HELP! My rabbit gave birth to a dead baby!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emacanulty

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
my 7 month rabbit gave birth last night totally unexpectedly to one kit. I have no idea how it happened. I am assuming that the kit was born dead due to this being the first litter. The kit was dead when I found it and I tried reviving it by warming it up but it didn't work. Does my rabbit need any extra care since the baby has died? Do I need to do anything else?

No, if she's ok, not bleeding and eating normally no extra care is needed.
There are herbs that help to reduce milk flow, like and mint. See link:
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/herbs-to-increase-milk-production.25806/#post-276617
Give her rest, privacy and somewhat more food and unlimited hay than she would normally need.

How it happened: She was with an intact buck about 4 weeks ago ;). If you don't have a clue how this was possible, after too low fences I got the impression that the next likely thing related to such surprises seem to be curious, well meaning kids with access to the rabbits.

If the buck was with her when she gave birth she quite likely is pregnant again already. Never had any issues with first litters, could be more a problem of small breeds, I guess.

If there is no buck but another doe, the Sex Change Fairy paid a visit.

Thanks so much for the advice,
it probably happened because one of my bucks is an escape artist and probably got in to her enclosure without me knowing lol

Back