Help please?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
My bun, Wrangler, is being kept in a cage while I am on Spring Break (I brought him home with me). Anyways, he is used to being able to roam free, so I am sure he is frustrated with being kept contained. He has been chewing on the side of his cage (the plastic bottom part), and it makes me nervous that he is doing that. I have even found plastic particles in his whiskers :shock:

It's not like he doesn't have anything to chew on too- he's got two, rather large wooden carrot chew toys, a hanging toy withsix wooden blocks and a bell,a toilet paper roll (he has two of them in there yesterday), and of course his feed and hay to munch on. But he still likes to go over to that one spot and grind his teeth against the siding!Whatshould I do about that? Should I be concerned? I am worried that he is going to hurt himself as well as ruin the cage! But of course I am more worried about him!

& yes, I have been letting him have some free time (at night) when the dog is asleep in my parents' room. Last night he wasn't taken out though...but it doesn't really matter, because he'll chew on the side anyways!

maybe put something bun-safe but nasty tasting on the cage? does he have lots of hay to munch on and keep him busy?

LadyBug wrote:
maybe put something bun-safe but nasty tasting on the cage? does he have lots of hay to munch on and keep him busy?
I don't know of anything that is bun-safe but is nasty?

& yeah he has a ton of hay in there! I guess I could always add more...

I personally wouldn't worry about it to much. I have a pair that the girl liked to chew on the cage and the litter box. As long as Wrangler isn't eating it and just chewing it hell be fine.
If you want to spray something on it try the bitter apple, spray some bunny's hate the taste others like it.

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
I personally wouldn't worry about it to much. I have a pair that the girl liked to chew on the cage and the litter box. As long as Wrangler isn't eating it and just chewing it hell be fine.
If you want to spray something on it try the bitter apple, spray some bunny's hate the taste others like it.
That's the thing...it looks like he's eating it :shock:It's kind of hard to tell...just like his wood chew toys, it looks like he eats the wood too...and then I worry about him getting splinters!

I finally took Tobi's house out of her pen, she had eaten half of it. It was just made of a rubbermaid sort of box, with holes cut on both sides for doors. She would chew on it a lot, and I never found pieces in her pen anywhere, so I know she was eating it.
I got her a pricey willow house thing from Busy Bunny instead, and she hates it. She will hide behind it, but won't go into it, and rarely chews on it.

She has always had lots of toys, and lots of hay, I'm not sure why she liked the plastic so much.

If he is eating in the same spot could you try to put something in front of that spot. Like the litter box or food bowl. Maybe even put a lot of hay in front of it so the hay will distract him. Good luck.

Back