

But, fyi, I live an hour's flight from the UAE in Bahrain, and yes, in the summer it is too hot to have rabbits outside during the day. It can get up to nearly 50 Celcius at times, with a lot of humidity, almost 100% on some days.

Mine are kept indoors now, but I have had rabbits before when I was young that were kept outdoors during the summer under a shaded area. They'd been born in the heat and so were 'used' to it - as used to it as anyone can be, I guess. But I wouldn't recommend it.

It'd be a long flight here from the US... I wouldn't recommend shipping that far at all. Though I know you won't be doing it :p

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:
Yup, it's a scam...

"Mr. Andy Cole of Sokey Rabbits in Dubai in the United Arab Emirate."

He's emailed me a few times also, just delete them.

~Sunshine
Mine was a "Gary Edwards" (it's probably the same guy under a different name).....I deleted all his emails and hope I never hear from him again!

Ellie

Yeah, I've gotten that exact same email myself. One clue is if the email or just the subject line are all in caps. The name that contacted me was a Richard something or other, also Sokey Rabbitry. Watch things like bad spelling, all in caps, etc. that most people just don't do. Also, if the first message you get doesn't ask about breeds, or pedigrees, or the things most poeple ask about, it just says, tell me how many you have for sale and the price, I want them all. Always be suspicious of these kind of messages.

I used to get these all the time when i bred shelties.

LOL they get more creative every time.

I am so glad you didn't fall for it. You wouldn't believe how many people have fallen prey to these hoaxes and lost tons of money.

I've been in contact with someone from Sokey rabbits. I on't know if it is a scam or not. This person appears to be unlike most mugu scammers, in the fact that he kows the animals. I sent a list of what I had and he sent me back a list of what he wanted. It was not everythig I sent him, which kinda isn't normal. I also said I had an opal and he asked what it looked like. He said he heard it was like a blue with a red undercoat. It just strikes me as odd that he is interested in them. I won't send him any money though!

also, he had a different name, same rabbitry.

lgen0290 wrote:
I've been in contact with someone from Sokey rabbits. I on't know if it is a scam or not. This person appears to be unlike most mugu scammers, in the fact that he kows the animals. I sent a list of what I had and he sent me back a list of what he wanted. It was not everythig I sent him, which kinda isn't normal. I also said I had an opal and he asked what it looked like. He said he heard it was like a blue with a red undercoat. It just strikes me as odd that he is interested in them. I won't send him any money though!

also, he had a different name, same rabbitry.

It's a scam. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_fee_fraud

Still not sure? Tell him to go ahead and send funds, then see if the check clears through the bank. ;)

"Sokey rabbits" has probably contacted hundreds of rabbitrys as well as sellers of any other items under the sun. He will pick up on some of the jaron and be rather creative to make himself sound legit.

I've gotten a number of emails from this so called "Sokey rabbits" as well as from other potential "buyers". I just delete them.

Here's a couple of the recent ones I deleted:

Dear Breeder,

I am Mr Andy Cole of Sokey Rabbits, Dubai in the United Arab
Emirate. I need some rabbits for my farm.

I would like to know the Breed, Sex, Age and Quantity of rabbits that you have for sale

Waiting to read from you.

Andy

Hi,

I am MrAndy Coleof Sokey Rabbits, Dubai in the United Arab Emirate.

We are about expanding our rabbitry and we needed to buy more rabbits.

I would like to know the Breed, Sex, Age and Quantity of rabbits that you have for sale.

Waiting to read from you.

Andy

Pam, that is to the word (except for the name) the email I got from the "Sokey Rabbits" guy. I'll also guarantee it's a scam.

Wow, some people can be pretty darn sneaky! I'm just wondering, wouldn't the rabbit have to sit at customs or whatever for a long time before it can go into another country?

My first clue that it's a scam would be the name change!

Spring wrote:
Wow, some people can be pretty darn sneaky! I'm just wondering, wouldn't the rabbit have to sit at customs or whatever for a long time before it can go into another country?

My first clue that it's a scam would be the name change!

Yes, some countries quarantine imports.

Pam

I decided to do an article on the 419 scams, so have been corresponding with "Mr. Andy Cole" and have arranged the "sale" of 7 New Zealand rabbits. His "financier" will be handling the transaction and the "shipper" will be picking up the rabbits at my home. I'm now awaiting his "check" in the mail, and I'll let you know the rest of the story as it progresses.

These scam artists send out thousands of emails. They only need a couple suckers to make a profit.

Pam

Disgusting. What people will do for money is just plain crazy! What hasthe world come to these days! :shock:

I'll be following this thread/post to see what happends!

Latest posts

Back