Help with rabbit food and hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweetie wrote:
Undergunfire: if the feed that I am feeding my rabbits is not good for them, then why are they healthy? I have only had to take them to the vet about 3 times since I got them last year. Farmland only sells the pellets for rabbits. I can probably get a big bale of hay cheap there. They also sell chew sticks, mineral blocks. That is pretty much it.
Here is your food, correct?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3076399&lmdn=Pet+Type

The reason why the food is unhealthy and not good for them is because of all of the little junk bits of veggies, berries, etc. Rabbits need a PLAIN pellet. Possibly the actual pellet in this food is a good one, but all of the little junk bits are not needed and are only damaging your rabbits (even if you don't see it) because of the sugars. Not to mention, all of those little bits could be harboring mold because most small animal foods sit in bins for months (maybe longer) until they are put together and packaged.

I'm just trying to help you out in your time of need :(. You really need to switch to a plain pellet for your rabbits health and to help out your wallet. And since the food you are currently feeding is an alfalfa based pellet (not recommended for adults, really), it won't matter if you switch to a cheaper plain pellet from a feed store.

I think PetSmart can even order in a 25lbs bag of ZuPreem for around $30...which, I think, is a good deal if you can't find a feed store.

Here, the Salvation Army and the Humane Society work together to get donated food to needy pet parents. But it's only for cats and dogs. Still, call your nearest Salvation Army branch and see if they have a similar program.

The easiest way to cut down on expenses is to buy hay by the bale and bulk pellets from feed stores. My rabbits eat so much hay I have to get bales. I found a farmer through a local feed store and I pay $3.50 for a 40 lb bale of mixed grass hay. My rabbits love it!

As long as your rabbits don't have extremely sensitive stomachs, just switch to alfalfa pellets bought at a feed store and decrease the amount you feed. What does Farmland carry? When I was raising baby rabbits for the shelter here, I was feeding a higher-end show pellet from a feed store and even that was only about $14 for 40 lbs.

Your rabbits WILL eat plain pellets if they have to. You just have to be stubborn about it. Switch slowly by mixing the new stuff in a little bit at a time, and make sure they have plenty of hay in case they're being too fussy about the pellets. Don't give up. I see rabbits come in to the Humane Society with junk food pellets (the kind with treats mixed in) all the time. We throw that stuff out and only feed plain pellets and hay. I've never seen a rabbit starve.

I don't know what you are using for litter, but my favorite stuff is one of the cheapest options anyway: wood pellets. About $5 for a 40 lb bag and very absorbent. You can get the stuff meant for horse stalls or for burning, it's all good as long as the only ingredient is wood and the bag says that it is dried, which removes the harmful natural chemicals from pine. Don't bother buying any litter from a pet store at all because it's a waste of money.

If you need to, you can put off spaying till later. Yes, it should be done. But waiting a few months won't hurt.:)

Is there a rescue near you that purchases rabbit food in bulk? They may be able to help you find a less expensive source of food an hay, or maybe purchase from them at a price less than what you are paying retail. I do not know what rescues are in your area, or what their policies are, but it can't hurt to contact them and ask.

Others here have mentioned trying feed stores, which can be great sources for finding a good price on pellets and hay. If there are no stores in your area that sell horse/rabbit/etc feed, there are online sources that will allow you to buy pellets in bulk for a much lower price than most pet stores. There are online stores, and some places sell their product directly. For example, American Pet Diner sells direct, and Oxbow can be purchased from several different online retailers. Even after you add on shipping charges, you will be saving money. I would encourage you to look for feed stores in your area first, and if that doesn't work out, start looking at online options. I order my pellets online, it saves me a lot of money.

Amy has some valid points about pellets. Rabbits really shouldn't be fed the pellets with the extra stuff in it, and it will probably affect their health in the long run. (Even if you don't see it right now.) The plain pellets can also be less expensive than the pellets with extra bits in it. There are high quality plain pellets that are cost less than lower quality "designer" pellets.

