Help!!! (red urine- is it blood?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, is it really blood, pee can have wiered colours. What does it look like, is it uniform in colour or are there streaks or blotches? Can you get pictures?
Did you check her over thoroughly to see if there is an injury?

Is she acting normal, eating, drinking, nursing?

The kits are several weeks now, right? About 4 weeks? Just in case this was a surprise litter and she was still with a buck when giving birth, or had contact to one later. (in that case and if the blood was on her she probably just gave birth and I would look for the second litter and seperate the first one)

If it is blood, and if the reason is not obvious, I would see a vet asap.

Last edited:
[I've added info to your post title. Please remember to be specific in your thread titles per our Forum Usage Policy.]
12. Make the title to your threads as descriptive as possible. Example "Help My rabbit is sick" could be "My _____ is doing _____.". Moderators may edit your topic title at their discretion.

First, is it really blood, pee can have wiered colours. What does it look like, is it uniform in colour or are there streaks or blotches? Can you get pictures?
Did you check her over thoroughly to see if there is an injury?

Is she acting normal, eating, drinking, nursing?

The kits are several weeks now, right? About 4 weeks? Just in case this was a surprise litter and she was still with a buck when giving birth, or had contact to one later. (in that case and if the blood was on her she probably just gave birth and I would look for the second litter and seperate the first one)

If it is blood, and if the reason is not obvious, I would see a vet asap.
The pee looks like bright red food color, and there was no injuries on her but there is blood colored pee stained in her bottom fur, she’s eating alright and she isn’t really nursing, and the kits are 2months and 5days old and I checked and she didn’t give any birth.

Attachments

• IMG_3311.jpeg
    IMG_3311.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
[I've added info to your post title. Please remember to be specific in your thread titles per our Forum Usage Policy.]
12. Make the title to your threads as descriptive as possible. Example "Help My rabbit is sick" could be "My _____ is doing _____.". Moderators may edit your topic title at their discretion.
Thank you, and I’ll always keep that in mind thank you.

Ummm… I actually called a lot of vet clinics and they said the mother bunny has to get a wellness exam check-up first and they think it’s a urine infection but I’m only 15years old and I really want to fix this problem. But it’s so expensive and I actually take care of my bunnies with my pocket money I get, so can anyone please give me solutions or a vet clinic that’s a low cost? I really want to live with my bunnies as long as they live, so please help me.

Ummm… I actually called a lot of vet clinics and they said the mother bunny has to get a wellness exam check-up first and they think it’s a urine infection but I’m only 15years old and I really want to fix this problem. But it’s so expensive and I actually take care of my bunnies with my pocket money I get, so can anyone please give me solutions or a vet clinic that’s a low cost? I really want to live with my bunnies as long as they live, so please help me.
Hi! Poor thing... You could ask your parent/guardian to call some of the rabbit friendly vet clinics, explain the situation and ask them to pay the bill over a longer period of time. I did that when I was in university and couldn't afford one of the scarier bills. If one of them is nice enough they'll agree to help. You can also email them with a question and attach the photo. If the vet thinks it requires a visit they'll let you know. Alternatively, you could try calling a bunny rescue and ask them for advice since they tend to work with vets and might be able to recommend a cheap option.

Has to get what? If I go to the vet he is supposed to care about the problem at hand. It's not like he has any authority over my animal, be it pet or lifestock.

I reckon vets are partly a luxury accommodation in the US, are there shelters or such that´would offer more reasonable service?

Anyway, I don't really know what to think about it, I'm not a bunny health expert, never had this issue - or never noticed it due to different litter box setup (hay-wood pellets/drop pans/deep litter). Was there any change in diet recently? Is the pee still odd coloured? Behaviour still normal?

Picture indeed doesn't look like it was from kindling, that looks different. I know the "Pee Of Horror" that looks pretty bloody but is normal, but as far as I know that colour changes after a few hours to brownish. Haven't ever seen something like that food-colour red like that.

Hi! Poor thing... You could ask your parent/guardian to call some of the rabbit friendly vet clinics, explain the situation and ask them to pay the bill over a longer period of time. I did that when I was in university and couldn't afford one of the scarier bills. If one of them is nice enough they'll agree to help. You can also email them with a question and attach the photo. If the vet thinks it requires a visit they'll let you know. Alternatively, you could try calling a bunny rescue and ask them for advice since they tend to work with vets and might be able to recommend a cheap option.
Thank you so much, and I could actually tell my parents to help me but I actually made a promise before getting a bunny. I promised that I will not bother my parents with the bunnies and I’ll take all the responsibilities and take care of the bunnies. So if I tell my parents to help me it’s kind of breaking the promise I made with them. And also 2weeks ago, on January 21, we were away from home and when we came back, 4 bunny kits passed away they were only 1months old. It was because they escaped from there house and the one’s that didn’t escape from their house was the mother Molly and the two kits, Snow and Muffin. And they are two months old and my 4 siblings are still sad that they passed away like that and after that happened the mother had the pee color problem. So I’m so worried she might die, and also the little one Snow has a problem with its left leg. So I asked in this bunny forum and they said Snow might have to take an X-ray. That is why I’m finding a solution or a low cost vet. So thank you so much, this is helping me a lot.

