Help please - from Down Under

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sox

Reaction score
Hi All

Been on the web seeking help and stumbled upon this forum. I have no idea which country this forum is in as didn't have time to look. Typing this at work during my lunch hour.

Anyway I am from Perth, Western Australia. Desperate for some help if I may. Bought a Dwarf X rabbit 2 weeks ago from a pet shop at 7 weeks they say but they can't yell me the sex.

I keep the hutch in the house and every evening I let him out into an animal play pen for about an hour. He/she is still under toilet training. Pee is good goes in litter tray but some poo still goes all over the place but doesn't worry me much as it's easy to sweep up.

My problem is when he/she is fully toilet trained I plan to let him/her out into my study room which has tiled carpets. I tried putting some tiled carpet in his hutch yesterday and all he/she wanted to do was chew it and rip them up from the floor. There goes my future plan to give him/her freedom from being in the hutch on a permanent basis.

Has anyone got some suggestions please?

Maybe try giving your bunny a more fun place to dig. My lop girl used to chew carpet sometimes. She has a couple places where she can play dig and she doesn't seem interested in carpet anymore. Boxes with shredded newspaper can be fun.

I hope you and your new bun can figure something out. Running around is so much more fun!

Welcome to the forum :)

This is pretty much a US based forum, however, the more members from wider areas the better, really :D

I think it's important to remember this is really early days.

I agree that your bunny probably needs more things to stimluate her, but also, young animals, like young children are far more likely to be destructive without realising it (think about little children putting things in their mouths they shouldn't, etc).

Also, in her cage it will be something new to entertain her, maybe when you first start letting her out try it with something like a puppy open around the cage so she has a minimal area and because it is a bigger area with more things to do and be stimulated by she is less likely to be destructo bun on the carpet.

Something else to bear in mind is that when she is spayed/neutered then again she should calm down some more-this should also help with the litter training (although it soundslike she is doing ace for such a young bun).

I'm a bit concerned about the lack of gender because you CAN tell the gender of a rabbit pretty early on-especially those who are very knowledgable, so I think the person who sold her to you (I've just gone with 'her' being a 'she') maybe pulled a fast one there and covered themself primarily in case they got the gender wrong.

A good rabbit savvy vet should be able to tell the gender for you, if you are struggling to tell yourself.

Latest posts

Back