Additionally, re: alfalfa pellets vs. timothy pellets: Some people choose to feed alfalfa pellets through the life of their rabbit, and that is fine, but only if you understand the differences in the two. Timothy is a grass. It is high in fiber. Alfalfa is not a grass, it is a legume (bean/pea family). It is also high in fiber, as your vet has told you. However, it is also very high in calcium. It has 2-5x the calcium required for an adult, non-breeding rabbit. Extra calcium in the diet can result in higher levels of calcium in the blood, which can possibly result in other health problems down the road. Of course, calcium is an important nutrient for your rabbits to have, but they can generally get adequate amounts in a quality timothy-based pellet. I have heard that wool breeds need a higher calcium diet, but I do not know the specifics, and cannot comment on that. Most adult non-breeding rabbits, though will do fine on a timothy-based pellet. Especially if they are already receiving hay, they will get plenty of fiber.

I also second Amy's suggestion that, whatever happens, you should not split up Sweetie and Prince. If it comes to needing to rehome, they really should go together. Bonded rabbits have a very strong emotional bond, and if they are split up, they will both experience loss, sadness, and possibly depression. Prince would also have some confusion. It is best for the rabbits to stay together.

You're probably stressed with the situation, buteveryone hereis really trying to help you find a solution that will be best for both you and your rabbits.

:hug:

ETA: As Naturestee suggested, finding a lower-cost litter is also a great way to save some money. If you can't find the wood-stove pellets, any store that sells horse supplies should have horse stall pellets. As long as they are kiln dried, they are safe to use for rabbits, and are much less expensive than pet store brands.

Purina Mills recently did a change to all their feeds taking out all corn and added digestive tract additives. Check out purinamills.com for more info.

Below are their products and starting with the cheapest down to most expensive (at least for my area).

Purina® Rabbit Chow™ Complete- Fiber 17-20%
Purina® Rabbit Chow™ Fibre3®- Fiber 20-25%
Purina® Rabbit Chow™ Show Formula- Fiber - 18.5-2.5%
Purina® Rabbit Chow™ Professional Fiber 14.5-19%

In addition tobuying feed in bulk, rational feeding is important. I know nothing about how much you feed but the Netherland Dwarf only needs 1/4 of a cup (2 ounces) once a day. The key is an ounce of feedper pound of rabbit. 50 pounds of feedcan go a LONG way for just two rabbits as long as it's stored properly. I feed Show Formula and it averages $14 for the 50 lb bags. I'm only feeding 12 rabbits now and it lasts me a month so for $14 you could feed for 6 months on average. That is providing you have a way of storing the feed.

Like mentioned, mix the feed with the feed you currently are feeding them and take out the 'treats'. They WILL end of eating the feed. It could take them a few days but I'm sure you'll be surprised at how fast they might switch over. If there are problems, add some plain oats on top if their feed (just a pinch) and it will attract them to their feed. The plus side? You've got oatmeal for yourself when they are switched over fully!

I did a search for Purina Mills Rabbit feed dealers and the following were listed within 25 miles of your zip code. It appears the "Farmland" that you are speaking of is listed as a Purina Mills dealer.

[line]
BAY HAY & FEED INC
10355 NE VALLEY ROAD DEPT 2
BAINBRIDGE ISLAND, WA 98110
Phone No: 206-842-2813
Fax No: 206-842-1439

This Retailer May Carry the Following Products:

Purina Mills Lifestyle Products:
Horse, Poultry, Rabbit, Goat, Wildlife, Exotic

Purina Mills Livestock Products:
Cattle, Dairy, Swine

[line]
FARMLAND PETS & FEED
9000 SILVERDALE WAY NW
PO BOX 302
SILVERDALE, WA 98383
Phone No: 360-692-0415
Fax No: 360-308-0415

Cattle, Dairy, Swine

This dealer is Certified to Carry These Products:
Ultium Horse Feed, Well Solve Horse Feed
[line]
BAY HAY & FEED INC
PO BOX 4698 DEPT 1
ROLLINGBAY, WA 98061
Phone No: 206-842-5100

