Help with allergies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nevets

Reaction score
So in april my wife fell in love with a bunny we saw at the lps and wanted to get it. I warned her that it was going to be a big deal and she still wanted.

So now after 6 months and winter coming hes starting a heavy shed and my wife is dying with allergies. I vacuum and mop the room hes in every second day and clean the cage too but that only helps for a day.
So we came to the conclusion. If your allergies continue like this we are going to have to get rid of the rabbit within a week and. I really don't want to. does anybody here have any other suggestions to help..
I also wipe him down with a damp cloth and mist his hay

other than having her take allergy meds, theres not much you can do. animals are messy and anything with fur or feathers will make a mess (believe me!). there could be several things causing the allergy- fur, dander, hay, bedding... and with other animals it could be saliva. you could maybe have a rabbit room to "contain" all of the allergy triggers, but that would be no fun for the bun if no one is visiting him a lot. rabbits (and all other animals) shed all year around. most people think the shedding stops and there are only two times a year that pets shed but that is false. so after this heavy shedding season, the allergies might not be that bad, but there will still be the dust from the hay and dander. rabbits can have a lot of dander if they have thick fur. as a groomer, i take my rabbit to work and i use the force dryers on a low setting and blow the shedding fur out- and the dander. if it has been a while, it looks like someone threw flour on the table (my rabbit used to be outdoors and has a really thick coat). recently i have been doing this at home, using our compressor, with a small air flow adjustment nozzle, i can blow her out outside. my rabbit is very tolerant of this.. i am not saying to try this with your bun!! in the end, rabbits are still going to shed and hay will still be dusty.

Unless you live in a really hot climate, you could keep him outside. I live in the northeast part of the US and my bunnies live outdoors. They can tolerate the cold just fine. He would need a sturdy hutch, shed or barn and a run for exercising.

Frankly, it's not the rabbits fault your wife is allergic to it. If she wasn't sure if she had an allergy toward rabbits, she should have had herself tested before you brought a rabbit into your home. It's unfair to the rabbit to send him or her to an uncertain future... *shakes head* I feel worse for the rabbit, I have to say. I have wretched allergies year round, and I wouldn't dream of sending my rabbits away for anything, even though their hay and I don't exactly get along.

They say not to go to bed when you're angry... so I'm off to the Bunny Photo album to chill the heck out... Animal abandonment is one thing I do not agree with... most of my animals are rescues from people dumping them for one reason or another.. Please don't be another statistic... if you're going to give him to someone, seriously do your hardest to find someone who is going to love and care for him.

Has she seen an allergist? Do you know what she's allergic to? Was she always reacting to the rabbit and it's just gotten worse recently or has something else changed (maybe you switched him to a different variety of hay) that she's allergic to?
There are good treatments available for people with allergies, but that's a question for her doctor. In the meantime, frequent vacuuming may help as well as adding in a good air filter. Some people who believe they are allergic to their rabbits are actually allergic to their hay so that's definitely worth considering. Changing hay varieties may help or switching to a less dusty brand or having you shake the dust out of the hay while you're outside and then bringing that hay in.

We bought him when he was just 2 months old and for the few first months she was fine, she would even take him out and play and hold him but i did change the hay to Versele-laga because it comes in a big compressed bundle and looks greener and fresher.

Hi-- I have very severe allergies and am savy on a personal, nonprofessional level. I am less reactive to bunnies than to cats and dogs and I have three houserabbits. I have a very powerful (ulpa, one up from hepa filter) air filter in my bedroom, a powerful Miele canister vacuum (hepa), and specialized bedding to counter dustmites. I keep my hay in my bedroom, but in a large closed container. I am careful to avoid foods and other stuff I'm allergic to, as many allergies are additive. Subtracting a bunch of mild ones gives me more room to be healthy around my bunnies. I also groom my bunns more often and more thoroughly than most bunny moms. I change my bunny pans/boxes once a day.

I most strongly disagree with the idea that "there's nothing you can do." Start with your health service -- and allergy testing, and insist on seeing an allergist. Some allergies are seasonal and it helps enormously to know which ones are active and when. Hit the internet for allergy-product-companies. Many of the products I use have in their advertisements rankings from UK and European health services. All these "accomodations" add up, expense wise and even time wise, but they can be gotten over time. And yes, they make a terrific difference. For me, they are crucial. I do love my bunnies.

This is a lengthy post and I left out many details and happy stories. You are wonderful to help so much. If you have questions for me, I'd be happy to help in any way I can. I know from experience that bunns and allergies to them are reconcilable. Best of luck, and love to you, your wife and your bunny!

So in april my wife fell in love with a bunny we saw at the lps and wanted to get it. I warned her that it was going to be a big deal and she still wanted.

So now after 6 months and winter coming hes starting a heavy shed and my wife is dying with allergies. I vacuum and mop the room hes in every second day and clean the cage too but that only helps for a day.
So we came to the conclusion. If your allergies continue like this we are going to have to get rid of the rabbit within a week and. I really don't want to. does anybody here have any other suggestions to help..
I also wipe him down with a damp cloth and mist his hay
the best idea/solution is to keep the grasses in a cool dry area-,ie.sealed container--not any where around humans,,-the bun requires daily feeding of grasses-poop boxes can be shreaded newspaper----what you are trying to achieve is some kind of balance because all required grasses-(feeding)-and the release pollen,,-please donot spray said grasses-this starts a molding process which will kill your bun...hope this helps,i love what I do with my buns and I tolerate all,but some people have major health problems not just allergies,ie.copd-and other lung diseases-like me,-sincerely james waller:inlove::imstupid:headsmack:bunny22::bunnybutt:

I am allergic to our buns and the hay. I take 260mg of Allegra per day and use Flonase each day. If I don't use the Flonase, I can't snuggle the buns. If I use Flonase, I can snuggle them and rub my nose in their fur and everything. Very rarely, I have to use my inhaler. A friend of ours always jokes with me, "better living through chemistry". Ehhhh I love my bunnies. So I do it. I'm allergic to everything with fur. So I knew full well that bringing them into my life would require 24/7/365 medicating.

Back