Help with rabbit food and hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TinysMom wrote:
Many many breeders do not give their rabbits fruits and veggies all the time - I know I do not (although they do get them from time to time). With good pellets and hay - the animals still thrive and do well.

I'm not saying veggies aren't good or important....but there are rabbits that don't have them all the time and survive quite well.

I've learned that we do what we can as we can....in our family - the pellets and hay are budgeted for - salads come as we can afford them.

I don't. When I moved, I didn't have a job down here. I had budgeted a certain amount to cover animal feeds for a couple months until I got ajob down here. My guys, get a timothy based pellet(5oz's a day-except the V-lops)- Big Red, since Blaze adores it, and the others like it- grass hay and alfalfa cubes for them to chew on. Since I also have horses, I get the 50# bag of alfalfa cubes. I have 23 rabbits so a 50# bag doesn't last all that long(23 rabbits, my two horses and my aunts 5 horses) but it is a way to break things down if you know of a stable nearby.

And when it comes to the dried fruits and veggies in the pellet. I found the pellet in them to be not as good a quality as a straight pellet. I had one rabbit that refused to eat her pellets and her owner(She was boarded with mine) bought the mixed diet and now she's the pickiest eater. But with me now she simply isn't given another option. She has her hay, alfalfa cube and her pellet. They get fresh garden greens from the garden all summer/fall and I have been budgeting in buying fresh fruit and veggies for the winter. Just be careful when you switch them over off the "Extra's" feed, they will be picky. Mine has taken on a much too spoiled outer shell and threw things at me when her owner said she didn't want her anymore- traded her for a dog.d :p

Latest posts

Back