Help! New baby bunny not eating or pooping.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3buns2015

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and also new to owning rabbits. I have just purchased a mini lop bunny, approx 9 weeks old. Only picked him up yesterday afternoon. He seemed quite fine and active but I have noticed this morning there were hardly any poops and wees in his pen area (he is an indoor bunny). I have seen him drink a bit (not a lot) and he has only eaten a very small amount of hay. He won't touch the pellet mix which the breeder gave me. I am wondering if something could be wrong with him or he is just settling in. Also the mix the breeder gave me is a rabbit/Guinea mix which has seeds in it. I am not keen at all to give it to him but don't want to upset his belly if I start on the pellets I have (oxbow young rabbit).
I would appreciate any advice. Sorry for long post.

It's possible that the stress of moving has simply made him stop eating. Try to encourage hay or pellet eating by hand feeding it, sometimes it can make a difference. In terms of the pellets with the seeds mixed in, if it's what he's used to I would stay with it for now, better than suddenly changing pellet which can cause it's own issues. If you can, perhaps separate most of the seed from the pellets so it's mainly the pellets that remain. The fact that he's pooped at least some is good, does he have a place to hide? If not, add a cardboard box or similar for hiding in, and put some hay in it so that he can nibble while he's in there.

Thank you for your advice. He has finally started pooping and eating more hay, which is a relief. He didn't seem too interested in the pellet mix, which I am hoping is a good thing. He has plenty of places to hide and I did have a box for him to go into.
I also have two other baby bunnies, one is 3.5 months old and the other almost 3 months. They all seem to be getting along well, accept the 3.5 month old keeps trying to hump him (they are all males), I know that's a dominance thing. I have separated them but it makes it worse when they get back together as he humps him even more. Not sure if I should just leave the, together and hopefully it settles down.
All 3 of my bunnies live inside so can keep a close eye on them when I am here.

The 9 week old needs to be separated from the other two. The older ones trying to hump him will just stress him out more. If they aren't fixed, they are at the age where it may be more than just dominance, but a hormonal thing...and this could lead to fighting.

Thank you for your reply/ advice.
The humping has settled right down.
The middle child (nibbles) couldn't care less, he does his own thing and is pretty much a sloth and just likes us patting him. The eldest one (Benji - the humper) likes to keep the other two in line but not aggressive in anyway. We Will be getting him neutered as soon as I can though.
Mocha (the youngest) is starting to come out of his shell, he is eating, pooping and doing all the right things, even though he is more adventurous than the other two, he is still a bit more timid. I am starting to win him over though as he loves head/ear rubs and he lets me hand feed him.
Thanks again for your assistance.

Forgot to mention, they all groom each other and like sleeping together which I believe is a good sign and that they are now bonded. Fingers crossed. 😊

Yes I have, they love them too. I read last night that you shouldn't give them too much Kale, do you know if this is true. There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice on the net.

At those ages, the bond that's been formed is probably just temporary. As the younger two get to the hormonal stage things can easily change. Until they're all fixed just watch for any signs of aggression or fighting.

I've never heard anything negative about kale. I've done a LOT of research since becoming a bunny parent and I've never heard not to give your rabbits kale for any reason. Ice burg lettuce is a big no no along with carrots.

Kale is high in calcium so it should not be fed too much on a daily basis. Greens that are very high in calcium have the potential to cause bladder sludge in some rabbits. Best to limit high-calcium greens to just a couple times per week.

Spinach and mustard greens are also on the "few times a week" recommendation. Basil and green or red leaf lettuces are fine for daily offerings.

Thanks for the advice everyone, i apreciated it. I am def keeping an eye on them. My buns are indoor bunnies and live in our living room. I have already separated one of my buns, they weren't too happy about it but they right next to each other, so can still kind of interact..
Spoke to vet and we are planning to get them neutered as soon as they are old enough.
I researched bunnies before I agreed to adopt but it seems there is more involved then first thought but still so glad they are part of our family, we all love them to bits. Even the husband sneaks cuddles from them when he thinks no one is looking :)

Latest posts

Back