HELP PLEASE! 3-4 year old Gerbil in death process

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernAutumn

Autumn - Administrator
Reaction score
Hey guys...
Gerbil. at least 3 years old, from Vet.Laboratory.
Looks ill this morning
Matted, wettish fur.. puffing at intervals. Eyes glazing over.
Excited to recieve craisins and apple, but appears to fall asleep between bites.Little bodily tremors now and then..

Is this death, or respiratory illness?

Vet says 40 to euthanize, 40 for checkup. <--- not really manageable...

Next steps?

Had to go to school...
I was able to stroke Shreddie's head before I left... I've never been able to touch him very much. He was just lying there, falling asleep for about 5 minutes at a time before having another nibble of apple...

I've put a washcloth in there for him if he wants...
I honestly expect him to be dead by the time I get home :(

Called another vet, and the girl at reception said that this is pretty much how her hamsters went too...

This sucks:cry2.

I'm sorry he's so ill. I held my hamster while he passed and it was very similar.... I cried all night while he slept in a towel in my arms.... that's been about 12 years ago..

Poor little guy is still holding on...
He was very excited to receive a cornflake... but fell asleep eating it.
I'm rubbing his ears a lot... I'd love to hold him, but I don't want to upset him any more. He's like a little zombie, slipping in and out of life.

I've never watched a creature of mine die before. It is too sad for words.
Thank you for your words. I hope that he will move through this, but he's had a very long life for a little fella who was supposed to be euthanized after his year as a lab gerbil at a veterinary training college.

He only bit once, and that was during an escape. Nate tried to pick him up from behind a chair... gerbils prefer kraft dinner boxes for travel, thankyouverymuch... :biggrin2:

He didn't look like this at all 2 days ago (school is crazy, so haven't been watching everyone as closely...)

My poor guy:cry2

Aww poor guy. :( I'm good with gerbils but not so much their health. 4 years is a good age for a gerbil. They typically live 3-5+ years. :)

How's his breathing? Have you changed anything lately? Litter type, food, anything new? Keep him warm and comfy, hopefully he'll pull through!

NorthernAutumn wrote:
I've never watched a creature of mine die before. It is too sad for words.
If you need a place to vent - my PM box is open...I won't have much to say - but I do have hugs.

I've been in your shoes - only with rabbits - not gerbils.

I meant to say - and this is up to you totally - but if he isn't in pain and you can hold him - you may wish to do so for a bit.

I think if you don't - you might have regrets later on.

But that is up to you - just going from my experiences...

I really don't want to scare him, or upset him... I would love to hold him, but that would probably not make him feel very good. Today is the first day that I've ever been able to rub his ears...

I feel like I've never gotten to know him the way I should have.

Thanks for your support :) I appreciate it a lot.

What sort of litter is he on? I doubt it's a allergic reaction to his litter but I thought I'd ask.

Poor guy. I hope he pulls through! :( I'm sorry you have to go through this. ((Hugs)) When my first gerbil died I was out of town and my brother called to tell me. My mom said the day before she was all "puffy" looking, eyes half open but she was moving around and eating. Luckily, whatever it was she had didn't effect her two sisters and they are happy and healthy today. :)

I am sorry. This has to be so hard for you. I can't offer any advice but I wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and your gerbil.

Thank you for your kind words, everyone.
He is now refusing food, and will only shuffle a bit in his dreams.
I hope he passes soon now... I don't want him to feel anything...

My god, if I feel like this about my little gerbil, I can't imagine what losing my buns will feel like:(. I can't imagine how so many of you have coped with your losses:hug:.

Boz, it's aspen litter, aquarium tank.

Autumn

That's a perfect setup. :)

We're here for you!:hug: I know how hard it is. I felt bad when my gerbil died. I didn't get to spend her last days with her. She was a sweet girl. She would sit in your hands and was pretty good about not moving around much which made her easy for friends who wanted to hold one of my gerbils. She also would sometimes jump into my hand for treats. Her name was Maxie. She was only about a year and a few months old too. :(

This was her. She even had a little "M" marking on her nose!
P1010024.jpg

I'm feeling kinda frustrated right now... he's refusing to die.
I'm syringing as 50/50 mix of pedialyte into him, in the intervals of crazy action between the zombie states that last about 3-5 minutes..

I don't want him to die... but I also don't want to prolong the process...

Is it possible that he's had some sort of elaborate neurological damage?
He just leapt out of my lap, scurried a little, then sunk down and was still... then did it again.

He's most likely fighting death then. I will have rabbits do that when they are close to dying - its their last ditch effort to fight death.

I'm sorry - because it sounds like his passing won't be as peaceful as I'd hoped it would be.

Latest posts

Back