Help! Unexpected babies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mollz

Reaction score
My friend rescued a rabbit over a week ago (it had been running loose in her uncles garden for a few days), and this morning woke up to surprise babies! They don't know how many there are yet and they are terrified of what today in case they end up dying :?

I'm trying to get her to join this website - but thought I would make a thread for her anyway. Basically I would just like some tips on what/what not to do and how to keep them happy and healthy, of course I do know about general rabbit care, but haven't dealt with babies and neither has she!

Please reply ASAP, and thanks in advance :)

Here's a good place to start:

PIN: The Bunny - From Conception to Weaning and Breeding Basics

She should make sure the babies are covered with hair and warmin some type of a nest box or secure area,and that there'sno dead ones in the nest.

Give the mom a little treat while she'schecking the babies, and she shouldn't mind unless she's really a skitish bunny.

The mom will only feed them once or twice a day, and after they've been fed, their bellies should look like they've swallowed ping-pong balls.

Keep an eye on her, try and make her feel safe, if she was just brought in, she may be nervous. Sometimes they will stomp on and kill their babies. :(

But definitely read the above link.

Good luck to her!

sas :)

Tell your friend to definitely sign up here! She's going to have lots of questions as those babies grow.

She needs to check the nest for any dead babies or left over placentas. Those can cause illness in the healthy babies if they start to rot in the nest.

If the nest is not in a box, she needs to put it in some sort of box. In a pinch a large shoe box works quite well. Pack the box with hay and make a hole in the middle. Transfer as much of the original nest to the box as possible. A box will help keep the babies together so one doesn't wander off and get cold. It also helps prevent babies being dragged from the nest after nursing.

She needs to check the babies at least once a day. To make sure mom is feeding them, as she most likely won't see mom nursing. As long as the bellies are round and not wrinkly, mom is feeding them.

If mom is not doing so well feeding them, your friend will have to help teach mom how to feed the babies. She'll need to take mom to the nest twice a day and place her over the babies (standing over them) and the babies should nurse from beneath her. Give mom treats and pats to keep her in the nest for at least 5 minutes.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

--Dawn

Well this morning all was well and there were 4 healthy babies. She has been following your tips and will keep doing so - I'll keep helping out as well and will keep you posted as they hopefully gorw into lovely young rabbits (and before you ask I won't be having one lol I'll have to try and resist :D).

Thanks

I'm so glad that the babies were healthy. Some key points to remember are:

when their eyes open - if there are any that open their eyes later than the others - she may want to use a warm damp cloth to help open them

when they start to eat solids - I like to give extra hay at that time for the little ones to start out on...and a tiny tiny bit of oatmeal

It is so important to start handling them and socializing them when they're young too. She may want to wait till their eyes open (I hold them all before then so they get used to me) but to have the friendliest rabbits...start handling them when they're young....gently of course!

Peg

Back