Help with gnats biting our rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilly5

Reaction score
We have an outdoor rabbit in a large cage and during the warmer months gnats start bothering him and biting his ears. Does anyone know of anything we could put on his ears to keep the gnats from bothering him. Thanks!

The problem with using chemical sprays is that rabbits will lick it off and ingest it, which could make a rabbit sick. The best thing that I can see to do, is put up some mesh window screening to keep the bugs out of the cage and off of your rabbit. If you still need to use a bug repellant of some sort, I would try and find something that is all natural. But even then you need to carefully look over the ingredients to make sure it's safe for rabbits.

If you HAVE to use a bug repellant, this is one I've been using for years:

https://smile.amazon.com/Insect-Pro...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
I live in the swampy, humid south of the US, and this is one of the only things that seemed to work (natural or not) against the gnats and no-see-ums. It's all natural, and the worst thing in it is isopropyl alcohol.

Spoiler alert: It SMELLS delicious, but doesn't TASTE delicious! 😂 😂 😂 (Take my word on this one)

Latest posts

Back