Help please, don't know what to do

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDShorty

Reaction score
So Dori was playin scratching the carpet, she got scared and ran away really fast. I think in the process she got her nail stuck and cut it. I saw her licking her paw A LOT. And I finally investigated and saw her nail was bleeding. She was holding her paw up and not wanting to put pressure on it. I just got Dori over a week ago, so its still really hard to handle her, I've been able to hold her for a couple of minutes, just long enough to see her bleeding nail on her left paw. And she finally got away from me. I don't k now what to do :(, how do I help her?? She keeps licking her paw, I don't know if it hurts or if she's just licking off the blood, help please :?

Can you get a better look? Is the nail broken in the toe or is it just the quick that's bleeding?

If it's broken in the toe, you may need to go to a vets to remove the broken nail and clean it out so it won't get infected. If it's just the quick, you can use a bit of corn starch to help stop the bleeding.

--Dawn

Take a deep breath and say, "Everything will be okay."

Because it will.

It will stop bleeding and she'll be fine.

If you can get hold of her and it's still bleeding,
....take a q-tip, dip it in water and then in some cornstarch.
Press the q-tip onto the nail where it's bleeding.
Flour will work to....if nothing else, direct pressure if needed.
Prepare the stuff before you pick her up.
Do her up in a towel, burrito-style if needed.

Did she rip the nail off or is it still attached?

I can't tell because her whole nail has blood on it. Should I just put flour on it for now and see if it continues tomorrow? Sigh, I'm so distressed for my baby

it looks like the nail is stil there, it doesn't seem to be hanging or anything, from what I was able to glance at in the minute I was able to hold her, it looked like it got cut kind of diagonal. I'm going to wait for my husband to get home to help me put some flour on her nail to make it stop bleeding.

any suggestions on how to get blood of beige carpet?

SDShorty wrote:
it looks like the nail is stil there, it doesn't seem to be hanging or anything, from what I was able to glance at in the minute I was able to hold her, it looked like it got cut kind of diagonal. I'm going to wait for my husband to get home to help me put some flour on her nail to make it stop bleeding.

any suggestions on how to get blood of beige carpet?

Sounds almost like she broke the nail at the quick.
It'll probably stop bleeding by the time hubby gets home, unless it's in the next 15 minutes or so.

Try some white vinegar on the blood stain...works on most everything else.

Flour is usually good for a cut quick when you're clipping the nail, but I wouldn't think it's as good for a wound.

You think the nail itself is cut? or could it be the paw?

If she pulled it on the carpet, she probably did pull it right out from the nail bed. Pipp's done that at least once. Eventually you can tell because the nail is sideways. And then eventually it comes right off no its own -- I thinkone ofPipp's came off during a foot flick likea missle! Good thing I ducked. ;)

I'd wash her pawand make sure its very clean (and if you put flour on it, you have to make sure your hands AND the flour are very clean, which isn't that easy, thus my concern).

You should be able to stem any bleeding by applying pressure. Just rinse her foot under the tap if you can, hold her tight against your body, or just wipe it with a wet, clean cloth, and try and assess the bleeding.

It might be best to put aput a little antibiotic salve on it, likeneosporin, but don't let her lick it off for10 minutes or so. Then wipe off any excess.

She may limp for a few days, but it's a common injury.

sas :clover:

Thank you everyone. It seems the bleeding has kind of stopped. I did manage to grab her and managed to get some flour on the nail. She's not really limping or anything, she was able to run and hop like nothing. Its really hard to tell where the bleeding is coming from because of all the fur, I see nails, but I don't see anything loose or falling off. How many nails do they have on their front paws? (sorry I know it sounds like a stupid question). I've left her alone for now, the poor thing is more distressed from me picking her up than from the actual bleeding, lol. she is so NOT used to being held. When I finally am able to kind of wrangle her and get her in my arms, she is breathing SO hard I'm afraid the poor thing is going to have a heart attack. so i try to hold her for a minute first and pet her so she can calm down a little before I 'try' to see her nail. I'll look again tomorrow and see how its doing. She is a pretty big girl too, so its not the easiest to hold on to her. but it seems to be ok for now, I'll check her again in the morning. Thank you everyone so much for your help.

I was able to get the blood out with hydrogen peroxide :D

Ok, I have another question. Yesterday Dori's nail fell off. She's been picking at it since the incident, and yesterday I saw it on the ground. It looks like the whole nail, and when I picked it up and looked at it, its hollow inside halfway down :shock:. What does that mean? The nail looks like it fell off at the base, but it so weird that half of it is hollow. Does that mean the quick stayed behind or what? Should I be worried? She has been fine so far, hasn't been limping or anything. I didn't try to wrangle her yesterday to try and inspect her nail, I wanted to spare her the stress. Should I do that today, if so what am I looking for?

Soundsexactly like what our S'more did.

She was digging at the carpet, got spooked, went to run and caught her nail in the carpet.
She had pulled the nail from the quick.
It kind of hung off to the side for a day before it fell off. It was also hollow where the quick would have been.

I checked for infection , but basically left it alone.

The nail eventually grew back normal.

If you can get a look at it, you'll most likely find a little pinkish nub where the nail had been.....that's the quick.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another time was when I was clipping Brindle's dewclaw.
I had the clippers on her nail and just as I was clipping she got spooked by the dog barking.
She jerked her paw away and I accidentally pulled the dewclaw off.
It only bled a tiny bit, and she acted like nothing had happened.
That was two months ago and the nail has already grown back quite a bit.

Phew, thank you Jim, that makes me feel better. She seems to be back to her regular bunny business. Now I'm just making sure to be careful when I shoo her way from trying to chew the carpet so she doesn't freak out again, lol.

Latest posts

Back