Help! Tiny Poos!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittiebot

Reaction score
My little guy has had tiny poos for the past day. The poos are about half as large as they normally are. No mucus or hair connecting them. He has still been eating, but about 1/3 less than normal. He is still acting fine, moving around, still wanting to be pet, no grinding teeth or behavior that would make me think he is uncomfortable. His tummy is not bloated nor is it making gurgleing noises. He's also not shedding.

So far I have done the following to get his body making normal poos:
  • dipped his greens in water
  • given him his favorite greens (kale), he scarfed it up right away
  • cleaned his litter box lots so I know how much he is pooing
  • giving a little less pellets to encourage hay eating
Tonight I am also going to let him run around a lot to get his gut moving.

Am I missing anything? Is there anything else I can do for him? Sorry if I'm being paranoid! I'm petrified of him going into stasis!

An increase in hay consumption and the fiber(along with good moisture intake), is going to be the most helpful thing to get the fecal poop back to normal. The decrease in pellets should help with that. Though it may be more helpful to reduce the amount more or even stop for a day, just to get the GI motility moving better, and to reduce the risk of it developing into full blown stasis. I would also suggest avoiding feeding any sugary starchy foods or treats, including carrots.

Had you recently introduced any new foods into his diet, or has there been anything that could have stressed him recently, that could have been the cause of this? Otherwise it is likely his normal diet just needed to be adjusted. Though there is the possibility of a health problem being the underlying cause. So you will want to keep an eye out for this. If he goes back to eating his normal amounts of food and normal behavior, then there probably wasn't a health problem involved.

This has a pretty good explanation of how stasis occurs.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=484#.UZ8FPbx7LTo.twitter
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.pdf

Last edited:
The only thing I changed in his diet was giving him a larger quantity of greens, maybe he got too full and wasn't eating as much hay? Thats the only idea I have.

Thank you for the info!

Back