Help please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smeelieb

Reaction score
We took our bunny Opie to the vet this morning because he was lying on his side not moving (he's usually very skiddish around people even us.) They gave him a shot and some medicine to help his stomach ( he has diarrhea and the dr. said he is very dehydrated and depressed.) He was doing ok for a few hrs but I just went in to syringe feed him some water as per the dr.'s orders and he is now is lying on his side breathing like he's gasping for air. Our other bunnies did this before dying. Is there ANYTHING I can do to save him?

At this point I don't think there's anything you can do....sorry.How old are/were they?It sounds like it spread from one bunny to the next...were they kept separated?

I am very sorry to report that Opie passed. It actually happened while I was at the computer writing my initial post for help. He was about 6 years old which I believe is pretty up there for a bunny. We had 3 total in separate rectangular enclosures that were side by side. The one that passed a few days ago, Bear, was not next to Opie. Bear was 8.5yrs so it was really his time. I think Opie passing was just a cruel coincidence.

We don't know how both bunnies died within such a close period of time (btw, I made a mistake in my second post. Bear died over a week ago not a few days ago.) Bear was slowly declining for a year or so. He had always had the sniffles but over the past year he started getting these weird sacks in his fur. They seemed to be like growths from his skin but some of them could eventually be pulled gently off him like they were clumps of fur (but they absolutely were not clumps of fur.) Bear's sniffles were getting worse for some time too. His snout was often covered with mucus but he lived with us cleaning it off and giving him Bendaryl off and on for several months. He eventually just gave up. Opie, however, was fine up until this morning. Yesterday he was happy to have his food and had no issues that we saw. This morning my husband went to feed him and he was just lying on his side and wouldn't get up. We took him to the vet and I've pretty much told the rest. We are thinking it's possibly something both bunnies ate. They both loved Kale and carrots and the bunny that is still alive does not eat those things. Maybe there's a recall soon to be implemented on the brands we fed them? Is that a possibility?

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses - losing two bunnies a week apart must be SO difficult :(. I'd be a wreck if I lost even one of my two. perhaps you can at least take some comfort in the fact that they had good, long lives with a loving family who gave them the best possible care.

We are so sorry you lost Bear and Opie. Sometimes it just happens. We know that most of ours are elder buns, so they can go at any time. Coal made it to 13 1/2--she was our Methusaleh. Bun-Bun was 6 and we thought she'd be around for longer. "I don't like it but I guess things happen that way" J Cash.

I have a Hotot Bunny. She is about a yr at the most. Got her from a person who just found her outside. Lately within the last month she has been showing signs of equilibrium issues. I came home last yesterday from work and her one eye was sealed shut and she is not moving around much. I cleaned her eye with warm water, but she is still showing signs of lethargic behavior. Any help!!! Please!

Back