Help! My rabbits vent looks strange! Please Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My rabbit is acting like she is in pain. She's eating, drinking, and pooping alright.
Her vent is sort of red and inflamed with some gray. I have never seen this before and I don't think it is vent problem. She has had it for a few weeks now. Do you have any advise?

Uhm, sounds actually like it is more a vent problem than, say, an ear problem. Urine scald? Is she clean, no matted or soiled fur there?
Vent disease (syphilis)? How old is she?
Impossible to even guess without knowing the circumstances and good pictures.

If you notice her being in pain, it might already be quite severe and high time to act.

Well, I don't want to send her to the vet and pay more money then got her for.
So I'm wandering what to do.

That is a quite sensible argument when talking about mechanics and cars, but the purchase price of a pet is an insignificant part of the real costs, so I would rethink financial planning and put aside a regular amount for occasions like this, start a bunny piggy bank.

Although it doesn't replace a vet (here I can't get almost any meds without a vet, definitly no antibiotica of any kind), first thing I would do is to browse this site for anything that looks like it:
http://www.medirabbit.com/

I agree with both @Nijn and @Preitler that your rabbit will need to see a vet, or the condition will likely get worse. If she is acting like she is in pain, she probably is unfortunately.

Taking care of a rabbit is a lot of work, and that includes finances and research. Even with rabbits who are in perfect health, the owner will very soon spend more money than what they originally got the rabbit from buying monthly supplies. I remember you mentioned in a different post that you believe rabbits are better off being alone as well, so I really encourage you to read further into recommended rabbit care and see what you can and potentially cannot provide. It's never comfortable thinking about or hearing this (especially from a stranger), but a lot of stress for both the owner and pet can be relieved if the decision is it's best to re-home to someone else, that way the owner isn't responsible for something he/she cannot manage at that point in time and the rabbit can get proper care.

If your rabbit does have syphilis (unsure because the pic isn't posted yet, but speaking hypothetically) and it is now symptomatic, it requires medical treatment from a vet, meaning you would need to purchase medication for a minimum of 21 days. Price will vary vet to vet, but I spent $105 on one of his syphilis medications, and had to give it to him via a shot in the back every day. To know what exactly your rabbit is suffering from and what medication/treatment is needed, she needs to see a vet, and yes, that will cost money. What is your budget, if you don't mind sharing? Sometimes gets let you pay in installments.

It's good that you're being observant of her behavior and you are trying to get a good look at what's going on, but it sounds like you'll need some professional support for your rabbit and to do some research on your own about rabbit care and costs.

Yes. I will consider what you said. We (as a family) have had rabbits all our lives so we have noticed that all our rabbits have done the best by themselves.
I'll try to send pics. here in a little bit.

Under the window where you enter the text there's a button "Upload a file". Browse, select the picture, and click "upload attachments", and close the tab when done. There might be limits to the file size.

O well. Every one of the pics. will not upload. I have called the vet and am sending her some pics of it. She is VERY helpful and I recommend her HIGHLY. Here is her info.
Bird and exotic wellness center. (419)-8433137

Back