Help?! Rabbit rejecting litter!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NBHanna

Reaction score
My rabbit gave birth this Wednesday (Oct 30). I left her alone & when I came to check on her a few hours later she was digging the litter out of the nest, then started digging at the kits themselves. I tried calming her but she was getting really aggressive with the kits & I had to take them out of the cage. Later I tried putting them back and she started getting aggressive again and wouldn't let them feed off her. So I've kept them out of the cage and have been holding the mother on her back once a day and letting the kits feed off her, then After that I stimulate them. The kits all seem plump and healthy. Does anybody have any suggestions or anything to help??
This was my rabbits first litter, of 8! All surviving & still going.

Here's a photo from yesterday of the babies, the day after they were born.

image.jpg

just keep doing what you are doing. some does just aren't good moms, particularly the first time around. the digging tends not to be intentional with the kits,... it's just their hormones being off BUT They can hurt the kits so removing them is a good thing. She may overtime chill out, but she also may not. Have her feed them daily (twice is good, but once minimum) until they are 3 weeks old and is she hasn't settled by then the kits will be fine being weaned.

NOTE: starting at two weeks start offering them oatmeal, pellets and hay. Scatter the oatmeal and pellets in their nestbox and have the hay readily available. They'll start eating that and be good to go at three weeks.

Yes... I know many will disagree with me, but I've had to either by doe choice (dying or wanting kits gone) wean kits at 17 days to 21 days. OR by my choice (housing needs, problem in rabbitry etc) had to wean kits early. Post 17 days kits do just fine on hay, oatmeal and limited pellets. You may have to supplement the odd kit with probiotics.

you can use kitten replacer to feed them. just warm it up a little bit. Be careful not to let the milk go down the wrong side. If you have another mother who has just had babies you can try to let the other mother feed them but watch them carefully.

I think that what you're doing is good as long as the doe will tolerate letting them nurse while on her back. Some won't and then you have to hold her on your lap and bring kits under her. Not ideal because the doe can accidentally hurt them. As ladysown said you can start weaning at 3 weeks if the doe makes it too hard for them to nurse. At that point you could supplement with some goats milk or KMR and start weaning them.

Latest posts

Back