Help writing thank you card to the vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
1 1/2 years ago I was told I would have to put Chase to sleep for her severe bladder stones. I wouldn't take that as an answer and found a vet that teaches exotics at The Ohio State University. That vet has fought with me and Chase to find ways to keep her alive andChase has done sowell. She has had such a great life and is such a happy bunny that just loves life. Even with the meds, she thinks it is great because she gets them hidden in treats.

Anyway, I took Chase and Little Bunny back to the vet today. This vet is an emergency vet clinic also so they get emergency walk ins. Due to the holiday weekend, a lot of vets were referring people to the emergency vets as they are closed on Monday and couldn't handlea serious case. So the exotics vet, Dr O, had to put down several animals today. She is such a caring vet and when she came to see the rabbits, she was in tears. I told her I couldn't imagine doing her job but to think about what she has given Chase, already 1 1/2 years more of life. And through her tears she said she thought Chase would live to a normal age. She thanked me and told me it did make her feel better. When I was leaving there was an older lady who was bawling as they just put her cat down. I felt awful. The lady lived all by herself with 13 cats, now 12. I wanted to get up and give her a hug but didn't want to come off weird. I wanted so badly to say something, but didn't know what to say. There I sat going home with my two rabbits, and she had lost her cat. I almost wanted to hide the rabbits lol.

Then I got home and was thinking about it. I don't know that I have ever let this vet know what she has given me, but more what she has given Chase. I guess seeing how hard her job is today really made me realize I should do something to let her to know what she has given Chase and I. I get to see my cuddly bunny everyday. I get to see her beg for treats. I hear her banging on her baby gate when she has already been out for 16 hours and I just put her to bed. I get to hear her grunt like a pig. I could go on and on. I cherish every moment. Even the times she goes to the bathroom on the floor 5 minutes after I just steam clean the carpets.

So, I was going to send a vet a picture card I am making on photobucket, but I don't know what to say. I don't think Thank you is enough. I don't think that expresses really what she has given me and Chase. As you can tell from this post, lol I am long winded. I can't get anything to fit on the card that makes me feel like I have let her know how thankful I am. How I cherish everyday she has given me and Chase. How I never will be able to thank her enough, never show her enough what she has done means to me and Chase.

I am looking for help on what to say. I am not good with words or expressing them in a short paragraph or a few sentences. Any ideas. Maybe even a poem or something that will let her know what she has given us.

:)what a lovely thing to do! if this was me i would put pics of chase on the card - some extra cute pics. i think pictures would speak for themselves so you could keep the words brief. something like: thank you so much for all you have done for chase,without your skill she would not be the healthy, beautiful bunny she is today.

good luck:)

I agree with Nancy. What you said in your paragraph about having Chase and not missing out on those "little things" means the world to all of us because all pets are individuals no matter what species. It's those little quirks that make them special in our hearts, and not many others would understand how cute/precious is it to hear Chase grunt.

Another possibility is to purchase a frame for a really nice picture of Chase. A nice 5 X 7 picture of Chase and a nice Thank You note where you could say everything you want to say on the front and inside. Then your vet could tuck the card in the frame with the picture. I do that with all of the sympathy cards I have received when one of my fur-kids passes away. I have a nice pic of them sittingout with cards tucked neatly inside the frame behind the pic.

Just a thought to give you more room to express how important your vet's care of Chase is to you. We all know how worried you were during the times you had to give Chase the sub-q's and other meds. Those were scary times, and we all held our breaths for the both of you. I think being able to express yourself completely, even if it does seem chatty, will be a good thing because you care enough to come up with a great idea like this.

Let us know how it turns out, and how she likes it....

:hug2:

myheart

Amy27 wrote:
I am looking for help on what to say. I am not good with words or expressing them in a short paragraph or a few sentences. Any ideas.
When the folks at Cornell got Scone through his problems over the winter, I made up a framed 5x7 picture of him with the words, "Thank you Cornell Vets, I feel so much better! Scone MacBunny" superimposed on it:
sconethanks.jpg

Wow you guys all had some great ideas. Not sure which one I want to do because they are all so good. I do plan on using pictures whatever I do. I like what Mike did and then may be like Janet said, I can write what I want on the back. Having the whole back would give me enough room to say what I want. Then they can have the picture in the frame but take it out and read the back for the thank you note. Such graet ideas guys, thanks.

After i had Sooty put to sleep i just needed to write a letter to tell the vet how much it meant to me to have her care for my rabbits. She just always had a connection, you could tell rabbits where in her heart. She is a vet that i had thought to be very abrasive and lack people skills when i had seen her previously with my bearded dragon so i was less then happy to have to see her again, but she was the only vet in the area, so i tried, and let me tell you i was never so happy, there was just a sparkle in her eyes for rabbits, and she was a completely different rabbit. After having Sooty put to sleep and her hugging me crying with me, i loved her even more, for the way she cared for Sooty like i did, she wrote me a letter in a card after he went to the bridge and i in turn sent her a very LONG WINDED letter, with a picture of Sooty. I just wrote what was in my head and my heart, you should do that, just write whatever comes out, even in the ramblings she will be able to tell how much you appreciate her, and what she does.

Amy you write extremely well.... If you even wrote a portion of what you wrote in the first post in this thread it would be great.

I sent a Thank You card to Beau's dentist after Beau died. I told him that if it had not been for his skill and expertise that Beau would have not been with me as long as he was;I told him that he gave Beau his life.

I told him that I felt really sad for bunnies with Beau's problems but that I was grateful for individuals like him who could treat them.
You could write something like that ,,,
but asI said you write very well and could also send a picture.

Just write from you heart...

Back