HELP trying to save baby rabbit! (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffytariq

Reaction score
I have a prblem, My choc doe has had 2 babies and i found one dead earlier today and another small one in her bed. she has got hardly any fur in their so i put a layer of sawdust underneath to make it more of a nest left it for a about 4 hours went back and found the baby struggling on the floor. I have decided to try and help by putting him on heat as he is freezing but i don't think she is feeding it so i gave it some lactol. I know that hand reared rabbits are not very common to live more than a couple of days but i have to try for this little guy. Anyone got any advice?

I just posted this on the other forum (cross posting so people here know what has been said so far).

also, this litter was thought to have been born last night.

This is what I said:

Ok, mum's milk may not have come in yet, so be patient. They can go the first 24-36 hours without feeding. I wouldn't supplement anymore for now.

It is probably worth getting them in a nest box. The nest box needs to be open at the top, have high enoguh sides that the babies can't get out and be big enough for mum to turn around in.

Put a layer of shavings in the bottom and then loads of hay and make a hole in the middle and then move the nest they are in now into the hole. then place the nest box where the nest was originally.

If you think mum will be problematical put a drop of vanilla just above her nose and make sure you only smell of her smell (not other animals or anything strong like soap).

If she is laid back you can gently tug on the fur underneath her (around her dewlap and down her nipple line) because the hormones make the fur looser and you can maybe get enough to make the nest better.

That's probably all you need to do for now if that all works.

As an after thought, I wonder what the breeders may think of a heat pad or snuggles safe under the nest box?

Just bumping this up. I'm hoping it will get moved to the Rabbitry where the breeders will see it.

hartz,kitten formula comes to mind-premixed(in can)-ready to go-,purchased at safe way or walmart,etc.,gonna hand rear,eh,got a heating,scale,bottles,eyedropper,,won,t get much sleep for a month,just in case you,ve never done this before,but well worth it,says my three year old cottontail,..he is my baby,.any other questions let me know,..sincerely james waller [email protected]

Thanks for all of your help, but he died about 10:30pm last night. I did all i could.

I'm sorry. I do hope you stick around the forum and keep learning here though.

Binky Free little baby.

Latest posts

Back