HELP Needed for Young Momma and Newborn Babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much for the words of wisdom and the kind thoughts.

We are trying hard and I sense that she knows what to do, but is just scared. This morning when I was holding her in place so they could nurse, she was reaching down to lick them when they came near her face and it just made me happy to see that. I am trying to keep her calm and not scared hoping that will help too.

I believe I have found an even quieter room in the house to move her to and I'm hoping that will help too!

I have seen the ping pong bellies before in other litters that I've helped at my house, but these two little darlings have not had the ping pong bellies yet. That is why I'm wondering about her milk coming in. I will continue to help her two - three times a day until I start seeing some fat bellies!

Oh, I long for fat, pink bellies!!! Keep the good thoughts coming!

Thanks again! Laura:inlove:

You are doing great. I agree with Wabbitmom12... you can increase the feedings up to 3 times a day to encourage Gillians milk to come in. Have patience and stay calm around her.

Try letting her nurse 3 times a day. Suppliment a tiny bit at night before you go to bed. (What suppliment are you using?) If the babies are hungry during the day, they will suckle harder, encouraging Gillian's milk to come in.

Well, I have some very sad news. We have lost both of the remaining two babies.

Last night about 8pm the first one passed away and then the second one wasn't long after that.

I feel so let down and disappointed in myself and Gillian although I know that is not fair. I wish I could have helped her more or done a better job.

These poor little pumpkins didn't have a chance. I'm so sad!

Thanks for all your help everyone! That is the bright side of this tragedy. I've learned some new things and maybe the next time this happens I will be better prepared and a little bit more knowledgable.

Have a good day!

Laura

Oh, sorry about the little bunners. It's always sad to lose them.She may have been too young, or perhaps didn't have very good care earlier in her pregnancy. It's hard to say. You did your best, and so did Gillian.

Please don't blame yourself... or Gillian. You did everything you could...

You have no idea what kind of diet or care she had while she was pregnant... the babieswere quite chilled before you got them (it can be difficult and tricky to bring them back from that)... You don't know Gillians history... (honestly, she could have had a previous litter already and been physically unable to raise another litter).

So where does Gillian go now?

Gillian was in the shelter when she gave birth and she was scheduled to have her spay surgery on Nov. 27th so we will probably move ahead on that schedule.

I'm going to keep her at my house until this weekend and spoil her some more and then take her back to the shelter this Sunday where she was living for the last couple of weeks.

I am leaving town next Friday for a family vacation, so she will have to be in the shelter so she can be available for her spay.

We don't have any history on her or the other 3 bunnies one of our volunteers found running in a field. Luckily, none of the other females in that group have had babies in the last few days. We're now just hoping that they aren't pregnant too.

Thanks for all of your help and kindness. I do appreciate it very much!

Laura :inlove:

Latest posts

Back