Help my rabbit suffering with syphilis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottsbunnie

Reaction score
Hello I am new to this forum,
I am excited to be a part of, and hopefully have questions answered.

My first question that I’m having a huge issue with is, I have a two year old Dutch rabbit that has a little bit of a medical issue being born with no tear ducks. So his eyes are constantly running that I have to wipe his eyes. But the huge concern is, I’ve gone to the vet multiple times and I’m not aware of this but I guess it is a real thing bunny syphilis my Dutch rabbit symptoms are him sneezing excessively. Brown, green, dirt comes out of his nose, and he just needs to be taken care of as in cleaned up 24/7.

I need help. I don’t know what to do and I feel terrible.

Treatment I have given so far
From the vet a shot that didn’t work at all

I have been doing incubating treatments, but I am going on the third month that he seems to get better but doesn’t

I would love anyone’s advice, help with what you recommend. Thank you.

I have a bunch of questions to try and figure out what might be going on with your rabbit.

Sneezing and nasal discharge aren't symptoms of rabbit syphilis. Symptoms are bumps and later, lesions around the genitals, mouth, eyes, and nose. Is your vet saying your rabbit has rabbit syphilis? Does your rabbit have any of these symptoms or did the vet do a test to indicate the presence of the bacteria that causes rabbit syphilis?

Medirabbit: rabbit syphilis

Medirabbit: atypical rabbit syphilis

Excessive sneezing and colored nasal discharge are more symptoms of an upper respiratory infection. Does this seem to be what your rabbit has and did your vet mention your rabbit having a URI, and if so was a culture and sensitivity test done on the bacteria?

Medirabbit: respiratory issues in rabbits

Eye discharge can also be associated with a URI. Is there a reason you've been told your rabbit doesn't have tear ducts. Was a scan done to verify this diagnosis?

Was the shot your rabbit got penicillin procaine or penicillin procaine/benzathine, or was it a different antibiotic? How many days a week was it given and for how many weeks? Have any other antibiotics been tried and what antibiotic is your rabbit currently on? Any other medications that your rabbit has been on for this or is currently on like meloxicam(anti inflammatory)?

By incubating, do you mean your rabbit is getting nebulizing treatments, and if so, is just plain saline being used or are there medications being nebulized and which ones? Is your vet a recommended and knowledgeable rabbit vet?

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/

Back