Help please? Rabbit behavior problems?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morning_Snow

Reaction score
Hi! I have been a rabbit owner of two rabbits for about a year as of July. I have had my Rabbit Clover since she was about 8 months old. I adopted her off craigslist(she was free) I could already tell she was having hormone problems right after I got her. For the past year she has been averagely a good bunny, she does dig, chew, and growl but besides that she has been okay. about a month ago I moved her to a C and C cage from her small cage, and since then the behavior has been worse. She now digs alot more, ruining more of my carpet, she now attacks and growls at anyone who approaches her cage, bites everyone(including the toddlers!), she stays up all night being loud and running circles in her cage and growling. This morning she actually jumped out of her cage and hooked her nails and teeth onto my 12 year old sister like a dog! I am at my wits end at this point and almost made a craigslist post for her... I LOVE her so much and don't want to see her go... Is this just hormones or is it something deeper? I AM planning to spay her in jan, but I'm afraid it might not fix this, and if not I don't think I can keep her for the safety of my family. (I never thought I would say that about a bunny!) Help please.. no negativity just advice please!

Spaying will settle her down. Don't write her off yet:)

Okay thank you. I just feel bad for the poor girl at this point- I shouldn't have been putting off the spay for so long.. Is there anything I can do to calm her down until then? I won't be able to do it til after the holidays.

Your best odds are to get her spayed. The sooner, the better. Hopefully she'll calm down. Bad behavior can become a habit. Having my sons little girl rabbit spayed stop a lot of her issues but it didn't stop the digging. We have since designated her to her own dig spot with folded fleece blankets and that has worked out really well. See if you can find some ceramic tiles to put in the corners where she digs the most. Also it sounds like she has some serious cage aggression. A lot of bunnies do, they're very territorial. Don't reach your hand into her cage. Change her food and litter box, etc. When she is not in it. I'm sure others will chime in, but that's our experience. Also there is a video if I can find it about how to pet and rebond with an aggressive rabbit.

Our old girl Thumper was cage aggressive, but she never bit when you reached in (she did lunge, but no bitting) She was never spayed either, so I definately would do what was suggested. Other than that, I don't know what to say other than I hope you get her settled. Hoping for the best for you.

Latest posts

Back