Has to get what? If I go to the vet he is supposed to care about the problem at hand. It's not like he has any authority over my animal, be it pet or lifestock.

I reckon vets are partly a luxury accommodation in the US, are there shelters or such that´would offer more reasonable service?

Anyway, I don't really know what to think about it, I'm not a bunny health expert, never had this issue - or never noticed it due to different litter box setup (hay-wood pellets/drop pans/deep litter). Was there any change in diet recently? Is the pee still odd coloured? Behaviour still normal?

Picture indeed doesn't look like it was from kindling, that looks different. I know the "Pee Of Horror" that looks pretty bloody but is normal, but as far as I know that colour changes after a few hours to brownish. Haven't ever seen something like that food-colour red like that.
Umm.. well the mother bunny is kind of hunching and her pee did get brownish color and she is eating well but kind of don’t see her drinking water that often.

It does sound strange. I've dealt with a lot of different vets ( some not great ) before we found a good one but I've never heard anything like that. I'm assuming the vet means they need to see the bunny first to make sure? If they said they think she has a UTI they'll probably want to prescribe antibiotics. I don't know how it works in the US but over here they usually won't prescribe a rabbit antibiotics until they see the animal in person.

Thank you so much, and I could actually tell my parents to help me but I actually made a promise before getting a bunny. I promised that I will not bother my parents with the bunnies and I’ll take all the responsibilities and take care of the bunnies. So if I tell my parents to help me it’s kind of breaking the promise I made with them. And also 2weeks ago, on January 21, we were away from home and when we came back, 4 bunny kits passed away they were only 1months old. It was because they escaped from there house and the one’s that didn’t escape from their house was the mother Molly and the two kits, Snow and Muffin. And they are two months old and my 4 siblings are still sad that they passed away like that and after that happened the mother had the pee color problem. So I’m so worried she might die, and also the little one Snow has a problem with its left leg. So I asked in this bunny forum and they said Snow might have to take an X-ray. That is why I’m finding a solution or a low cost vet. So thank you so much, this is helping me a lot.
Well, it's still worth a try. They might change their mind if you tell them the bunny is sick. For little Snow I would say try a rescue or a shelter and ask for help, an xray will be very expensive. If this is an ongoing issue and your parents aren't willing to help out I would maybe suggest trying to rehome the bunnies. I know this is hard to hear because you love them very much but the reality is you need money and an adult for certain things, there's no way around it. Bunnies are extremely demanding pets and vet bills often get expensive. They will get sick and they will need to see a vet. I hope things work out well. Good luck! 😊

It does sound strange. I've dealt with a lot of different vets ( some not great ) before we found a good one but I've never heard anything like that. I'm assuming the vet means they need to see the bunny first to make sure?

Same here, regarding antibiotics, which imho is a good thing. You can't get any over the counter.

I understand you wanting to be responsible and take care of things yourself, but in this case the most responsible thing you could possibly do is to ask your parents for help. In very serious situations like this, when my kids came to me asking for help or guidance, I never thought any less of them; in fact, I was impressed that they were responsible enough to swallow their pride and ask for help when they needed it. The worst thing they can say, is no. Here's a tip in life - at least until you get older and are 100% living on your own and taking care of yourself, if things you care about start to bleed, that is absolutely the time and type of thing you ask your parents for help with.

Everyone thank you so much for the tips and info and helping me, so I did tell my parents about the bunny situation and they did find this animal hospital that do bunnies. It’s in Los Angeles, it’s a Korean vet clinic and they said they will give us a free check-up on everything because it’s our first time and they’ll tell us what’s wrong with the mother Molly and the baby kit Snow. And we decided to go tomorrow really early in the morning like 2:00am and we did get an appointment at 10:30am. And we did have to go to Los Angeles for my big sister and little brothers teeth check up, so we’re doing the teeth appointment and bunny wellness checkup at the same day tomorrow. And I’ll also use the solutions and recommendations and places to go that everyone gave me and again thank you so much.😊

I understand you wanting to be responsible and take care of things yourself, but in this case the most responsible thing you could possibly do is to ask your parents for help. In very serious situations like this, when my kids came to me asking for help or guidance, I never thought any less of them; in fact, I was impressed that they were responsible enough to swallow their pride and ask for help when they needed it. The worst thing they can say, is no. Here's a tip in life - at least until you get older and are 100% living on your own and taking care of yourself, if things you care about start to bleed, that is absolutely the time and type of thing you ask your parents for help with.
Thank you for the life tip, and my dad did actually told me that, when you really can’t figure things out on your own always tell your parents and we’ll find solutions together and figure it out. And instead of one person figuring it out two person is better, and instead of two person, three person is better, because if there’s a lot of persons you can figure things out fast and they give you more solutions and help you. And again thank you.😊

EXACTLY - very well said on your part! Whenever you can get multiple perspectives/ideas you can usually figure out an answer to the problem you need to solve. Best of luck to you and your family. I hope it all ends up well for you guys.

Back