Cattle, Dairy, Swine

- Ultium Horse Feed

[line]
CHS INC.
20370 VIKING AVE NW
PO BOX 275
POULSBO, WA 98370
Phone No: 360-779-2527 3218
Fax No: 360-779-4294

Cattle, Dairy, Swine

- Ultium Horse Feed

[line]
CHS INC. PURDY/BURLEY
15824 66TH AVE NW
GIG HARBOR, WA 98329
Phone No: 253-851-4441

Cattle, Dairy, Swine

- Well Solve Horse Feed

[line]
STROH'S FEED & GARDEN SUPPLIES
3408 HUNT STREET, NW
GIG HARBOR, WA 98335
Phone No: 253-858-2051
Fax No: 253-858-6109

Cattle, Dairy, Swine

Ultium Horse Feed,Well Solve Horse Feed

[line]
ANIMAL SUPPLY CO
32001 32ND AVENUE SOUTH - SUITE # 420
FEDERAL WAY, WA 98001
Phone No: 253-237-0400
Fax No: 253-237-0396
Email: [email protected]

Cattle, Dairy, Swine
[line]
HORSE POWER FEED
EMERALD DOWNS RACE TRACK
2828 EMERALD DOWNS DRIVE
AUBURN, WA 98001
Phone No: 509-457-5291

[align=left]Purina Mills Livestock Products:
Cattle, Dairy, Swine[/align]

Thank you! I will check some of those out when I get a chance.

Undergunfire: I do appreciate you trying to help. Rabbits need fruit, veggies, pellets, and hay in order to be healthy.

I have been feeding Sunaturals ever since I got these rabbits, which is for a year. I would have seen problems by now in them.

Again, rabbits need a variety diet. Pellets, hay, veggies and fruit. I had a list of fruits and veggies that rabbits can have. If I am able to find it, I will post the list that I have.

Sunaturals has 1.5% calcium, 16% protien, 20% fiber, 3% fat, .3% phosphorus. It does have berries in it, but I bet it is the berries that they can have. I have to check the list.

Thank you very much for the suggestions! I will ask the humane society here and see if they can help with food and hay for my rabbits. The humane society here does have rabbits. It is worth a try! Thank you again for the suggestions.

Our rescue has helped in the past with food and hay in order to keep rabbits in their home. When we get a request, we buy them a 50 lb. bag of pellets (alfalfa) and a bale of timothy hay. It costs us $30 at the farm supply store. It is so worth it to us to spend the $30 rather than having to take a rabbit into rescue. I realize that alfalfa pellets are not ideal for adult rabbits, but we really can't afford to be buying people Oxbow!

I also support the idea of using the wood pellets for litter. I recently switched from Carefresh and love the pellets. They do a much better job with absorption and odor control. My outside trash can used to reek of urine when I used Carefresh. Now, with the wood pellets, there is barely any odor. I get a 40 lb. bag of horse bedding pellets for $8. It should last me close to a month with 4 rabbits.

Sweetie wrote:
Thank you! I will check some of those out when I get a chance.

Undergunfire: I do appreciate you trying to help. Rabbits need fruit, veggies, pellets, and hay in order to be healthy.
Rabbits need FRESH fruits & veggies, but only a tiny amount of fruits. The food you are feeding has stale dried fruits and veggies that have no nutritional value at all and could possibly be harboring molds.

I have been feeding Sunaturals ever since I got these rabbits, which is for a year. I would have seen problems by now in them.
Not necessarily....you will see issues later on down the road, as the rabbits start to age on into their elderly years. This happens quite often with people feeding a low quality cat/dog food to cats/dogs.

Sweetie wrote:
I will ask the humane society here and see if they can help with food and hay for my rabbits.
You could ask the humane societywhere they get the pellets and hay from.So next time, you can get your own.

