Help with bunny proofing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cora Jones

Reaction score
My rabbit has never been the type of bunny to jump over things. However, I have some cords around my computer desk that do not have any protectors on them. I am worried that if my rabbit ever decides to jump out of his cage, that he would chew them. His cage is a c&c grid cage with no lid. It's two grids high. I have heard some rabbits can jump over even three grids. I can't put grids on as a lid because the c&c cage itself is pretty big and irregularly shaped so the grids would cave in. I am worried about using a sheet because if he jumped and got caught in it, it would be so scary for him and he could hurt himself. I have a little fence that is one grid high blocking my desk for when he roams my room and is supervised. He is only in his cage when I am at work. I just want to make sure the cords are either protected or unreachable because everything else in my room isn't dangerous to him. Are there any cord protectors that are actually thick enough that he couldn't chew through them even if he got out and chewed them for multiple hours while I am at work? Or any type of lid I could put over his cage while I am gone? Or would making the cage 3 grids high work? I also thought I could get a 4 foot high xpen and block off my computer completely and also use cord protectors as backup? I know some people use just cord protectors and that's all, but I feel like he could chew through them because he loves chewing on things. Sorry for all the questions, I just couldn't forgive myself if he got hurt or electrocuted somehow.

So I thought about it some more, and I am thinking that the xpen would be the best solution? He has never even jumped one grid high so I feel like it is super unlikely that he would just over his 2 grid cage and then jump a 4 foot xpen. There is nothing he would be interested in near my computer so he has never showed any interest in trying to jump the current one grid high wall. He seems really scared of grids so I don't think he would try to jump any grids, just to chew cords that he doesn't currently know exist. Does that sound okay to any of you guys? Also, if I unplugged my cords from the wall, would that stop him from getting harmed by them in the first place?

Unplugging the cord will keep the bunny safe. Myself just cover up the whole place where my bunnies can chew around my computer.

But it’s always better to be safe than sorry, you can never know if he will want to explore and break out. Maybe show a picture of your set up ^^

Thank you for the reply! <3 I agree it is better to be safe than sorry. I'm not entirely sure how to upload pictures on here? But I ordered a 4ft xpen and my computer is close to wall outlet so all the cords are in one spot. I think the xpen should be able to cover the entire area. Do you think the xpen would be tall enough to keep him out? Especially since I have never seem him jump before? What do you use to block your bunnies off from things?

Thank you for the reply! <3 I agree it is better to be safe than sorry. I'm not entirely sure how to upload pictures on here? But I ordered a 4ft xpen and my computer is close to wall outlet so all the cords are in one spot. I think the xpen should be able to cover the entire area. Do you think the xpen would be tall enough to keep him out? Especially since I have never seem him jump before? What do you use to block your bunnies off from things?

I just collect all wires in one place and covered it with cardboard. My bunnies don’t play with cardboard. So I have it easy, most of my wires aren’t on the floor and I just cover where they are plugged.

I think the expen will work with your bunny, he seem to not be a jumper like my bunnies are.

Myself just find it easier to load up pictures with the phone and the app xD

My rabbit has never been the type of bunny to jump over things. However, I have some cords around my computer desk that do not have any protectors on them. I am worried that if my rabbit ever decides to jump out of his cage, that he would chew them. His cage is a c&c grid cage with no lid. It's two grids high. I have heard some rabbits can jump over even three grids. I can't put grids on as a lid because the c&c cage itself is pretty big and irregularly shaped so the grids would cave in. I am worried about using a sheet because if he jumped and got caught in it, it would be so scary for him and he could hurt himself. I have a little fence that is one grid high blocking my desk for when he roams my room and is supervised. He is only in his cage when I am at work. I just want to make sure the cords are either protected or unreachable because everything else in my room isn't dangerous to him. Are there any cord protectors that are actually thick enough that he couldn't chew through them even if he got out and chewed them for multiple hours while I am at work? Or any type of lid I could put over his cage while I am gone? Or would making the cage 3 grids high work? I also thought I could get a 4 foot high xpen and block off my computer completely and also use cord protectors as backup? I know some people use just cord protectors and that's all, but I feel like he could chew through them because he loves chewing on things. Sorry for all the questions, I just couldn't forgive myself if he got hurt or electrocuted somehow.

Xpen is plenty high enough- mine is 80cm and you can configure as you like and make bigger with more panels image.jpg

In some places (computer) I made a wooden cover attached to the desk. Someone I'm married to had to remember to tuck in the desk chair (stairway for rabbit) after the second sound system cables were destroyed. Had to put floor tile over phone cord too.

If you ordered the Midwest style ex-pen that is 4' tall, you may be surprised at how extremely heavy it is. When it is folded up I cannot pick it up and carry it anywhere. I have to waddle walk it. I just saw this thread, but I would have suggested either a 30" tall ex-pen (which I have used with none of my rabbits ever jumping or climbing over) or adding that 3rd grid to the height of your existing cage.

The other advantage of the 30" pen is that it is easier to reach over or step over (if you're tall enough) to access bowls and litter box.

Thank you guys for the replies! I feel a lot better now. I think I am going to add a 3rd row of grids to his cage and then use the xpen for something else later on. I am glad to know that he most likely wouldn't be able to jump it. Thank you all for the advice. It really helped. <3

Latest posts

Back