help please need some ideas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolaidsmiiles

koolaidsmiiles
Reaction score
Hi there!*I finally decided what cage I want to get. This will just be a starter cage til I have time to build a nic, this its for a baby Holland lop I am going with the XL size cage. I do plan on litter box training, I've heard if you put bedding on the floor it will get confusing for him. What can I use to put at the bottom of the cage so that, that doesn't happen? Thank you in advance!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23958

You can try a piece of fleece fabric or a few layers of newspaper, but sometimes those just end up getting peed on so you may need to go with nothing on the floor until your bun is litter trained. You will need to make sure the floor isn't too slippery though, so that it doesn't create any joint development problems for the baby bun. If it is too slippery, then you are going to have to use something on the floor, even if the bun pees on it. But once the bun is a bit older then you won't need to worry about that any more. It helps to also place the buns hay in the litter box, either in a corner or in a hay rack. That way the bun will poop in the litter box while it is eating hay.

You can try a piece of fleece fabric or a few layers of newspaper, but sometimes those just end up getting peed on so you may need to go with nothing on the floor until your bun is litter trained. You will need to make sure the floor isn't too slippery though, so that it doesn't create any joint development problems for the baby bun. If it is too slippery, then you are going to have to use something on the floor, even if the bun pees on it. But once the bun is a bit older then you won't need to worry about that any more. It helps to also place the buns hay in the litter box, either in a corner or in a hay rack. That way the bun will poop in the litter box while it is eating hay.

Thank you I may try the fleece or fabric. What about like an old towel that I can wash? Would that be ok? Do you have any idea how long it takes to litter train?

A towel may be ok, but you want to make sure there aren't any loose threads, and you need to make sure your bun isn't chewing it, or you should change to fleece instead. If your bun just digs at it and pulls on it a bit to rearrange it, that's fine. It's when they sit there chewing at it that it can become a problem. When buns chew at towels there is a risk they can ingest the threads which can pose a risk of a rabbit getting a GI blockage. Fleece has shorter fibers and is therefore considered a safer fabric to use with rabbits.

How long it takes just depends on your bun. Some rabbits take to it right away, some take more work and finding solutions to help it work out.

When I was litter training my rabbits I didn't put anything in the bottom of the cage. My female rabbit would pee on the fleece blanket I put in there for her to lay on. I guess just see what happens. I had to remove it until she was litter trained. She really just plays with her blanket both my rabbits would rather lay on the cage floor.

When I was litter training my rabbits I didn't put anything in the bottom of the cage. My female rabbit would pee on the fleece blanket I put in there for her to lay on. I guess just see what happens. I had to remove it until she was litter trained. She really just plays with her blanket both my rabbits would rather lay on the cage floor.

So you didn't put anything on the bottom of the cage floor?

I tried putting a little fleece blanket down with both of my rabbits when I first got each and my male didn't pee on his blanket but my female did so I took it out and no she didn't have anything on the cage floor until she was litter trained. It took a while with her she was difficult. She always pushes her blanket to the side or plays on it but never sleeps on it. I have seen her do mini binkies on hers. Its so cute.

My bun after he was litter trained got a towel to lay on the floor. Plus a crocheted square big enough for him. He likes to lay on it while in his cage. But mostly he is free range except overnight.

Ok.thank you any idea where I can get pieces of fleece?

You can buy fleece at fabric stores like Joann or Hobby Lobby. It's pretty cheap that way if you just need a yard or so.

I tried giving mine fleece, but they either chewed it or didn't really care about it. You'll have to try it and see how your bunny likes it. He may pee on it or chew it, in which case you'll want to take it away. I know it seems like they'd want a nice soft place to lie down, but some bunnies are just content on the cage floor.

You can get fleece blankets from almost anywhere these days, cheap stores, target and walmart, some pet stores even :)

How do I post questions on here ? ._.

Go to the relevant forum, such as "General Discussion" or "Housing and Environment" etc. and then on the left hand side, click on the button that says "New Thread" :)

Latest posts

Back