Help with bonding!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunloves

Reaction score
I need some ideas on how to bond with your bunny. What did you guys do when you first got your bunny? I've tried to search some ways with bonding but I'm not sure if they work. Please let me know what worked best for you. Thank you! :dutch

I have found that time is definitely your best friend when bonding with any animal. Hand-feeding veggies has usually worked for getting mine to willingly approach me. Now, even without food, they jump up on my legs begging for attention. It's imperative that your rabbit trusts you, so avoid picking it up or stressing it out until you have a mutual trust and respect. Also, is your rabbit altered?

I struggled as well with this. I can say, since I've neutered him, he's more social. And I am using the alfalfa pellets as his treats and that is working perfectly. He's on Timothy pellets for his main pellets now. I've tried bananas, and other suggestions and he just turns his nose up to them. LOL

My girl was very antisocial when I got her, the thing that worked the most to bond with her was just sitting near her and talking to her. I would spend hours just sitting in a room with her having all kinds of conversations lol and eventually she got curious enough to come over and sniff me or get on my lap. But she wouldn't let me touch her. Eventually when she finally trusted me she would "tell me" when it was okay to touch or pet her. Except now she constantly is looking at me waiting to tell her how pretty or silly she is haha they love to be flattered.

I put mine in a pen outside and sat in there with them doing things like homework, reading, or anything really. I let them climb all over me and get used to my smell. I would also give them an occasional carrot or something. I worked to picking them up. After you do that, the most important thing is to continuously spend time with your bunnies. Good luck!

Back