Help! Please give me some answers!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Butterfinger wrote:
katt wrote:
it kinda scares me that you are saying things like "And if it was harmful to her then she would've been gone already"
Agreed :?

Doubly agreed! :tears2:

It's one thing to admit that you cannot get the rabbit to a vet due to finances or some other extreme circumstance...but to have such a casual attitude about a living creature is sad. Maybe you didn't mean to sound uncaring, but that is how you have come across to me.

Again, I urge you to get sound veterinary advice before ever treating any animal.

I also think you really need to think about the title of your thread: You asked for help and answers, and you've gotten them. They haven't necessarily been what you'vewanted to hear - but they've been the right answers.

Please try and understand that we are all very concerned about your bunny's well-being; also that what you're doing now (by stating that you've "cured" your rabbit, etc.) is pretty impolite.

I'm not angry at you, but I would like to see you take these replies seriously. We're all wrong at times, and there is no shame in admitting it - in fact, it's a pretty "big" thing to do.

All that said, you really do need to get this bun to the vet!

Oh my,...:?

What I see here is a lot of people that are concerned about the wellbeing of a bunny....including the owner. Otherwise she wouldn't have asked for help.

I'd give the tri-bac a try for a couple of days. If it clears up, then all should be ok. It won't hurt her if she licks it off...just don't use too much.

But you need to find out what's causing it, too.
If it's her water supply, then you might have to change what she's using or how she uses it.
If it's an underlying medical issue, then it needs to be diagnosed and treated properly with the correct meds.

I wouldn't recommend taking her to the show, unless it's just for a vet or experienced person to check her over for you. Don't risk exposing the other buns at the show.

All-in-all, I'd have a vet look at her just to make sure you're giving her the proper medical treatment.

Oh yeah....Once you get a confirmed diagnosis, we could really used the picture and information for our Reference Library.....with your permission of course.

Keep us updated!!

~Jim

I didn't say I was showing her, if the fur comes back by Sun completly then yes I would,but as of now no I'm not going to but it is a 50/50 if I will or won't.

But yes however it is true that if it was harmful to her she would've been gone,and I am not mean. I love all of my animals very much. I must of spend more than $300+ with all of my rabbits; like feed,equipment,hay,and supplies,etc. And I work my butt off at the farm for 6 hours trying to get paid so I can care for my rabbits. Now you tell me how much I care for my animals espically my bunnies and how much I love them? Now does it sounds like I love my animals or what? But I will take a picture of her later on tonight,and I will post it.

I personally don't think anyone was doubting whether you love them, if they were, then they shouldn't. I can tell from your posts that you care deeply about them.

But at the same time, if you post and ask for help then don't take that advice, that can frustrate people who have taken the time to reply, and you have ignored them.

I'm glad that the cream appears to be working, but you will need to keep a close eye incase there is an underlying cause for this to happen. I'm reluctant to sort of suggest going to the vets because I'm fairly certain it's going to fall on deaf ears, but I still do think that at the very least, watch her very carefully and if it returns or at any other signs of problems, and then get her checked out.

I hope that if you ask for help again that you still get replies from people, and not have people feeling reluctant, or even warey to suggest things to you.

I hope that this is a one off and the cream works and sorts her out.

I put the cream on twice a day:

1st in the morning when I feed

2nd in the afternoon when I feed

I only put just a tiny tiny dab on it. But I do have a few other rabbits that do rub there chin but never have gotten this. But is it a first for me.

But as of taking her to the vet, I know this is personal,but my dad is seriously a jerk and all he cares about is himeself. He left me and my mom without a car for weeks,and we still don't have a car. But we are getting the carback tomorrow so we can go to the state fair to show my animals. Now, the fair is going to be very stressful for me and my mom. Espically now they changed the rules stating that we can't eat nor drink in the barns nor in the livestock pavillion which is just pushing it. And at somedays me and my mom aren't going to be home in time to care for all the animals. Which I am mad about that. And now my rabbits have a feed time,now on Sun. when I was dropping off my photos my dad couldn't even start giving them fresh water,so I was very mad of how my dad couldn't do that for me and when I help him with his business and he can't help me and all he cares about is himself and racehorse.

But yea I am mad at that though, that he couldn't even start feeding, and he said well I'm not sticking my hands in the cages, and I told him you have one rabbit in that barn and you can't help. If I do mention my dad about taking any other animal to the vet,he would get very mad and say I'm not paying for it. But when it comes to horses he cares. Now I hope you are understanding this of why I am taking care of these rabbit by myself and my mom is helping me to.

Yes, I know it was off topic for a bit but that is the truth...

Anyways, I've started putting the cream on last Friday

I am sorry that you are angry with your dad. :(

And I don't at all doubt that you love your bunnies.

Thanks for being open and sharing your personal frustration. It's not really off-topic...it's more like background information. Knowing a little about what you are dealing with helps me to understand better why you seem reluctant to get your rabbit to the vet. I still think a vet visit would be a good idea, but I realize that without the needed money or transportation...that makes it quite difficult.

