Help! Suspect pneumonia!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Archie is 5month old Lionhead, been on antibiotics for runny eyes, drops just finished, then started sneezing, just got home and he's struggling for breath, nose high in the air gulping. Other than that he's acting normally. I've just googled it and seen could be pneumonia!! Have rushed him up to the shower room and steamed with him for 20mins which seemed to help but now we're out he's bad again. I rubbed vapour rub on some toilet rolls and put them where he likes to sit. Plan to steam him again when the water has heated up. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE i CAN BE DOING TONIGHT? SHOULD I RUSH STRAIGHT TO THE VET FOR AN EMERGENCY APPOINTMENT TOMORROW MORNING? I can't bear the thought of losing him... Please help!

Agreed, it sounds like he's having difficulty breathing and should see an emergency vet right away.

Edit: and right away means tonight, not waiting until the morning.

Gasping for breath can also be a sign of cardiac failure. Always an emergency vet situation. The only time I have seen a rabbit gasping, he was in his final hours. I hope your bunny is ok.

Just an update - thanks to everyone for their comments. Archie is doing better. The Vet seems to think he can make a full recovery, there's only a little in his chest so caught it in time. Baytril twice a day and see how he is next week. He's already breathing a little easier, hopefully will only get better. He's so little, is heartbreaking hearing him struggling, all I can do is hope he knows how much he's loved! Really appreciate the support of you all - great forum X

So glad he's doing better and that you got him to the vet in time.

I'm glad to hear you got him to the vet in time. I'm usually a bit more verbose in my answers but based on your original dscription he was really having trouble breathing and a vet visit was really his only option to make him more comfortable.
Welcome to the forum!

We are so glad to hear that Archie is doing better
Hopefully he continues and has a speedy recovery
Get better soon Archie!!!

Latest posts

Back