help my rabbit has died

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicdragon

Reaction score
hi guys, i'm a newbie here and unfortunatly my rabbit died suddenly in the night, and i dont know what caused it :(.

toffee had been perfectly well, eating normally, but tea time yesterdaywhen i took their food she seemed a little under the weather notinterested in food at all, which is very unusual. my other rabbitsmudge was fine. then this morning toffee had gone, it was so suddenwhat could it have been?

now smudge seems down and is not eating, and i dont know if its thesame, or if its depressed from losing toffee, i've had rabbits do thatbefore, what do you guys think?

Im so sorry for your loss. Had she been poopingand peeing normally? Sometimes with a bonded pair its difficult totell. It could have been something internal that happened suddenly,like heart failure or something.

I would take Smudge to the vet, just to be sure. Also, make sure he isgetting food and liquid down. He could just be depressed. It might helpto put a little stuffed animal in there (about toffee's size) so he cansnuggle up to that.

Please keep us posted. :pray:

thanks for your reply, i'm not sure if it wouldof been a heart attack because she wasn't right when i fed her, youknow you can tell, so i'm very confused. i hope smudge isdepressed, i will try the toy idea, it might work :thanks:

You'll probably never know. Mybrother's rabbit died randomly in the night years ago. Hedidn't show any signs of any illness or trouble and was eating andeverything. Then he was just dead.

It could have been any number of things (for your rabbit and mybrother's). Sometimes they're literally almost impossible ifnot completely impossible to catch.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'mwondering if you live in the UK, or another area with VHD?Are your rabbits vaccinated? I've heard that many suddendeaths of rabbits in these areas are actually caused by VHD.If your area does allow for vaccinations, please make sure your rabbitsare vaccinated for both VHD and myxomatosis.

IMO I would take Smudge to the vet. She might be depressedfrom loosing her friend, but it's best to make sure. I likeHaley's idea of giving her a stuffed animal to cuddle with.

Binky free, Toffee. :pink iris:

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Iwas thinking the same thing that Naturestee posted regarding VHD if youare in the UK. There was a bad outreak recently. :(

hi, thankyou all for your kind comments. yes ido live in the uk, and have been doing some research on the net, andyou may be right, it does sound very much like it could be VHD :(

hi all, well after a sleeplessnight........ smudge is still with us this morning, and isstarting to eat, so hopefully all will be ok, and smudge is just upsetover losing toffee, thanks again for all your kind words :)

Latest posts

Back