Help With Getting Supplies and Food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InternationalBunnies

Reaction score
We are currently living overseas and have rescued some bunnies. Rabbits are not often seen as pets over here, therefore, it's extremely difficult to find any rabbit supplies. Does anyone know of any sites or resources that sell hay internationally at low prices? As well as other supplies, such as, litter? The very few people over here that actually do keep rabbits as pets do not feed them hay or keep them in a good environment.. Please help! :sigh:

Where do you live? Surely there must be some agricultural area in your local region. You can go to a feed store to get horse hay by the bale, and if you can't get rabbit pellets easily, rabbits do just as well on a good vegetable diet. I think there are some members on here that only (or primarily) feed hay and veggies, maybe they'll come along and share their exact diet proportions.

As for litter, I use kiln-dried wood pellets. You can use anything, really (except pine or cedar shavings), some people even use shredded newspaper.

China.. we are in the city so there are no farms and such. There are also no pet stores that carry hay.. we've gone to about every single one.. they just have cat supplies (clay, clumping litter) and dog supplies. We are able to get pellets so I have been feeding the vegetables, pellets, and hay when I can get any, which is rare. There is one store far from us that sometimes has it but has not had any for the past month. I used newspaper as litter, however, they would quickly soak it then end up dirty form sitting in their pee.

Hmm. I have been to a bird store that sells hay. I don't know why exactly, I can't see why birds would need hay. Nesting material maybe. But if there are bird stores where you are, might be worth checking it out?

Non-clumping cat litter can be used for bunnies, if you can find some.

Sorry I'm not much help, hopefully someone else will have better suggestions! It is hard to find pet supplies that ship internationally - I have tried and haven't been successful :/

I'll keep that in mind. Of course, they only sell clumping litter here haha! Well thank you for responding. :)

I've bought hay on eBay (before my state introduced a really high quarantine fee) - can you get any delivered to you from there?

This sounds like a nightmare. I thought Mexico was bad when it came to pet rabbit keeping but this beats it. The irony is that a lot of toys and other products come from China. Wholesale would be a better way to purchase online internationally. Would it be too expensive to have someone from the States ship a box of supplies to you?

Where in China are you living? I have a friend in China who also has a pet rabbit, and I can ask her where she gets her supplies if you need. It might also be possible to find something on Taobao, though admittedly I haven't taken a look since I can't use any of their payment methods (being a Canadian for so darn long!). Their domestic shipping costs are very low so if you're able to find an online retailer that will mail to you, I don't think it will be too much of a problem.

Yeah I'm kinda wondering if this lil problem has been solved too hehe

I use recycled paper cat litter. Doesn't sound like you have it, but keep an eye open for it. It works great

Thanks everyone. I have been ordering hay off of Taobao, it is not cheap but it's not too bad. I cannot get any toys here but I will be going back to the states soon and will bring some back for them. It is such a pain! I am able to buy pellets here, however, I have no idea what is in them or if they are timothy-based. Honestly, I think we are living in the only city in the world that does not have this stuff! There are no animal shelters either.. the animals sold here are treated awfully. I saw about 15 baby bunnies stuffed into a tiny cage meant to carry one bunny.

In terms of litter, we have ordered paper-based litter offline. However, (I know that cat litter is not supposed to be used due to the rabbits digesting it) I just tried out cat litter, which has worked great. Don't worry, our litter box set up does not allow the bunnies to come into contact with the actual litter so they won't be eating it or anything.

I buy and send things to the Rabbit Rescue in Poland and also several humane societies in the Islands. If you would like me to help you, please send me a Private Message...

Good Luck
Vanessa

We are currently living overseas and have rescued some bunnies. Rabbits are not often seen as pets over here, therefore, it's extremely difficult to find any rabbit supplies. Does anyone know of any sites or resources that sell hay internationally at low prices? As well as other supplies, such as, litter? The very few people over here that actually do keep rabbits as pets do not feed them hay or keep them in a good environment.. Please help! :sigh:

I buy and send things to the Rabbit Rescue in Poland and also several humane societies in the Islands. If you would like me to help you, please send me a Private Message...:brown-bunny

Good Luck
Vanessa

Yeah third world and even some places in the States are pretty bad.I make sure not to visit pet stores in other countries since they pretty much seem like fresh meat markets

Latest posts

Back