Help - my orphan bunny has hurt is leg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aliena

Reaction score
I've got this little wild baby rabbit.He is approximately 12 days old and I've had him for 11 of those days. His eyes have just recently opened and he is fully furred. I have been syringe feeding him and he's been doing ok (although I'm not overly hopefull that he will make it).Today he managed to climb out of his box (somehow) which was on the table and I walked out of the kitchen just in time to see him fall off the table (I'm a bad mother I know!). He is now limping and has his back right leg kind of tucked under (although he still kind of uses it). I don't know what to do. How do I tell if he's in pain? Could a vet do anything? My vet seems a bit sick of me ringing and asking him questions about this rabbit all the time and I don't know that he could do anything anyway. I feel so terrible, he was doing so well (and still kind of seems ok surprisingly). Should I put him to sleep? Can he get a splint or something on his leg? What to do!

His name is Asher by the way and you can see some pics if you click on the links:

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/26/38483326_full.jpg

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/66/38826466_full.jpg

The first one is the day after I got him, the second is a couple of days ago. His ears are starting to stick up a bit now.

Im not sure about in NZ, but would a vet even treat a wild bunny? I dont think they will in the U.S.. Have you checked to see if there are any wildlife rehabbers in your area who are experienced with dealing with wild bunnies? They may be able to help you.

As far as his leg, I know they put splints/casts on domestic bunnies.Is he grinding his teeth in pain? Is he eating and pooping still?

I really have no experience with something like this. I hope someone else has some ideas.

Actually I don't know if a vet would treat a wild rabbit, I hadn't thought of that. I know it's illegal to keep them, maybe I could just say it's a cross breed of some kind. He was grinding his teeth a lot last night (before he hurt his leg) which I thought migt be caused by gas so I gave him some simethicone/infacol today. He is still eating and pooping although is not eating quite as vigarously (sp). And no, we don't have wildlife rehabbers in NZ (at least not for rabbits anyway).

I have a friend who is a wildlife rehabber for cottontails in the US. I know they are a lot different than your wild bunnies, but I figure the basic care is the same. I sent her an email just now asking about the leg. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

Im hoping maybe one of our breeders may have an idea on what to do here with a baby with a broken leg...

Poor little baby.:(

I hope the breeders here have some suggestions, since your wild bunnies are the same species as domestic bunnies. It's possible he just sprained his leg, but I don't know how you would tell unless the fracture was so bad that it was visibly noticeable.

:pray:

If he's limping, he's in pain. I would hesitate to use any pain meds on such a young, wild bunny without first consulting a wildlife rehabber.

Use vet wrap or an ace bandage to stabilize the limb. Re-wrap daily and be careful not to wrap too tightly.

Pam

There are wildlife rehabilitators all over the world - including NZ!:D

Here are some links. Please contact them immediately as wilda nimals do not do well in captivity, the stress can kill them, and they can carry zoonotic diseases that can be passed to you and your other critters. Orphaned animals are particulary suceptible to development defeciencies because the habitat and nutrient requirement for wild animals are very complex, and are difficult to simulate in captivity.

New Zealand Wildlife Health Centre:
http://wildlife.massey.ac.nz/clinic/clinic_intro.asp

Give them a call, and let them know your siutation; and they'll be ableto let you know what the next step to help this little one should be.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Thanks for that info Haley, I think I will take the bunny to my vet today and see if he can wrap it. There doesn't seem to be any obvious break and he can still move it all around so maybe it's just a sprain? Thanks for the link bunnylove but wildlife rehabbers in NZ don't do wild rabbits.I know if you take a possum to a vet or wildlife centre in NZ they are legally required to euthanaise and I think the same might apply to rabbits. I will take him to my vet today and see what he suggests.

I understand that wild animals are difficult to hand raise and don't do well but I figured I might as well give him a chance. I have a doe due to kindle tomorrow so at least then he will be able to get some proper milk (hopefully).

Thanks for the advice, I will let you know how he goes.

Oh, and I will definitely be keeping him (or her), I couldn't possibly part with him now, I'm too attached! And he (or she) will be a de-sexed bunny.

Well, I took Asher to the vet and the vet said that his leg does not look broken. However he seems to move akwardly with both back legs and the vet said it could be scepticemia(sp) in the joints which is apparantly very common in rabbits and they can get it through the umbilicus (or something like that). He then said was I sure he fell of the table and when I said yes, that I saw him, he said that it could be that he has a broken back.My instructions are to give him antibiotics for a couple of days and ifhe doesn't improve then bring him back and get him put to sleep:(. The only good thing was the vet didn't charge me for the visit.

Im glad you were able to get some advice from your vet.

Bless you for trying with this little one. Unfortunately, the chances of him surviving without his mom were pretty low even before the injury. Its great that youre giving him a shot. Please keep us posted and I'll be praying for the little guy.

Yeah, I knew his chances were slim but I can't believe I let him fall off the table! After all the hours I've spent looking after him and getting up in the middle of the night I then go and let him fall off the table! His legs actually seem to be getting worse but he just had the best feed he's every had which seems kind of contradictory. He drank the most he's ever had and did not sit there chewing the teat for ages like he usually does, he just sucked like mad and didn't even choke on it(which he sometimes does). Seems weird. I just hope that if he does die he's not in too much pain.

Back