You could also check for any rabbit clubs or breeders in your areato see where they get their food from.

a basic food will do fine for the rabbits.

grocery stores, general chain pet stores sell feed that MOST times (not always) is unhealthy for your pet. It's how they make money...o your rabbit needs this food because theyll like the bits of dried fruit in it. its a selling point, it doesnt mean it's healthy for you pet. I worked in a pet store for 2 years and i KNOW the selling points they tell you to make sales.
It's like eating cheerios with chocolate in it for us.

if your having trouble affording food, go basic...then once you can afford the more expensive feed again you can go back to what you are feeding. thats your choice. but were trying to help you keep your rabbits and eing cost effieceint with their food is a good start.

Also, with hay, you can go on craigslist too and see if anyone is selling by the bale. It's kinda late in the season and some farmers may have bales left for cheaper than what you can get at a feed store.

i am a single mom with low funds right now...my hay is free thankfully because my connections, my feed is 8$ a month because i buy in bulk, and my litter is 20$ a month becase i buy wood stove pellets...the cost of a rabbit a month can add up to half of what people spend on fast food a month most times...so i would say budget out what you have and make

Sweetie, is there a Dels Farm Supply near you? I know there is one in Auburn...if you are close to there, you could get your pellets from there. ;)

Dels has plain rabbit pellets, and timothy hay. I buy a 50lb bay of pellets for about $11-$14, and it usually lasts my 12 rabbits about a month, maybe more. I can get a huge bale of timothy hay (probably about 100 lbs) for about the same price as a bag of feed, and this lasts my twelve rabbits about a month, as well. And that is with providing them hay 2x a day. ;)

Emily

I am on craigslist just about every day looking, I found one ad for free hay but the hay has mold in it because of the rain. I was going to get it until I saw that it was out in the rain and moldy. I certainly don't want any hay that is moldy, it would make my rabbits sick.

There is Farmland in Silverdale which is near me. I don't have a Dels Farm Supply near me. Although I could probably look in Port Orchard and see if there is a Dels Farm Supply there.

Heyy i live in washington too, and BlueSkyAcresRabbitry suggested i get my hay from Dels feed store. Theres one in auburn by the supermall i think? Not exactly sure.. And even though i only have one bun and one guinea pig it still saves me a lot of money even if i have to throw away some at the end. I usually get a huge bail for like $16

Can someone drive you? I can just imagine someone on the bus with a huge bale of hay haha, don't imagine it would be easy lol. My friend was dared to move his house via public transport, gettingbeds on buses is not easy!

I can imagine myself with a bale of hay trying to lift it each time I have to get off and on the bus.

I am not sure if someone can drive me. But if someone could that would be greatly appreciated.

I will need it for next month. I have enough food and hay this month. But I need food and hay next month and following.

I wanted to take a moment to add to this thread - I'm so glad you felt comfortable about posting on this forum about getting help - I'm sure there are times when many folks face a hard time but forget to ask about where they can get help, etc.

I wanted to point out something about the food that you've been feeding your rabbits.

When my kids were young - they loved fruit loops and some of those super sweet cereals. If we ran out and all they had was corn flakes...they might skip breakfast for a day or so - or have a piece of toast. As soon as the fruit loops came back into the house (yes - I have a weakness myself for fruit loops) - they were back to eating their breakfast.

Now - considering the fact that there are always studied saying, "kids need to eat breakfast..." - I could look at the situation and go "well...they're eating breakfast - so they're doing better than their classmates..".

But ... the fact is that while they would be eating breakfast - it wouldn't be the BEST breakfast for them.

They might not have any health problems even...at the time. But..later on they might have some health problems because they didn't get enough of the minerals and vitamins they should have received at an early age.

This is sort of the situation with the food you are using. It is higher in sugary things (or high calorie "treats") than what the rabbits need or should have.

Yes - it has fiber and the vet said that was good. But not all vets really know about the needs of rabbits or the importance of having pellets without all those high calorie treats in them. They may not think about the possible long-term effects like could the rabbit have issues later on because its getting "treats" that don't help its body.

I hope that makes some sense and shows why we're concerned.

By the way - to this day I'm still a "Fruit loops" fan and LOVE the cereal. But I limit myself to a bit every now and then. Your rabbits can have their "treats" via. their fresh fruits and vegies and stuff - and be healthier while still being happy.

Good luck finding a food supplier.

Back