Help please..mucous in poop *pics*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hadley

Reaction score
My 5 month old holland lop doe has been having stool problems for the pastfew months. On and off, she's been passing poop with a jelly-like transparent mucous attached. I've done my research and I'm not sure what to do...some say vet, some say probiotics, some say the bunnies won't last a week when they start passing mucous.....but it's been over 2 months of this!

She eats like a horse, and drinks plenty of water. Urinates like normal, and most days she poops normal too. BUT just when I think she's back to normal stool, the jelly stuff reappears!

Her stomach isn't bloated and she isn't acting odd. Any ideas what I should do or what is exactly causing it?

Here's some photos I snapped today to better explain..
P1030988.jpg

P1030991.jpg

There are many causes of excess mucous production. Do you have a photo of your rabbit? (One cause in homozygous English Spotting gene)

Because of her markings (charlie), she may be a homozygous broken, which could be related to the intestinial issues. (The same gene that controls neural pigment cell migration also controls neural nerve cell migration to the intestines). In some cases, diet changes may help.

The first thing I'd do is have a fecal float done to rule out parasites.

She is also still a bit young, so her GI bacteria are not stable yet. I would definitely have a vet check her for fecal parasites.

Latest posts

Back