Help Please, Bunny Not Eating Hay After Procedure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyv

Reaction score
Hi,

Our rabbit, Beans, had bladder sludge and had his bladder flushed on Friday. This required anesthesia and he did well with that. However, since coming home, he wants nothing to do with his Western Timothy Hay. He usually goes crazy for it. He's also not drinking out of his water bowl.
I've had to feed him endive, italian parsley, and a couple baby carrots just so he eats and gets water content. He has no problem eating that. He might eat a strand or two of the Timothy Hay, but that's about it. I also picked up some alfalfa cubes to help and he's nibbled on some of that.
I just can't figure out why he's refusing the hay and water.
Has anyone else experienced this?

I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter!

Thank you very much!

BobbyV

I think I would call the vet. I am more worried about him not drinking water than the hay. Infact I think maybe he might be dehydrated so he doesn't want dry food like hay and thats why he is eating the greens. I think maybe you should be syringing some fluids into him or electrolyte solution. I'm sure after flushing he needs to have lots of fluids going through to keep his bladder clear. Also, long fresh grass could be a good substitute for hay, it has the needed fibre and is abrasive so keeps teeth ground down, until you get him back eating his hay.

When my girl was sterilised, she didn't eat after her op for some time (days). The vet was contacting me to check up on her and I had to take her back for an examination as well. I gave her some "critical care" food formula stuff by syringe. Definitely contact your vet if you haven't already.

Latest posts

Back