You said the sore is at a place where the bunny rubs the water bottle. Perhaps you can replace that bottle, or at the very least give that bottle a regular scrubbing and disinfect it. I know your other rabbits don't have similar symptoms. But keeping the bottle clean could help prevent the possible spread of anything infectious.

Also, I would isolate this bunny from the others if at all possible until the sore has fully healed. Isolation can be inconvenient...and the bunny may not prefer it...but I think it's for the best for a while.

You did frustrate some of us who were trying to help you by commenting that if the cream were bad for the bunny it "would have been gone already." Perhaps you could have used a better choice of words to explain what you meant. Saying something more like, "I've used this ointment before" or "My vet recommended this once before" or "She hasn't had any problems with this ointment...here are the ingredients...anything I should worry about?" would get your point across better.

We all have to be reminded from time to time to be careful what words we use. Remember that everyone who answered your post did it because they care deeply about bunnies and bunny owners.

I do hope that your bunny has a full recovery and that things at home get better for you, too. :brownbunny

Bunnicula wrote:
You did frustrate some of us who were trying to help you by commenting that if the cream were bad for the bunny it "would have been gone already." Perhaps you could have used a better choice of words to explain what you meant. Saying something more like, "I've used this ointment before" or "My vet recommended this once before" or "She hasn't had any problems with this ointment...here are the ingredients...anything I should worry about?" would get your point across better.

We all have to be reminded from time to time to be careful what words we use. Remember that everyone who answered your post did it because they care deeply about bunnies and bunny owners.

I do agree that you need to work on your wording, but having said that, I am very blazee about my bunnies dying, and talk about them using words like you do. That is not because I don't love them, but because it hurts too much to think about them dying, so I make light of the situation.

If it's approriate, maybe it might help others if you could explain why you worded it as you did, because I think there are many reasons other than not caring.

If she's using a water bottle maybe you should try offering her a bowl instead.
Leave both for her until you're sure she's drinking from the bowl.... and then remove the bottle.
Sometimes when they drink from a bottle, the water will dribble down their chin and cause a fungus from the constant dampness.

Update when you got 'em, pleeze.

~Jim

JimD wrote:
If she's using a water bottle maybe you should try offering her a bowl instead.
Leave both for her until you're sure she's drinking from the bowl.... and then remove the bottle.
Sometimes when they drink from a bottle, the water will dribble down their chin and cause a fungus from the constant dampness.
Oh, I'm glad Hope uses a bowl for this reason, although the silly thing does tend to dip her ears in the bowl while she is drinking.

I had no idea about this problem and I am glad mine are using water bowls. I hope your bun will be ok. Please though, next time you use a cream, a phone call to the vet to ensure the cream is safe on your bun won't cost you. I know what you mean about vet bills.Since you figurejust a cream is needed, you can at least be worry-free and know that you are using a safe ointment. :pink iris:

Oh I'm sorry your Dad is like that with the bunnies, I can sympathise to an extent, my Dad doesn't get my rabbit love at all. :(

How is the bunny now? Any improvement? I hope it clears up quickly and it's nothing too serious. :pray:As it seems to be improving I'd continue with the cream for a few days, as long as it's safe, and observe the area.

Things can get out of hand when a bunny is involved, everyone posting in this thread cares about your rabbit's welfare and health, just like you, things can get a bit heated, but at the end of the day we all want the same thing - a healthy bunny. :)

If you use a bowl that will cause the wet dewlap to get worse. But even though with her water bottle she rubbed her chin on the bottle so I guess that will cause the wet dewlap too. But right now she doesn't rub her chin anymore.

Later on I will take a picture. :)

hopntailrabbitry wrote:
If you use a bowl that will cause the wet dewlap to get worse.

I have never personally had this problem and all my buns have had bowls, and have had for the past 20 years.

Jim makes sense with his suggestion, so maybe it might be worth a try.

I'm wondering if the person in charge of your local 4-H rabbit club might be able to advise you, too? A phone call to them, or to whoever is assisting, might be one of the best things you could do right now, for both yourself and your rabbits....

With a bowl, she probably wouldn't be rubbing it in the same spot. Bowls only cause problems with a few does who dip their dewlaps into the bowl as they drink. Their fur stays wet there and encourages growth of fungal infections. But if she does drink like this, all you have to do is put a ball in the water bowl that takes up some of the space but still allows her to get her nose in easily.

I am glad she's doing better. My main concern was that you didn't say what kind of ointment you had used and I didn't know if the anti-fungal ointments were safe. And fungal infections can be stubborn. Neosporin is safe as long as it is the regular stuff, not the Plus with painkillers in it.:)

Ok,

here is the pic

100_1117.jpg

I hope you can see. I made sure it wasn't too blurry. You say the blackish grayish that is fur coming in!:DAnd in that area I see little tiny hair coming in.

Thanks. :)

I know it looked horrible in the beginning but now it looks wonderful! I know it is hard to see but if you seen her in person you can see tiny fur coming in.

Latest posts

Back